Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Did Your Ancestor's Take Part in the Zeebrugge & Ostend Raids

Paul D Kendall

DID YOUR ANCESTOR'S TAKE PART IN THE ZEEBRUGGE RAID (23RD APRIL 1918) OR OSTEND RAIDS (23RD APRIL & 10th MAY 1918)?

If yes please could you contact me. I am interested in personnel from all the services that took part, the Royal Navy, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserves, Royal Naval Air Service, Royal Australian Navy, Royal Marines Light Infantry and Royal Marines Artillery.

I have been researching the Zeebrugge and Ostend Raids with the intention of publishing a book. I would be very interested to hear from anyone who is related to individuals who took part in these operations in 1918 who could provide information or a photo. I am happy to help families with their research if their ancestors took part in the Zeebrugge Raid (23rd Apil 1918) or the Ostend Raids (23rd April and 10th May 1918).

If you can help or need help to research your relative relating to the above mentioned operations please contact me at:

paul.kendall193@btinternet.com

I look forward to your response.

Paul

Guest thigginbotham1

Hi Paul,

Just saw your new message with regards to Zeebrugge and thought i would send this to you as well.

I had just posted this message below to Dom Walsh with regards to my great grandfather i hope it may be of some help.

I forgot to mention though in the WW1 Roll of manchester Ernie is mentioned as taking part in the Raid.

Regards

Tammy

Hi Dom,

I'm afraid i only have at the moment a little bit of family hear say and tales to go on here but maybe you might be able to finally help me put my great grandfather at Zeebrugge.

Great Grandfathers name was

Ernest Thornton Stoker 1st Class

K35837 (i think was his number) on his medal role are two numbers that one and the following pjc128385.

The family story is that he volunteered for the raid and was on one of the blocking ships the Iphigenia. He was taken from the KG5 as a second class stoker for the raid and afterwards made up to stoker first class.

It would be lovely to finally be able to confirm this one, as my gran is so adament that he was there, it was one of the great war bedtime stories that he used to tell her when she was little.

All the very best

Tammy

Hi Tammy,

Many thanks for your email. I do have a copy of his Ernest Thornton's service record and most of the story is confirmed by this document from the Public Record's Office.

His service number was indeed K35837. The record states that he was born in Lancashire on 25th july 1898. His occupation is listed as a carter. He enlisted in the Royal Navy as a Stoker 2nd Class on 16th August 1916. He served on the battleship HMS King George V and was promoted to Stoker First Class on 16th August 1917. He served on the KGV until 22 February 1919.

There is no mention of the Zeebrugge raid, however he could have been one of many stokers who were given the task of taking the blockship HMS Iphigenia to Zeebrugge, who were meant to leave the blockship, but who decided to stay aboard and complete the mission with their shipmates. There is a high possibility that your great grandfather did take part in the Zeebrugge raid, but was no mentioned on his service record, because he was not meant to have been aboard the Iphigenia when she was scuttled across the entrance to the Bruges Canal on 23rd April 1918.

If you are interested I can send his service record and post operation of the report of HMS Iphigenia to you. just write to me at Paulkendall291@aol.com and I can send it to you via email.

Kind regards

Paul

Hello Paul, Welcome to the Forum. Not sure if you have searched other topics in this section yet. Dom Walsh has a simlar project. You might be interested in my post (#4) to his topic at Zeebrugge Raid 1918, Research

Cheers: Terry

Hi Terry,

Many thanks for your email. I am aware of Dominic Walsh's project which is a different focus to mine. He is writing about every RMLI and RMA personnel who took part in the Zeebrugge Raid. My work is a general work, that focuses on the raids on Zeebrugge (23.04.18) and Ostend (23.04.18 and 10.05.18) with accounts of the men from all the services (the RN, RNVR, RNAS, RAN, RE, RMLI and RMA) that took part in the operation.

As for your subject it is very difficult to find further information, because of the circumstances. I could not find anyone with the name George Black Orsborne (or Orsborne) on my casualty list. I have a copy of the casualty list published after the raid and have gone through a casaulty list at the Public Records Office.

The information that I have on ML239 is limited to the following reference in Captain R Collins post operation report which is relevant to ML 239.

'Units G and I proceeded at the times ordered to make and maintain the smoke screens. this was successfully done, and although most, if not all, of the boats were under fire, there were no casualties and no boats hit.' (Source Public Records Office: Document reference ADM 137/3894)

I would be interested to know if you make any headway in your research.

Best wishes

Paul

Paul, Thanks for the info - If nothing else it eliminates trails, saving time when I next get down to the PRO. Nothing is easy with this bloke but I'm not giving up - If and when I can prove or disprove where he was and what he did I'll let you know.

Cheers: Terry

• 2 months later...

Hi Terry,

I have managed to find a magazine article relating to George (Dod) Orsborne's time on the Argosy. The article states that he took part in the Zebrugge Raid and the raids on St. Nazaire, Dieppe, Tobruk raids and the landings at Sicily and Salerno.

