Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorials on the Western Front

PBI

I was at Longueval on 17.09.2006. for an act of remembrance at the Village war memorial,needless to say i had an extra close look at the Alien Piper thing from all angles and after a few Beers..and YES it is a Monumental Piece of C**P.Also inspecting this "Thing" were some Members of The Balham Branch of the R.Fusiliers Association,whose comments on said "Thing" were straight to the point but sadly unprintable..one question they all asked was WHY a Piper as many other Nationalitys and Regiments had Fought in this Area,any answers on this question ?

Was in Longueval last week with a couple of people who had never seen the piper before. One described it as a travesty, the other as grotesque.

Supposedly, a piper "going over the bags".

Incidentally, I was asked which regimental badge is missing from the wall behind the statue. It seemed a strange question and I asked the questionner which one it was only to be told, Royal Engineeers.

Now that is not a regiment (I know, it's a Corps) that I would immediately associate with the pipes. Anybody have any clues?

Great carvings especially with a chain-saw.

Kooky - What's your donkey one like, got a picture?

Tony

After WW1 several small towns in Australia planted trees as memorials to their fallen soldiers. Some of the trees have been deemed unsafe and instead of cutting them down a chainsaw artist has transformed them.

Check out Legerwood trees at this site http://www.dorsetonline.org.au/trees.htm

The picture of the donkey is here http://www.skp.com.au/memorials/images/p30098e.jpg

Sorry I don't know how to post a picture.

Thanks Kooky

Received OK but I thought that you were referring to another carving in New Zealand. However, the Simpson ones are a handsome addition to my profile on Kirkpatrick.

Best wishes, Tony

Regarding the ongoing question as to why a Piper at Longueval,i seem to remember a lot of the Fund raising was done by the Somme Battlefield Pipe Band,whose original Founder is a Scots Chap from the Birmingham Area,who runs a Battlefield Tour Company and also Happens to own a House in Longueval.This Gentleman and His acolytes always tried to put across to us Sassenachs on their Tours that the Scottish Divisions won the 1st and 2nd world wars,i am in no way detracting from the parts played by the scots regts in both wars,but it used to get a bit much when having visited various Battlefields to be given a potted history of the Scots Divisions in action in that area.It all came to a head one Day when the Tour Guide and Coach visited High Wood,and the Tour guide started up again about the Scots Battalions etc,when he had finished his speech, my Dad piped up.."I also believe that some English,Irish,Indian,South Africans,Kiwis and Australian Soldiers made an Appearance at the Battle of the Somme !"...this is the censored version.After Dads comment the whole coach Cheered !.Needless to say the Regtimental History lessons stopped forthwith.However The pipe Band Founder seems to have had His revenge..hence the Abomination we see Today.what i still cannot fathom out,is who had the final say on which design for the statue was finally chosen ?,surely other designs were submitted..but who made the fateful choice to select the TRAVESTY and INSULT we see in Longueval Today.

Thats life,the Piper Object has certainly miffed a lot of Forum Members who have expressed their opinions in this thread.I have yet to see a Forum Members comments praising this Object.

After having just read all the posts on this thread i can honestly say i haven't laughed so much for ages what funny comments.

I had no idea what the piper looked like till just now but i can only add he looks like he has had a drop too much of whiskey as even his bag pipe has started to droop...... :D

Sandra

The Wallace statue: why is he gripping a lavatory chain?

If I was pulling a face like that I'd probably be gripping the lavatory seat - perhaps the two are related?

Adrian

• 3 weeks later...

Back to the Langemark 'Thingy/bikeshed', I actually like it.

'Like' isn't perhaps the right word - I found it interesting. Architecturally it fits in with the cemetery behind, although the floor needs better drainage (but not so much that it's mistaken for a pissoir :unsure: ).

Watching the films in a slightly 'uncomfortable' setting made me much more aware of location & history.

I visited the Langemark centre last week and I agree - its stark severity suits the adjoining cemetery perfectly. I visited in the early morning and had the place to myself: I was impressed.

Ian

Ian

Quite agree, why is it that German cemeteries always leave me with a sense of coldness and forboding, whilst with any (including Tyne Cot) CWGC cemetery - I feel uplifted and refreshed?

Rgds

Andy

I missed visiting the Langemark centre because I thought it was for workmen extending the car park -- which is silly really, because I'd just seen an identical one in white at Tyne Cot. Are the colours significant, like black hats and white hats in westerns?

Another building just up from the TC centre houses the WCs. Useful but no one can say they were designed. And they've introduced a sort of one way system for visiting the cemetery as well. All in all, a grave mistake, IMHO.

cheers Martin B

Quite agree, why is it that German cemeteries always leave me with a sense of coldness and forboding, whilst with any (including Tyne Cot) CWGC cemetery - I feel uplifted and refreshed?

After the liberation the people of Belgium were hardly elated by the prospect of German soldioers still on their territory. They charged the Germans vast amounts of money for the land, hence they are so small, and only allowed them a few concentration cemeteries.

By contrast the French and Belgiums were more than happy to provide cemeteries to the British for playing a part in defeating the Germans. Thus the land was given, free of charge, in perpetuity.

Jon

After the liberation the people of Belgium were hardly elated by the prospect of German soldioers still on their territory. They charged the Germans vast amounts of money for the land, hence they are so small, and only allowed them a few concentration cemeteries. Furthermore it was insisted that the graves were kept low, thus out of sight. Finally the Germans had to colour their cemeteries black to indicate war guilt.

By contrast the French and Belgiums were more than happy to provide cemeteries to the British for playing a part in defeating the Germans. Thus the land was given, free of charge, in perpetuity.

Jon

What are the references for the info on German Cemeteries please?

Mick

Indeed. So many myths in a few sentences must be a record.

By the way, weren't you gone Mick?

Regards,

Marco

Andy,

I pick up different vibes from different cemeteries. Langemark, I feel, is brooding - the tall sentinel oaks; the sombre, grieving figures at the back and that deeply moving kameradengrab all combine to create a feeling of dignity in death and duty carried out even at the highest price. The one at Neuville St Vaast has a completely different character. Mind you, it is obviously true for British ones - try comparing Tyne Cot with the Quarry cemetery near Vermelles or Caesar's Nose near Boesinge.

Ian

Indeed. So many myths in a few sentences must be a record.

By the way, weren't you gone Mick?

Regards,

Marco

how can i go when there are so many questions to be asked!

mick

Mick

Sorry Mick, I have few to give. It is what I have gathered over the years from talking to people around the sites.

Marco, you seem fairly certain that I am currently perpetuating myth so would you please elaborate upon what you have written.

Jon