Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorials on the Western Front

PBI

As we seem to have got off the subject of WW1 with this I'll stay slightly off-topic by voting for the Frank Whittle statue in Gloucester. The fact that I couldn't find a single image of it anywhere on the web is an indication of its artistic merit.

The designer of the jet engine in the home of the Gloster Meteor aircraft, is depicted in a pair of overalls with his hands held over his ears, standing on one leg on a jet engine, no doubt because it's getting a bit hot for his tootsies.

Grrrrrrrr! I'm starting to get angry now.....

the comments from my 8 year old aren't for repeating

Awwww. Go-on. Please! We could do with a laugh.

Out of the mouths.....

I was at Dinant in the Ardenne 14 Days Ago..atop the Medievil Citadel in a museum is.....a Gloster Meteor,the sad part about this is that there is a French WW1 Mil Cem right next Door to the Kids adventure playground..but no c****y Statues thank god.

Just stumbled across this thread and started to read it with the idea that if I felt brave enough I would maybe add the piper statue at Longueval. Late again!!

It must shock many an inebriated Frenchman into sobriety as he staggers out of the bar and catches sight of that thing looming at him on a moonlit night!

Ian

I wonder what the People who had planned this Memorial and raised Money for it thought when they saw the finished effort..i know that a lot of the locals think it is an Eyesore as well.

I can't wait for all comments on the new centre thingy at Langemark :o

I use the word "thingy" as I have no idea what else to call it. :(

Quite agree Derek. The Langemark Thingy is ghastly. The architect (assuming there was one) has been catastrophically constrained by the building being in a German war cemetery. At best it looks like somewhere to park your bike.

The gallant German dead deserved much better.

Haven't seen the "Langemark Thingy". Can anyone point me to a picture (or is it something it'd be best for me not to see in case I get mentally scarred?)

By the way, Andy De Comyn, the sculptor of the Piper memorial, has a website:

http://www.publicart.co.uk/home.htm

It includes his email address and telephone number (in case you want to commission him to design your memorial!)

The guide price for the piper is £20,000 to £25,000 according to his site, not sure who would want to buy it!

Haven't really looked at it properly, next time I'm over I will have to have a closer look

Mandy

The other thing to remember is that you can't really blame the sculptor!

Being arty-farty types, one has to realise that they don't live in the same world as the rest of us. Unless they're kept on a very short leash they'll go off on their art school flights of fancy at the expense of the people commisioning the work, laughing all the way to the bank. I'm pretty sure he would have provided sketches etc., before commencing work, so someone must have approved it.

We'll just have to take solace in the fact that if he makes it to heaven he'll spend eternity being chased by a bunch of very angry WW1 Scotsmen. Certainly not something I'd want!

The guide price for the piper is £20,000 to £25,000 according to his site, not sure who would want to buy it!

Tate modern? Although the Wallace statue is different, it takes talent to produce something that awful. I mean, its not bad, its an outrage!

Jon :)

So we all agree then that the Longuval abomination is possibly the worst memorial known on the Western Front so far ??

So we all agree then that the Longuval abomination is possibly the worst memorial known on the Western Front so far ??

Whilst I can think of several which could maybe be said to be "bland", I cant think of another which leaves me with such a negative impression - and I'm a Jock, - and my grandfather spent the winter of 1916-17 tramping round the Somme (incl High Wood) with 1st Bn 79th Foot, wearing a Kilt of Cameron of Erracht Tartan, so I'd have been overjoyed if "something appropriate" had gone up at Longueval.

Personally I "blame" that well-known quasi-military formation - "The Poetry Brigade" !

And ......... modern military sculpture / commemorations dont have to be arti-farty caricatures. Straying a little bit beyond 1914-19 for example > "Iron Mike""Iron Mike" at La Fiere, which (I think) really gives you a feel for what it represents.

regards - Tom

Willy,

Here you are.............

225481456_2cff1d3944_o.jpg

It has my vote.

It is poles apart from the likes of the striking Australian memorial at Bullecourt or the stunning reliefs on the Royal Scots memorial at Contalmaison.

My Late Dad hated the Memorial..thanks Guys for bolstering my flagging spirits,i thought it was just me becoming bitter and twisted.Dad was told a few years ago by one of the locals,that a lot of the Money raised for the Abomination,did not reach its intended Destination,instead it was creamed off by certain other Fund Raisers,and the El Crappo version installed,which i still think is a total INSULT to ALL servicemen that made the ultimate sacrifice in this Area. :angry:

A truly Brilliant Picture William.

Umm... well, it's rectangular, I suppose and no doubt keeps the rain out.

I mean, you're kidding me, right? This is the workman's hut.

No i am Serious,it has more artistic merit than the thing that sprouted from its loins..I say again Chap,a truly amazing picture !!! :D ,i have saved it to my Pictures.I just wish my Dear old Dad could see it,he would haved loved it !!. :D