Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gift

MACRAE

Well i missed the last show in Glasgow was in Belgium when it was here and only 600yds from my house boo hoo. Well back to the drawing board I may take itto the Leeds arms fair in Feb.

DAN

Dan

Here is one of the West York lads, he won a DCM.

Woodham,A F. RQMS [8846] 1Batt [21/10/1918] [shepherd's Bush] For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. This warrant officer came to France with the battalion in August, 1914, serving for the last two years in his present position. During all this period he has performed his duties in a way that has been an admirable example to all ranks. On many occasions it has only been his untiring energy and wholehearted devotion to duty that have made it possible to get stores and rations up to his battalion, often under dangerous and trying conditions. [ MID ] Stayed on in the army after the war with new number 4523683 and later commissioned as Lieutenant into the West Yorkshire Regiment.

Regards Kevin

The 3/1 Cambridgeshire men were home service only; if they did serve overseas it would have been with another battalion which suggests that it is probably connected with a UK hospital?

A lot of the signatures are 1st eastern general hosptal i am thinking it is there that it originates from.

Dan

Just came across this post which struck a chord!

I attended a Military History Conference here in Tasmania in November last year, one of the papers presented was in relation to an object quite similar to this.

Coincidentally the object (in this case a flag) was also owned by a medic.

Here's the blurb:

"Harry Bailey was a young lad from Huonville in Tasmania. He was keen to join the army and be on the front line. In 1915 as shells rained down on the 7th Field Ambulance Station on Gallipoli, Harry Bailey, a stretcher bearer, was badly wounded by shrapnel. The station was evacuated but Bailey was too weak, too sick to walk out. So his mate wrapped him tightly in the station's Red Cross flag to warm him and support him.

They made it down to the beach. Bailey survived.

Now the flag has come home to Hobart. Bailey kept the flag with him and as he travelled back to Tasmania over a period of four years, he collected the signatures of people he met on the flag. There are 515 signatures - an Australia wide if not International list of signatures.

Three years ago the Bailey family donated Bailey's items to the museum. His diaries were amongst them. Now research into all the 515 names begins.

A long but very worthy process."...

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Another Gift i was given last night totaly fantastic condition . This one i am going to have framed as it is a Glasgow branch one with loads of names on it .

Dan

I will have to think of something to give in return for this wonderfull item but what as he is not a collector as such.

Dan

post-2583-1201629377.jpg

post-2583-1201629404.jpg

post-2583-1201629577.jpg

Yes wayne a great historical item i still blink my eye in wonder as how lucky i am so own such a item.

Dan Custodian of History

• 3 months later...
Guest HappyWanderer

Hey I created an account just to reply to this topic!

A truly unique gift that. Guard it with your life.

Im a descendant of G.H. Woolley's and like many people he fought with he was a true hero.

• 14 years later...