Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorials on the Western Front

PBI

Can I put in a vote for the anchor memorial at Gavrelle? Admittedly it looks a bit better these days as all the shell cases aren't blue and gold anymore but I have always thought it tacky.

Michelle

I'm sorry that you don't like the RND memorial at Gavrelle

Yes it's modern rather than classical (a sharp contrast with the memorial at Beucourt) but in its way I think that it sums up the task performed; street fighting by a Naval division.

There is another, older, memorial - On 10th May 1917, Asquith paid 60 francs to a carpenter at Hermin to manufacture a large wooden cross which was set up 'In memory of the Officers and Men of the Hood Battalion killed in the capture of Gavrelle, April 1917.' I understand that this is now in the church. [details from Asquith's biography by Capt. Christopher Page RN]

regards

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Just discovered this thread and I have to disagree with most and agree with Le Treport and Ian A: I dont mind the Langemark 'thingy' as far as it goes. As for the piper, you couldn't take it far enough away. It is hideous and I am glad to read I am not alone in thinking this. Don't suppose there is anything can be done about it though. Waiting for a decent patina seems like a forlorn hope to me.

Danny