Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Did Your Ancestor's Take Part in the Zeebrugge & Ostend Raids

Paul D Kendall

Ann

Many thanks for your email. I think I could be able to help you. I have various information relating to the Iris and Daffodil (official reports, accounts from men who were aboard these vessels and casualty lists). If you could please send me your grandfathers full name to the following email address I can look through my extensive Zeebrugge archive and see if I can identify his role during the raid.

My email address is:

Paulkendall291@aol.com

I am in the closing stages of completing my book, so if you would like me to include a photo of your grandfather in my book, I would be happy to do so as a tribute to him.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Paul

Paul ; no doubt you have, but ?

ADAMS Bryan F N/E Lt.Cdr. RN 79D072 N/E Vice Admiral Dover Patrol 21.05.18 G Operations on Belgian Coast 23.04.18 (Zeebrugge & Ostend) To be Commander R.N. to date 23.04.18 This officer was in command of a Company of the Grand Fleet Storming Parties. He was amongst the first to land in spite of great difficulties on the Mole and remained there the whole time, behaving with great coolness and bravery, directing the advance of the naval storming parties towards the lighthouse extension of the Mole with Lt.Cdr. Arthur Leyland Harrison of the Lion until that officer was killed. The captain of the Vindictive reports that in addition to his splended work on the Mole, LtCdr. Adams, with Lt. Cecil Courtenay Dickinson was of the greatest assistance in securing the ship alongside and assisting the retirement from the Mole, and that their work after the ship left the Mole was most valuable.

Sadsac

Dear Ann,

Your grandfather, LJ Cooper, is listed in the membership lists of the Zeebrugge Association as qualifying by dint of his service aboard HMS Termagant, part of the destroyer covering force for the raids on Zeebrugge and Ostend. He is noted initially as living in Stratford but then moves to Whitstable. His date of death is noted as 14/8/84. I have copies of some reunion menu cards which show him as chairman of the association's committee from 1970 to at least 1972.

I would be extremely interested to know if you have any photographs of reunions (hopefully with names on the back).

Best wishes,

Dominic

Hi Domwalsh

I also have a few menu cards--he was still Chairman in 1978.

Unfortunately the only photo, of the 50 + I have, that has names on the back does not identify who is who. The photos are taken at Deal, Ostend and Zeebrugge---there are particularly a number for 1978 when I believe the Associatiion officially disbanded.

Did the Termagant cross the channel?

I keep gettting told that it was only a supply depot and I am sure my grandfather used to say he was torpedoed twice--his records only indicate once--on the Arabia in 1916.

AnnS

• 3 weeks later...

I'm researching my family tree and Alfred Oliver Matthews, Able Seaman RN, 189716, was "Killed in action during operations off Belgian Coast 23 April 1918" according to his service docs.

He is on the CWGC site, and is buried in Greenbank Cemetery, Bristol and he's on the memorial there.

The last ship noted in his docs is "Attentive II (Phoebe).

I'm presuming that because of his date of death and where he died, he must have been on either the Zeebrugge or Ostend raids, but can anyone tell me which one...? And any other info gratefully received.

My mother, who at 81 is the last of the Matthews clan, is the niece of Alfred and I'd like to find out a bit more about him for her.

Cheers, Russell_F97

Russell

I can confirm that Able Seaman Alfred Matthews was aboard HMS Phoebe during the Zeebrugge Raid. I have mentioned him in my book. Here is an extratc from my book which relates to your great uncle

As the destroyer North Star was sinking, HMS Phoebe went alongside to evacuate her crew. German shells were pouring into North Star as this rescue operation was taking place. Sidney Hesse was nearly killed at this moment during the raid. He later recounted: ‘I was talking to three fellows – they were stokers who came up from a manhole down below and asked how the battle was going. I’d never been in action before, and I said that it didn’t look too good to me. Just then a shell hit the funnel where I was standing and blew bits all over the place. It knocked me senseless, and killed these three fellows that I was talking to.’(14).

The three men that Sidney was talking to before they were killed were Stoker Arthur Ada, Able Seaman Charles Howes and Able Seaman Alfred Matthews. Sidney Hesse was knocked unconscious. His life was saved by his lifebelt when a piece of funnel that would have torn into Sidney protected him. As Phoebe returned home, Sidney’s problem of sea sickness recurred during the passage to Dover.

