Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cigarettes in WW1

DCLI

Not exactly equipment, but pretty close.

From various reports/diaries I have read, cigarettes appeared to play a major part in keeping up morale, ie, no food, no tea, but plenty of cigarettes, was acceptable (provided you smoked). Were cigarettes issued as a matter of course? What was the allowance? Did non-smokers also get them and trade them? What brand(s)?

My grandfather (DCLI) smoked until his death (probably didn't help), he was a Woodbines man, through and through, would this have been the major brand then?

Luckily for those chaps, the risks of smoking weren't known so they could smoke away in all innocence and it seem to be that smokers were in the majority. (aarrrrh, the good old days).

DCLI

I don't think the dangers of smoking were understood in WW1 (not that it really mattered given the other health risks!) and cigarettes were often prominent among the comforts sent to troops. I understand that, apart from the fact that troops smoked for pleasure and to alleviate boredom, they also wanted them to kill the smell, indeed the stench, of the trenches. John Ellis says in 'Eye Deep in Hell' (1979) that one private recorded that his 'overriding memory of all his time on the western front was the smell' and that German troops, having taken Cote 304 asked for 'a double ration of tobacco to mask the overwhelming stink of corpses'.

Regards

Carninyj

post-3682-1151924173.jpg

I remember a thread on ciggies and alcohol a year or 2 back - here it is.

In the 50s and 60s, Woodbines still had an image of cheapness, the working man's ciggie or the ciggie for the less well-off (but a step above hand-rolling? :unsure: ), and I'd imagine it was so in 14/18 too.

Jim (lapsed smoker of Old Holborn rollies)

Blimey! My old mum used to smoke Old Holborn rollies. As a kid, one of my treats was to roll her fags for her...times change.....

I guess Woodbines were definitely around in the Great War, but I could reminice for England about cigarrette brands, from my weekend job in a tobacconists in the early 70's. Capstan Full Strength? Certainly madam.....

I remember a thread on ciggies and alcohol a year or 2 back - here it is.

In the 50s and 60s, Woodbines still had an image of cheapness, the working man's ciggie or the ciggie for the less well-off (but a step above hand-rolling? :unsure: ), and I'd imagine it was so in 14/18 too.

Thanks for the link Jim. Very interesting.

When I was a Territorial, and used to smoke, the biggest thing was boredom. I could get through a 100 fags in a weekend exercise. Didn't do my BFT any good but there you are.

There is nothing more comforting when you are wet through than an early morning drag and a cough.

I guess Woodbines were definitely around in the Great War, ...

Definitely, Steve. Look for references to 'Woodbine Willie', popular chaplain, noted for handing out the fags to needy Tommies.

Jim

Capstan Full Strength? Gasp, wheeze - and that's just from remembering the name! :o

What about Weights!

What indeed :) They were Woodbines' main rival I'm sure. Do any old geezers remember when the corner tobacconist/sweetshop would sell 'em individually? I certainly recall buying 5 Woodies.

Weights, so called because they were originally sold by weight as was tobacco.

Does any body know if Will's Passing Clouds were available in WW1?

What indeed :) They were Woodbines' main rival I'm sure. Do any old geezers remember when the corner tobacconist/sweetshop would sell 'em individually? I certainly recall buying 5 Woodies.

This old geezer does. I remember the packets of 5 Nelson, Park Drive etc but I also remember in Scotland (Dundee to be precise) being able to buy one cigarette and one non-safety match (probably a Bluebell) for 3d.

When we were children my grandfather used to make small paper tanks from his empty Woodbine packet. What a man!

Oh yes, and, as DCLI mentions, individual cigarettes (two or three of us in the trees in the park or under the bramble bushes on the waste land the lighting up surrupticious cigarettes) we always had more trouble buying matches than the cigarettes (but then we were all under ten at the time).

As for wartime brands: Woodbine, Weights, have been mentioned. I believe Senior Service and/or Navy Cut were also available.

Red Hussar, Ruby and Scissors also ring bells.

