Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cigarettes in WW1

DCLI

I don't know if there's any truth in it, but I remember being told that you should not take a third light from a match for this reason.

The first strike of the match the enemy see the light, then when the second man lights up they now have a rifle trained on the position, third man to light up and its the last fag he has... Bang !

regards

Phil (an ex-smoker)

I have heard that too. I have even been with people who blow out the match if they are to receive the third light. They then relight a new match.

This came up on another thread recently....I always believed it came from S Africa, where the Boer farmer could see a mighty long way. Certainly I can remember a mate (no soldier, for sure) refusing to accept the third light, back on the 70's - wonder if it's still current?

I read somewhere that it was the one having the second cigarette lit that copped it.

First sight was when the match was struck, second for the first fag lit and third for the second fag lit.

Not sure if it's true or not in either version. Could be an old soldier's wind up that did the rounds and ended up as "fact" I suppose.

What an interesting thread! Came across this snippet of information on the same topic while reading through Henry Williamson's foreword to the collected editions of 'The Wipers Times'...

"...it was in the trenches at the Eastern edge of the wood that we shared in the Christmas truce. We helped to dig graves for the dead, in Khaki and feldgrau; exchanged gifts (believe it or not, the British tobacco ration at that time was 2000 cigarettes, or two pounds of tobacco, each day). These were 'Gifts for Tommy', organised by English newspapers. Gleaming tins, two-feet square, lay about in the wood; while those way back in the line of communication, were said to be millionaires..."

Yes, it does say that the ration was 2000 (Yes, Two-Thousand!!!) cigarettes per day! Is this right? How on earth could anyone possibly smoke 2000 ciggies in a day?

Dave.

What an interesting thread! Came across this snippet of information on the same topic while reading through Henry Williamson's foreword to the collected editions of 'The Wipers Times'...

"...it was in the trenches at the Eastern edge of the wood that we shared in the Christmas truce. We helped to dig graves for the dead, in Khaki and feldgrau; exchanged gifts (believe it or not, the British tobacco ration at that time was 2000 cigarettes, or two pounds of tobacco, each day). These were 'Gifts for Tommy', organised by English newspapers. Gleaming tins, two-feet square, lay about in the wood; while those way back in the line of communication, were said to be millionaires..."

Yes, it does say that the ration was 2000 (Yes, Two-Thousand!!!) cigarettes per day! Is this right? How on earth could anyone possibly smoke 2000 ciggies in a day?

Dave.

How would they carry them, let alone smoke them, its the equivalent of 10 cartons. If this was true I imagine most of them were dumped - breaks yer heart.

According to the Field Service Book dated 1914 page 168 in the Ration Scales:-

Tabacco, not exceeding 2 oz per week, for those who smoke.

John

A large proportion of the weight carried by the average infantry soldier would have been made up of fags if this were the case.

Just thought I would let everyone know that there is actually an exhibition on at the National Tabacco Musuem in Wervik relating to smoking and cigarettes thoughout WW1 called "Smokes for Soldiers". It has already started and runs until 31st October. I keep meaning to go and take a look but been too busy so far. Maybe one of the local members has already been?

The web address for the musuem is: www.wervik.be and www.nationaltabaksmuseum.be

Liz

My Grandad smoked throughout the Great War. When my Gran gave me his medals and badges 30 odd years ago they had been kept in a Player's Gold Leaf tin.

This came up on another thread recently....I always believed it came from S Africa, where the Boer farmer could see a mighty long way. Certainly I can remember a mate (no soldier, for sure) refusing to accept the third light, back on the 70's - wonder if it's still current?

Yes. it's still current. I ALWAYS refused the third light (though it's only superstition)! You're correct on the origins too. It pre-dates WW1 by quite a few years.

Incidentally, an ex Wehrmacht sniper who I had the honour to have once known laughed at this supertition. Any soldier idiotic enough to light up in darkness in full view of the enemy deserves to be shot. He always said that any decent sniper (or any other observant good shot for that matter!) could notice, aim and shoot on the first light, if he's looking out for it!

dave.

I recall - but cannot reference - a bit in the War Illustrated about pipes being issued.

The caption concluded "...there were no cigarette fiends in the trenches".

On a side note, it used to be pronounced cigar-ette, being a small cigar.

zoo

PS. I really must go out more often, :D

I suspect that many of those commenting on the third light 'superstition' are not smokers or have forgotten the technicalities. The first lighter would turn his back to any wind, duck his head into his chest and cup the match in his hands, concealing the ignition of the match, but probably allowing enough light to escape to attract attention. He would then manoeuvre his hands out towards the second man, who would dip his head to light his cigarette, thereby illuminating the standing man behind him, waiting to take the third light, whereupon the sniper would fire - assuming that they weren't all standing below the parapet of a trench. As Dave says, this 'superstition' predates WW1 by some years - probably South Africa, where men moved around 'on the surface' at night.

Mick

When I was an extra in 'The Monocled Mutineer' (sounds like an Uncle Albert's 'during the war') we were made to smoke Woodbines on set. We felt like a pack of beagles (dogs not cigarettes). As students, being plied with large quantities of free ciggies was a terrible hardship.

