Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cigarettes in WW1

DCLI

Jim Clay...might you be thinking of Lucky Strike???

Drummer, my man, I certainly would! (It's Luckies where "it's toasted" isn't it :( )

Thanks

Jim

Another period poster

post-1376-1152836388.jpg

A grandmother's brother, served as an ME (stoker) on Tiger at Jutland, used to mix Gold Flake and Sun Valley tobaccos together for his roll-ups. I followed suit for awhile whilst serving when funds were tight.

Doh!

Must have been having a 'Senior' moment, that should have been Golden Virginia & Sun Valley. :(

Doh!

Must have been having a 'Senior' moment, that should have been Golden Virginia & Sun Valley. :(

Join the club PetrolPigeon! Now is it the baccy wot does it? - or the booze? - or the booze & baccy?

Or are we just getting old? :rolleyes:

Jim

Join the club PetrolPigeon! Now is it the baccy wot does it? - or the booze? - or the booze & baccy?

Neither, its the wild, wild women.

As Henry Allingham would say. :D

Or are we just getting old? :rolleyes:

Jim

I couldn't possibly comment........ :o ...but seeing the Old Holborn (pronounced Ho-burn...no 'L') tin brought back memories of my old mum...wistful grin......

• 3 weeks later...

Smoking Entente :lol:

Gloria

204135.jpg

Smoking Entente :lol:

Gloria

204135.jpg

Strewth, cigarettes were a bit bigger in those days :D:D

• 2 weeks later...

That was to counteract the 3rd light superstition. Smoking these meant you were so far away from the match you'd be safe from snipers.

Strewth, cigarettes were a bit bigger in those days :D:D

Must be his daily 2000 :D

No wonder he's sharing them.

zoo

Just another bit of information from Argentina:

The River Plate Contingent Committee made sure that altogether 83,000 packets containing 1,052,400 Argentine cigarettes reached the Argentine volunteers. My great-uncles wrote about how delighted they were to be smoking Reina Victoria cigarettes in France!!!

Thought you might be interested, as not much is known about volunteers from so far away a country,

LCJ

If we had 6 million men in uniform it is quite likely that more died (eventually) from smoking than from enemy action.

Funny old world!

Gunner Bailey

This was posted in the older thread but is no longer viewable.

post-5500-1155913832.jpg

Just a quick off the top of my head reply regarding cigarettes in ww1.

www.murraycards.com of Hendon produce several publications regarding cigarette cards and if my memory serves me correctly their catalogue lists brands,manufacturers and card series contained within the packets with issue dates etc.

Worth a look if only for the regimental 'silks' cards of the 14-18 period.

Regards

Dion

• 3 weeks later...

Just had an interesting day at the british library newspaper section and found this quote about a relative of mine in a local newspaer of the time. The hospital had just been sent some cigarettes for the soldiers by the local village.

"An Isleham soldier Arthur Fleet has been under treatment for some past weeks at Fordham Hospital and it is hoped he will puff his way back to perfect health".

How times change.

Regards

Phil

Just had an interesting day at the british library newspaper section and found this quote about a relative of mine in a local newspaer of the time. The hospital had just been sent some cigarettes for the soldiers by the local village.

"An Isleham soldier Arthur Fleet has been under treatment for some past weeks at Fordham Hospital and it is hoped he will puff his way back to perfect health".

How times change.

Regards

Phil

That's my kind of hospital - thanks for all the replies and the many tandems on which this topic went.

regards to all, DCLI

Re; 'third light and you're out!'; Still a superstition amongst some of my fellow faggers! I was always led to believe it originated in one of the South African sieges, Mafeking or Ladysmith. As to the original posting, check out Manning's 'Her Privates We' for a useful indication of just how smoking was such an integral part of the experience of the Great War; they light up at almost every possible opportunity!

I recall reading the unpublished memoirs of an officer in a Service btn of the Devons; at the end, he gave a few views on modern life, and one of his observations was with regard to smoking. In his opinion, modern smokers die more due to environmental factors than anything else, especially pollution, since he recalled him and his comrades regularly smoking up to 50 a day with no long-term effects!!!!!

Circumstances differ I guess...

• 4 months later...

This Tortoiseshell Smoking Mixture Tin held a 1914~15 Star Trio:~

Just had a good old read through this thread. One thing I noticed, most references were to Capstan Full Strength. These were sold in a pink packet. The normal cigarette just after the war (1940s) was Capstan medium. blue packet. The three 'good fags' were Capstan, Senior Service and Players. These cost twopence halfpenny each. Woodbine, Weights sold in open paper packets of five , cost twopence. Who remembers

" For your throat's sake, smoke Craven A"? In case you hadn't guessed,I am another ex smoker. Before moving on to the real thing, we used to smoke rolled up newspaper and if anyone had a penny to spare, a stick of cinnamon.

Weights, so called because they were originally sold by weight as was tobacco.

Does any body know if Will's Passing Clouds were available in WW1?

Don't know if they could be got in the trenches, but Wills began the manufactiure of 'Passing Clouds' in 1874.