Tom

The Australian born Music Hall star Billy Williams (real name Richard Banks), billed as "the Man in the Velvet Suit", had a hit with "Little Willie's Woodbines" prior to the war. He was a prolific recording artist between 1906 and 1913. His ditty was a favourite of my Grandfather's, who remembered it being popular with the troops in WW1. Williams died after an operation in 1915.

Terry Reeves

puff, cough

post-1376-1151944558.jpg

puff, cough again

post-1376-1151944765.jpg

Cigarettes, cigarettes please send cigarettes. That was an essential and basic wish in Grandfathers field letters. Attached are some translated excerpts from 1914

WW1 was at the peak of cigarette card production and collecting. Other brands include: Gallaher, Taddy's, Wills, Cohen, Weenen & Co.

Cigarettes were amongst the contents of the Princess Mary gift box.

I am attempting to post a newspaper article from the Calgary Herald of May 4th, 1915. It publicizes a promotion by the paper to send smokes to the lads. For twenty five cents one could send to each of two soldiers a package of 35 cigarettes, 2 ounces of tobacco, and a pack of matches. These patriotic endevours were commonplace at the time (as they would still be in a later war!). It sounds wierd to us today, with our knowledge of the harmfulness of smoking, but public knowledge and attitudes were different then.

By the way, in 1915 twenty five cents was an hour's wage at a moderately good job.

post-75-1151954392.jpg

This is from my great uncle Grover Carter's diary:

May 2, 1918 – While on round to batteries was shelled with shrapnel. Took cover in trench. Fairly quiet rest of day. Letter from Dulcie & lot of smoking tobacco from Edgar

Edgar was his brother-in-law (and my grandfather)

Ann

This is from 'Over the Top' page 45

Fags are issued every Sunday morning, and you generally get between twenty and forty. The brand generally issued is the "Woodbine.' Sometimes we are lucky, and get "Goldflakes," "Players," or "Red Hussars." Occasionally an issue of " Life Rays " comes along. Then the older Tommies immediately get busy on the recruits, and trade these for Woodbines or Goldflakes. A recruit only has to be stuck once in this manner, and then he ceases to be a recruit. There is a reason. Tommy is a great cigarette smoker. He smokes under all conditions, except when unconscious or when he is reconnoitring in No Mans Land at night. Then, for obvious reasons he does not care to have a lighted cigarette in his mouth.

Stretcher-bearers carry fags for wounded Tommies. When a stretcher-bearer arrives alongside of a Tommy who has been hit, the following con conversation usually takes place Stretcher-bearer, 'Want a fag? Where are you hit?" Tommy looks up and answers, 'Yes. In the leg."

This is from 'Over the Top' page 45

Fags are issued every Sunday morning, and you generally get between twenty and forty. The brand generally issued is the "Woodbine.' Sometimes we are lucky, and get "Goldflakes," "Players," or "Red Hussars." Occasionally an issue of " Life Rays " comes along. Then the older Tommies immediately get busy on the recruits, and trade these for Woodbines or Goldflakes. A recruit only has to be stuck once in this manner, and then he ceases to be a recruit. There is a reason. Tommy is a great cigarette smoker. He smokes under all conditions, except when unconscious or when he is reconnoitring in No Mans Land at night. Then, for obvious reasons he does not care to have a lighted cigarette in his mouth.

Stretcher-bearers carry fags for wounded Tommies. When a stretcher-bearer arrives alongside of a Tommy who has been hit, the following con conversation usually takes place Stretcher-bearer, 'Want a fag? Where are you hit?" Tommy looks up and answers, 'Yes. In the leg."

Thanks to all for the contributions - I love the stretcher bearer bit - laughed out loud, but it is probably true.

Cigarettes may actually be unhealthy, but there is a lot to be said for morale in an army and as an earlier writer said; compared to what was going on around them, smoking was the least of their problems.

I don't know if there's any truth in it, but I remember being told that you should not take a third light from a match for this reason.

The first strike of the match the enemy see the light, then when the second man lights up they now have a rifle trained on the position, third man to light up and its the last fag he has... Bang !

regards

Phil (an ex-smoker)