Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Memorial For Sale

neiluwins

Sick is a little strong, disrespectful on the face of it, yet does seem to be something that has been discarded, better I guess it goes to a 'good' home than left to rot and tarnish.

regards

Arm

Is there a Forum member in or near Hale who could quickly ascertain what became of the school and whether there is a successor institution or other suitable location in the area where the memorial could be displayed if someone (perhaps with assistance from other Forum pals) were to buy it?

As someone who was involved in the (successful) campaign to replace the much larger Great War memorial of the Board of Trade (now Department of Trade & Industry: www.dti.gov.uk/warmemorial), which vanished without trace in the 1940s, I think that the most important thing is that at least this memorial has survived intact.

Mick

I can't find any recent reference to Wadham House so presume then school has been been out of business for a long time. Hence, I assume this memorial has similarly "done the rounds" and now finds itself in the hands of an ebay seller who is clearly an "antiques" dealer.

As such, I really don't understand what the problem is is the ebayer buying it and selling it.

BTW, Hale is my part of the world. I don't know if the village has a local hisotry or civic society, but I've dropped an email to a contact at the North Cheshire Family History Society. Hopefully he may know of a local organisation that might want to bid.

Incidentally, I see one of the names is B H Hartley. Not a relative but someone I'm in the process of researching for my Stockport project. He was Lt Bernard Harold Hartley, KIA on 4/11/16 whilst with 20th Lancashire Fusiliers. He had gone out on patrol during the night to inspect some old trenches. Next morning, he was seen lying on the barbed wire close to the parapet. Remembered on the Marple War Memorial and the Manchester Technical College Memorial at UMIST.

Not forgotten.

John

Guest KevinEndon

I've just bid 60 quid and still no joy, not that I thought I would get it for £60 but being that there are 5 days left I thought I would be top bidder. Obvious someone wants it bad.

If you really want to know where it is going then you can contact the current highest bidder. At present he seem to be a collector of medals etc according to the type of buyers he has bought from.

Doug

I have emailed the RAF and Cheshire Military Museums.

Simon

As has been said, it now needs a home having lost it's proper one. Personally I think it is a lovely item which I would love to own temporarily and pass on to a proper place for it. I can see £300 or so - even though putting a cash value on it is invidious.

A quick glance through some of the names reveals the sons of the great (ish) and the good of that part of North Cheshire. Unsurprisingly, a high proportion were officers. Hope it stays (or comes back) to the area.

John

Wadham House was located in Arthog Road, Hale.

Looking at the 1901 census, the principal was one Herbert Ashe, supported by his wife Margaret. There was one other teacher, Thomas P. Brierley……and just two students! Perhaps they were on Easter break at the time of the census.

Wadham House was located in Arthog Road, Hale.

Interestingly, it doesnt appear in the 1914 Kelly's Directory. And probably by then, Ashe had retired. He was then living at The White House, Bank Hall Lane, Hale. More recently Bank Hall Lane was home to footballer Roy Keane.

Arthog Road still exists and is "well posh". House prices starting at around £700k and up to about £1.5 million. A recent study of house prices in the north west makes it the 20th most expensive road in the region (No. 1 is just round the corner apparently).

John (under £300k for a nice detached) Hartley

(Later addition: Wadham House does, however, appear in the 1910 Kellys. So guess is that is Ashe had sold the business and there might have been a period when the school was closed. In any event, the presumed new owners didnt get it into Kellys in 1914)

Edited by John_Hartley

I noticed that the first name on the memorial was E N Ashe. I wonder if he was any relation. The only E N Ashe that I could find on CWGC is:

Name: ASHE, EDWARD NEVILLE

Initials: E N

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Manchester Regiment

Unit Text: 8th Bn. attd. 16th Bn.

Date of Death: 21/03/1918

Awards: MC

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 64 to 67.

Memorial: POZIERES MEMORIAL

Currently £120 bid but still 5 days to go.

Roxy

Roxy

Edward Neville Ashe was born in 1893 in Altrincham, so certainly looks a likely candidate

From the Times 12-7-1918

post-6536-1156260465.jpg

Steve.

Edward N Ashe, 7, son of Edward, 39, stockbrokers agent & Alice, living at the "ingle Nook", Hale in 1901.

Checking earlier censuses, it appears Edward senior and Herbert, the schoolmaster were brothers, both born Eccles, Lancs, and living at Grove Lodge, Barton upon Irwell, with their stock dealer father, Edward in 1871.

So I reckon the man on the memorial was the schoolmaster's nephew.

Jim

Some easy ones

Name: BARONIAN, HARON

Initials: H

Regiment/Service: Cheshire Regiment

Unit Text: 8th Bn.