Have you got a photo of Alfred Matthews. if yes, would you like me to include him in my book?

Kind regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

My Grandfathers records declare that he was a Leading Stoker on HMS Vindictive at the time of the Zeebrugge Raid.

His name and details are: Frank George Bowman BEM, Master at Arms RN. K20420.

Are you able to confirm that he took part in this action.

Kind regards

Steve

My Grandfather took part in both the Zeebrugge and the St Nazaire raids in WW1/WW2. He was in the Royal Navy serving i think on the smaller support boats. i think he was Leading Seaman.and his name was Leaney.

Can anybody enlighrten me on the subject.

Thanks

Chef

Hi Paul,

My Grandfathers records declare that he was a Leading Stoker on HMS Vindictive at the time of the Zeebrugge Raid.

His name and details are: Frank George Bowman BEM, Master at Arms RN. K20420.

Are you able to confirm that he took part in this action.

Kind regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

Are the following words included on your grandfather's service record.

‘Participated in ballot for V.C. granted for operations against Zeebrugge and Ostend, 22-23 April 1918. London Gazette 28/07/18’

This would be definite confirmation that he took part in the raid. However there are instances where these words are not included on a sailors service record, when in fact they did take part in the raid.

If it states on his service record that he was serving aboard HMS Vindicitive during the 23rd April 1918 then this suggests that he was indeed a Zeebrugge Raider.

If you have an electronic copy of his service you can always send it to my email address at:

Paulkendall291@aol.com

I can analyse the record for you.

Kind regards

Paul

My Grandfather took part in both the Zeebrugge and the St Nazaire raids in WW1/WW2. He was in the Royal Navy serving i think on the smaller support boats. i think he was Leading Seaman.and his name was Leaney.

Can anybody enlighrten me on the subject.

Thanks

Chef

Chef,

I was very interested to read that your grandfather took part in both the Zeebrugge and St Nazaire Raids. I have not come accross his name in my research, but many men took part in the raid and i do not have a complete list of participants. Do you have his Royal Naval Service record.

If not and if he served in the Royal Navy you can access the Leaney service records on the National Archives using the following link.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...mp;mediaarray=*

You said that he may have been on the smaller boats in which case he may have served in the RNR or RNVR, which means that to access his service record you will need to make a personal visit to the National Archives at Kew.

If you do manage to confirm his involvement, I can send you relevent official documents such as official reports and various photos.

Kind regards

Paul

Steve,

I have checked my files, including the list of those who served on the Vindictive, Iris and Daffodil, plus the Zeebrugge Association lists and can find no mention of a Bowman. Doesn't mean he wasn't in the raid, of course, as he could have been on a support vessel or blockship.

Regards,

Dom

Steve,

I have checked my files, including the list of those who served on the Vindictive, Iris and Daffodil, plus the Zeebrugge Association lists and can find no mention of a Bowman. Doesn't mean he wasn't in the raid, of course, as he could have been on a support vessel or blockship.

Regards,

Dom

Hi again Dom

I put in a posting a while back re John William Helman who participated in the raid and died in 1920 as a result of it but who hasn't been officially commemorated, though this is currently with the Admiralty.

In the course of my research I have found that another Guernseyman, William Mudge, served with him. Helman was certainly on Daffodil i have his service record plus local newspaper reorts - but I'm not sure about Mudge. Any information from you or anyone else would be appreciated as I am researching Channel Islanders who served in the Great War.

People might like to have a look at our website at www.greatwarci.net - contributions and comments always welcome and if we can help anyone please ask.

Best wishes

Liz

Hi again Dom

I put in a posting a while back re John William Helman who participated in the raid and died in 1920 as a result of it but who hasn't been officially commemorated, though this is currently with the Admiralty.

In the course of my research I have found that another Guernseyman, William Mudge, served with him. Helman was certainly on Daffodil i have his service record plus local newspaper reorts - but I'm not sure about Mudge. Any information from you or anyone else would be appreciated as I am researching Channel Islanders who served in the Great War.

People might like to have a look at our website at www.greatwarci.net - contributions and comments always welcome and if we can help anyone please ask.