Steve

When I was an extra in 'The Monocled Mutineer' (sounds like an Uncle Albert's 'during the war') we were made to smoke Woodbines on set. We felt like a pack of beagles (dogs not cigarettes). As students, being plied with large quantities of free ciggies was a terrible hardship.

Steve

If they film a remake, let me know.

Theire was also the "Teofani Cigarette Factory" Brixton,Londen.

These photo's are from 1916.

Teofani railway crossing was a spot between Dadizeele and Ledeghem (Belgium)

post-11745-1152476079.jpg

post-11745-1152476101.jpg

post-11745-1152476123.jpg

Not exactly equipment, but pretty close.

From various reports/diaries I have read, cigarettes appeared to play a major part in keeping up morale, ie, no food, no tea, but plenty of cigarettes, was acceptable (provided you smoked). Were cigarettes issued as a matter of course? What was the allowance? Did non-smokers also get them and trade them? What brand(s)?

My grandfather (DCLI) smoked until his death (probably didn't help), he was a Woodbines man, through and through, would this have been the major brand then?

Luckily for those chaps, the risks of smoking weren't known so they could smoke away in all innocence and it seem to be that smokers were in the majority. (aarrrrh, the good old days).

On this subject, if you are on the continental side of the channel, the National Tobacco Museum at Wervik Belgium currently has an exhibit on this subject. It will be on exhibit until 31 October. Address is: Koestraat 63, 8940 Wervik, Belgium. www.wervik.be or www.nationaaltabaksmuseum.be

The title of the exhibition is: Smokes For Soldiers, Het tabaksgebruik in en rond de Eerste WO (Smokes for Soldiers, Tobacco use in and around the First World War). Doc2

Not exactly equipment, but pretty close.

From various reports/diaries I have read, cigarettes appeared to play a major part in keeping up morale, ie, no food, no tea, but plenty of cigarettes, was acceptable (provided you smoked). Were cigarettes issued as a matter of course? What was the allowance? Did non-smokers also get them and trade them? What brand(s)?

My grandfather (DCLI) smoked until his death (probably didn't help), he was a Woodbines man, through and through, would this have been the major brand then?

Luckily for those chaps, the risks of smoking weren't known so they could smoke away in all innocence and it seem to be that smokers were in the majority. (aarrrrh, the good old days).

What a great topic! Just as a quicky about the third light...smoking with friends in the 70's we still adhered to this superstition and did not take the third light.

But in a little bit of a more interesting note I recently read some letters from a private in the the DLI. He tells his mother that a friend is sending some 'fags' down and to thanks her for the ones she sent as the were the 'soldiers only comfort'. Interestingly, he later refers to them a cigs and does not use the term fag again.

I don't know if there's any truth in it, but I remember being told that you should not take a third light from a match for this reason.

The first strike of the match the enemy see the light, then when the second man lights up they now have a rifle trained on the position, third man to light up and its the last fag he has... Bang !

I read a quote from a thread just recently where someone was reported killed by a sniper during the second or third light

Gordon.

I read a quote from a thread just recently where someone was reported killed by a sniper during the second or third light

Gordon.

I surpose it really is not about the second or third light as about the time elapsed when a person lights the third cigarette. So you could be snipered on the first light if you took long enough!

Gordon.

I recall that refusing the third light as being habitual even in the RN in the 1960s, old habits ... etc.

I tried Capstan Full Strength but far too strong for regular use, Three Castles I liked and preferred Senior Service to Players. Gold Flake were still avaiable in the 1970s as were Sweet Afton (Sp?). Camels were my later favourite, always non tipped, a habit gained after picking up a load at the PX on Roosvelt Roads,Puerto Rico, when ashore with a troubled F4. Only smoked about 5 a day in later years and none since a myocardial inpharction (Sp?) a few years ago.

My Grandad smoked throughout the Great War. When my Gran gave me his medals and badges 30 odd years ago they had been kept in a Player's Gold Leaf tin.

A grandmother's brother, served as an ME (stoker) on Tiger at Jutland, used to mix Gold Flake and Sun Valley tobaccos together for his roll-ups. I followed suit for awhile whilst serving when funds were tight.

Anoher alternative to Woodbines and Players Weights was Park Drive.

Whilst on board ship an Export Woodbine (of regular cigarette girth) and Craven A were available.

PetrolPigeon's reminiscences about ciggie brands make me think a little wistfully about the joys of a good smoke (I stopped over 3 years ago).

When I started properly, Gold Leaf was my brand of choice (Woodies or Weights had to suffice when money was short!), but monthly pay day allowed us afficionados to splash out on the exotic - French Gauloises or Disque Bleu, American Camels ("it's toasted") or ... no, can't remember the other favoured US brand(s), or, even more occasionally, Sobranie or (too strong for me, too, on a regular basis) Capstan Full Strength (wheeze :blink: ). Eventually settled on Old Holborn roll-ups by choice, and smoked same for more than 35 years. Still like the aroma.

Third light was a common superstition/tradition when I started.

Jim

PS - sorry, this is getting well removed from WW1! :o

post-2135-1152701923.jpg

Player's Navy Cut Virginia - I was told they were no longer available as the sailor from HMS Hero objected to being reclassified as "Low Tar".

Jim Clay...might you be thinking of Lucky Strike???