Date of Death: 11/04/1917

Service No: 33006

Additional information: Son of Zarch and Shushan Baronian, of Brae Cottage, Legh Rd., Knutsford, Cheshire. Cadet of Manchester University O.T.C.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 14 and 62.

Memorial: BASRA MEMORIAL

Name: COOIL, HENRY STUART

Initials: H S

Regiment/Service: King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Unit Text: 9th Bn.

Date of Death: 09/09/1918

Additional information: Son of Robert Henry Cooil, of The Limes, Hale Rd., Hale, Cheshire, and the late Sophia Cooil.

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. H. 11.

Cemetery: GOUZEAUCOURT NEW BRITISH CEMETERY

Name: EATON, JAMES WILLCOX (PROBABLY)

Initials: J W

Unit Text: 20th Bn.

Date of Death: 01/07/1916

Additional information: Son of James Morley Eaton and Alice Annie Eaton. Born at Sharston, Northenden, Cheshire.

Grave/Memorial Reference: VI. I. 5.

Cemetery: DANTZIG ALLEY BRITISH CEMETERY, MAMETZ

Name: LEAKE, ERIC GILBERT

Initials: E G

Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force

Unit Text: 59th Sqdn.

Secondary Regiment: Manchester Regiment

Secondary Unit Text: and 7th Bn.

Date of Death: 31/07/1918

Additional information: Son of James Medley Leake and Florence Leake, of 129, Hale Rd., Hale, Altrincham, Cheshire. Native of Manchester.

Name: ORD-MACKENZIE, DOUGLAS ALLAN

Initials: D A

Regiment/Service: London Regiment (Queen Victoria's Rifles)

Unit Text: 9th Bn.

Date of Death: 24/09/1916

Additional information: Son of the late Mr. W. H. and Mrs. C. Ord Mackenzie, of Albert Square, Bowdon, Cheshire.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 9 C.

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Name: EATON, JAMES BATE

Initials: J B

Regiment/Service: Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Unit Text: 16th Bn.

Date of Death: 10/07/1916

Service No: 23177

Additional information: Son of Emily Eaton, of Hale, Cheshire, and the late Alfred Eaton.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 4 A.

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Name: HAWORTH, PERCY GEOFFREY DU VAL

Initials: P G D V

Unit Text: 18th Bn.

Date of Death: 30/07/1916

Additional information: Only son of George Percy and Florence Lawton Haworth, of 19, Chapel Walks, Manchester.

Grave/Memorial Reference: XXII. I. 1.

Cemetery: DELVILLE WOOD CEMETERY, LONGUEVAL

Name: FARROW, EDWIN PERCY

Initials: E P

Regiment/Service: Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve

Unit Text: Hawke Bn. R.N. Div.

Date of Death: 25/08/1915

Additional information: Son of Edwin and Louisa E. A. Farrow, of "Twyford," Hargate Drive, Hale, Cheshire; husband of Beatrice Mary Farrow. His brother John Worthington Farrow also fell.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Sp. Mem. C. 354.

Cemetery: TWELVE TREE COPSE CEMETERY

Name: LORD, DOUGLAS FREARS

Initials: D F

Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery

Unit Text: "X" 47th T.M. Bty.

Date of Death: 27/05/1917

Additional information: Son of Samuel Frears Lord and S. F. Lord, of "Foxwood", Park Rd., Hale, Cheshire.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Enclosure No.4 Sp. Mem. 32.

Cemetery: BEDFORD HOUSE CEMETERY

Name: LORD, REGINALD HOLLINS

Initials: R H

Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery

Unit Text: "B" Bty. 245th (West Riding) Bde.

Date of Death: 25/11/1918

Additional information: Son of Samuel Frears Lord and Evelyn Lord, of "Foxwood," Park Rd., Hale, Cheshire. Native of Heaton Moor, Stockport.

Grave/Memorial Reference: S. V. I. 2.

Cemetery: ST. SEVER CEMETERY EXTENSION, ROUEN

Name: O'HANLON, SYDNEY ESMOND

Initials: S E

Regiment/Service: Royal Flying Corps

Secondary Regiment: General List

Secondary Unit Text: and

Date of Death: 03/02/1918

Additional information: Son of Sydney and Isabel O'Hanlon, of Windyridge Farm, Dean Row, Wilmslow, Cheshire. Born at Hale, Cheshire.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Crematorium Panel.

Cemetery: MANCHESTER CREMATORIUM

Name: McKIEVER, VICTOR COMLEY (PRESUMABLY)Initials: V C

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 28/05/1915

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. E. 10.

Cemetery: CHESTER FARM CEMETERY

There are several others with a Greater Manchester family connection and who are officers, but it's not possible to make a 100% ID.

John

i think its a shame that its not where it was originally installed There could however be any number of reasons why its not there today

If i had a place where it would look good Id have it - but it wouldnt look right in my living room!