Best wishes

Liz

Liz,

If you look on the National Archives webiste you can download William Mudge's service record. here is the link.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...;resultcount=14

William John Mudge SS5239

Born Guernsey 31st July 1896

His may record may give you a clue as to whether he took part in the Zeebrugge Raid.

Kind regards

Paul

If you look on the National Archives webiste you can download William Mudge's service record. here is the link.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...;resultcount=14

William John Mudge SS5239

Born Guernsey 31st July 1896

His may record may give you a clue as to whether he took part in the Zeebrugge Raid.

Kind regards

Paul

Thanks for this Paul- he's definitely another Zeebrugge sailor- he has "particiapted in the ballot" on his service record and he was on Hindustan at the right time.

Liz

• 3 months later...

Paul,

I wonder what info you have on this man, PO (NS) Herbert Miller RN. He is not a relative, but a name on a local war memorial. The part of his record in the "seamans register", downloadable from the NA, is clearly stamped as "participating in ballot" for VC awarded for action at Zeebrugee and Ostend. Herbert Miller was serving on HMS Vindictive at the time of his death on 23rd April 1918 and so appears to have been considered for the VC. In fact, as far as I know, he received no posthumous award of any kind.

Paul, this one no relation but have you got. Have many such more.

Regards Sadsac

• 5 months later...

Although in another thread I have mentioned that I have completed my book on the Zeebrugge Raid, if any new members who are related to a person who took part in the Zeebrugge and Ostend Raids in 1918, I would be happy to receive any photos or information in order to update future editions of my book.

You are very welcome to send any information to me at my email address: Paulkendall291@aol.com

Kind regards

Paul

Guest funkymotha

Hi

My Grandad William Vigus was a stoker on HMS Vindictive his picture is in Dover Patrol, he was taking a smoke break on the dock when a photographer asked if he'd join in the picture. He said it was quite funny when he saw the book because it said that they were 'Heroes of Vindictive' he told me they were the clean-up crew that boarded when it docked.

When he came back he went back to his original ship and had a photo taken with the survivors, I have that photo, it's a bit battered as he kept it in his pocket for most of his life and he died at aged 92. I sent a copy to Dom a long time ago but he couldnt open the file. I'd need to find it again and scan it to send it on to you.

Dear LeeAnn

Many thanks for your interesting email. I look forward to looking at the photo of your grandfather aboard HMS Vindictive after the Zeebrugge Raid.

Kind regards

Paul

• 1 year later...

Didn't put this on the ships and navy part of the forum, but here it is for those interested.

Hi All,

don't know too much about the Zeebruge raid, but just had an email from a relative of Captain Halahan. I am mainly interested in his youngest brother Bob killed on my great grandfather's submarine in 1916. But she was telling me the awfully sad story of how he knew that the Zeebruge mission was a suicide mission he was being sent on, and he wrote letters to his wife beforehand saying he loved them, and knew he wouldnt' return etc. This is exactly what he brother Bob did before he left for the Baltic, and again before his last patrol, so much so that Bob had asked his best friend, another Naval officer, to look after his wife and children if anyhting happened, and this indeed he honoured.

DB.

• 1 month later...

Hi all and thanks to those who have helped me with my research on John William Helman. This is in the nature of an update. I recently found some records relating to his medical condition which shows that he was hospitalised with tuberculosis only 6 days after he was discharged from the Navy and well within the CWGC dates for commemmoration. This has now been sent by the CWGC to the Admiralty in the hope that they will accept that he died of an illness contracted whilst on active service so is eligible for CWGC recognition. His death certificate clearly states tuberculosis as the cause of death but the Admiralty were not prepared to accept that it was contracted whilst he was in the Navy. Also I am now in touch with a great nephew of Helman who has photographs, papers and a cutlass that he carried at Zeebrugge. I will rewrite the story when I have full info on all this and it will appear on www.greatwarci.net. Once again thanks to all, especially Dom and Paul, for your help.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Paul,

Not sure if you were aware that Alfred Victor Knight's medals are being auctioned next month. A group of 13 medals including his DSC for the Zeebrugge Raid. I have full details.

Hope the trip to Bullecourt went well. Catch up soon.

Nick

• 1 month later...