Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gift

MACRAE

Hi all

Just thought I would share this wee item I was given as a gift I thought at first it was just ordanary signatures till I looked at them more closely so far 3 VC winners and 2 DCM winners who knows what other famous people are on there.

Dan

post-2583-1155495294.jpg

post-2583-1155495390.jpg

Bloody Hell, who gave you that?

A friend whom just pulled it out of pocket and said there you Dan a gift for helping me out . He has the medals that goes with it a Capt Ashby I am told will know what Regiment but I am starting to lean towards R.A.M.C. not 100%. There is Cnl's Captn's Brigader's Nurse's and various other signatures on this cloth.

Dan

a very nice and unusual item. Look after it.

That is surely a unique piece. Guard it well.

Dan, do you know how the signatures were got? Was it created a a special gathering of some sort?

Regards

Carninyj

That is surely a unique piece. Guard it well.

Dan, do you know how the signatures were got? Was it created a a special gathering of some sort?

Regards

Carninyj

There is some dates 1914 on the cloth I dont know how he got them but I still assume that he was a Medic of sorts or hospital doctor perhaps these people was injured soldiers as one or two have wounded on blah blah so all I know is he was a Captn and his name was Ashby so once i get the medals I will search from there .

Dan

Thanks for the quick response. What you say is most logical - it's the result of a bit of quick thinking by someone with an eye for History in the making! Marvellous.

Regards

carninyj

Stick it on EBAY

Now awaiting incoming fire from the enemy.

Take cover.

BOOOOM what a GIFT stick it on ebay good gad the man has went native no thank you. Can any one figure out the first signature G W sumit .

Dan

On another issue i have a ORIGINAL American Indian Wars medal and want it researched it is to a Dewitt (Clinton) Peters Lt Col with the letters MC on the medal how can one research this.

Dan

Dan, am I imagining it or are the signatures actually embroidered?

John

Yes they are from information given he had them sign it then his wife embroidered them .

Dan

Lovely item Dan. Have seen similar things before (although not with such illustrious contributors!) - it is probably a napkin that all those present at a dinner signed (often you get this on the menu card from the dinner). The embroidering simply ensures permanence of the memory.

Maybe, if you trace all the signatures you could figure out the occasion...!

Jim

Lovely item Dan. Have seen similar things before (although not with such illustrious contributors!) - it is probably a napkin that all those present at a dinner signed (often you get this on the menu card from the dinner). The embroidering simply ensures permanence of the memory.

Maybe, if you trace all the signatures you could figure out the occasion...!

Jim

Well i dont think it was a dinner as there are a few with the date 1914 and one i think 1916 . I am going to try and make a list and see if any of them are on the CWGC list .

Dan

Well i dont think it was a dinner as there are a few with the date 1914 and one i think 1916 . I am going to try and make a list and see if any of them are on the CWGC list .

Dan

Below just some of the names

Gilbert D Barker C.F. Hawick

D H Robertson LT 6TH A.& S.H.

RgGonald Stewart 6th A.&S.H.

Cpl B Holder R.E. D.C.M.

Enid M Newton Matron 1st E.G.H

Sgt A L Read R.A.MC.

G W Brown 2lt Royal West Kent

F Clough 2lt 5th Yorks Batt

Sgt W Gun 1/0 Motor Cyclists Lovat Scouts

G Y Goad R.F.A.

Arthur Appleby 2lt D.L.I

Webb Major R.A.M.C

Geoffrey Wood R.F.C.

D Wright Loyal Suffolk Hussars

A J Pitt H.M.S.

E G Constable Staff Sgt R.A.M.C E.G.H

F J Williamson H.M.S. Empress

Gnr S R W Perry R.F.A.

Tpr C Day No 596 N.I.Y.

Sgt W J Brown 1ST E.G.H.

J Macdonald Sister Oct 3/14

G Savillpeck Major 3/1st Cambridge Regt

Trooper Bolton Royal Bucks Hussars R.R. Buckingham

B Barker PD 1ST H.M.S. Monarch Grand Fleet

Regtl Sgt Major F G Jones D.C.M. Grenadier Guards

Richard Wagner 12 rgt de ligne classe a tupelle-wespelaer

Theodore Morison 3/1 Cambridge Regt

G F Morley A.S.C.

Sergt J Somers V.C.

Coporal of the Horse Wm Doyle 2 Life Guards

Dr A D Young R.E.

Corpl E Vauser No 2206 1ST Cambridge Rgt

Corpl D Craig Fife and Forfar Yeomanry

G S Whitney Suffolk Yeomanry

Major Pembeaton 4th Cheshire

Coporal Davidson Lovat Scouts

Pte D R Hall 46th Field Ambulance R.A.M.C

Sgt C B Sumpter Fort Garry Horse

Regtl Sgt Major F G Jones D.C.M. Grenadier Guards

There are 4 Jones in GG that won DCM.But no FG.

This one must be the one.

5491 Cr-Sjt (A./RSM) E Jones, G Gds attd Oxf & Bucks LI (LG 3 Mar 1917)

For conspicuous gallantry in action. He displayed great courage and initiative in re-organising the battalion during a heavy bombardment. He has at all times set a splendid example.

I have seen something similar too, It was tablecloth sized and was to do with a recuperation hospital getting signatures as people passed through. Either the nurses embroidered the signatures in their free time as a hobby or wounded soldiers did it as therapy. I can't remember which but lean towards the latter.

There are 4 Jones in GG that won DCM.But no FG.

This one must be the one.

5491 Cr-Sjt (A./RSM) E Jones, G Gds attd Oxf & Bucks LI (LG 3 Mar 1917)

For conspicuous gallantry in action. He displayed great courage and initiative in re-organising the battalion during a heavy bombardment. He has at all times set a splendid example.

Thank you for the information the signatures are a tad hard to read in some cases but this is of great help thank you.

Dan

I have seen something similar too, It was tablecloth sized and was to do with a recuperation hospital getting signatures as people passed through. Either the nurses embroidered the signatures in their free time as a hobby or wounded soldiers did it as therapy. I can't remember which but lean towards the latter.

This is what i was thinking all along it is related to a hospital of sorts will eventualy decode all the signatures .

Dan

Mac,

Here is the link to the Medal card for Gilbert F Barker C.F. Hawick: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=8

Interesting to note the reference to 'Hospital Ship'

C.F. = Chaplain to the Forces

Yes that is intresting with some of the signatures being sailors perhaps it is from a hospital ship well once the owners medals come into my hands i will perhaps know then .

Dan