I have also bought a book written by Dod Orsborne entitled 'Danger is My Destiny' in which he talks about these operations. Further copies can be bought at:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResu...estiny&x=24

I am finding it difficult to verify his life story. I cannot find his name mentioned in any Zeebrugge Raid documents and the official report of ML 239 states that there were no wounded casaulties amongst the crew, which conflicts with George Orsborne's story. Have you made any advances in your research of this interesting character?

If you would like me to send you the Argosy magazine article written by marion Hargrove send me an emai to paulkendall291@ao.com.

Kind regards

Paul

Paul,

have you seen this?

Attached pic. is inside of Souvenir leaflet produced for a Gift Day July 20, 1918

HM Queen Mary's Royal Naval Hospital Southend-on-Sea.

(With)

Autographs of patients now in the Hospital,

who were wounded in the glorious action at Zeebrugge,

on St.George's Day, April 23rd. 1918.

H.M.S. VINDICTIVE

Malcolm McDONALD Pte.R.M.L.I .

Fredck. SUMMERHAYS A.B.

William FREW Gunner R.M.A.

John TILLETT A.B.

Thomas DARBY Pte. R.M.L.I.

H.M. TBD FAULKNER

Albert WHITE Ldg.Sto.

H.M.S. IRIS

John AHERN A.B.

Kath

Kath,

Many thanks for the information. You have helped me to ascertain what ship Able Seaman John Ahern belonged to during the Zeebrugge Raid.

Thank you so much.

Kind regards

Paul

Hi Paul

No relative, but I am the present custodian of a trio to a K33613 Sto 1 Philip Edwards who was mentioned for Zeebrugge, his papers say he was Late RNVR No BZ208. Born 1 Feb 1894 in Swansea, an ex steel worker, I'm having trouble working out the ships name, It looks like ????II/Mowhawk, also states bullet wound to foot! (must have come right down the funnel!!)

Dont know if this is of any use.

Dave.

Dave,

President II was the accounting base at Dover, and HMS Mohawk was a Tribal class destroyer belonging to the Dover Patrol.

Mick

Dave,

President II was the accounting base at Dover, and HMS Mohawk was a Tribal class destroyer belonging to the Dover Patrol.

Mick

Thanks Mick

It would appear that someone had a great likeing for the 'President' name,

It seems to crop up all over.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

I have looked at Stoker Philip Edwards service record K33613 and I cannot see any evidence to suggest that he took part in the Zeebrugge raid from this document. However I can verify that he did take part in the Zeebrugge raid, because he is listed as being Mentioned in Dispatches in the honours list for the operation in the London Gazette on 23rd July 1918. I cannot confirm which vessel he was assigned to. He may have been one of the stokers who was meant to have taken one of the blockships to the Belgian coast who should have been evacuated on arrival at Zeebrugge, so that a small skeleton crew would take the vessels to be scuttled at the mouth of the Bruges canal. It is possible that he could have been one of the stokers who was determined to see the operation through to the very end, who hid below decks when the boat came alongside to evacuate them. I stress this is speculation and only a theory.

He is not listed as being wounded at Zeebrugge, however I have looked at his RNVR service record BZ208 which states that he received a bullet wound in his left foot on 4th June 1915 while serving in the Dardanelles. He served with C Company, Collingwood Battalion.

If you would like copies of these service records, please send me an email to paulkendall291@aol.com and I cans end them to you electronically.

Kind regards

Paul

Dave,

Apologies, I've got my II's muddled up - the accounting base/shore depot at Dover was Attentive II.

Mick

Dave,

Apologies, I've got my II's muddled up - the accounting base/shore depot at Dover was Attentive II.

Mick

Mick

No need for apologies, I have the benefit of having thething infront of me and I still

cant work it out! but I think I'll take up Pauls kind offer, dont you just love it when

an everyday trio starts to open up like this!

Thanks again

Dave.

Dave,

Many thanks for your email address. I will send the two service records to you by email later today.

Kind regards

Paul

dear pals my great uncle was in the r.m.l i chatham i dont know if he was at the raids .i have a nice studio photo. his name is harold tristram no 6973 . thanks tom.

Tom,

Many thanks for your message. I will look through the 4th Battalion Royal Marines Light Infantry muster list to confirm if your relative took part in the Zeebrugge Raid, when I return home tonight.

Kind regards

Paul

Tom, If you have not already obtained them, there are service papers for your GU at the FAA Museum:

Chatham/6973; TRISTRAM, HJ; Enlisted 17/08/92; Discahrged to PENSION; Date and Place of birth: 17/08/1874, NAAS, CO KILDARE.

H2

Tom,

I have looked at the 4th Battalion Royal Marine Light Infantry Muster List for the Zeebrugge Raid and I am very sorry to say that he is not listed in this muster list as being a participant of the Zeebrugge Raid.

Kind regards

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Paul,

I have an interest in Pte Sam Hopson, RM who I believe was taken prisoner during the Zebrugge raid. I am researching the men of my home town (Ormskirk, Lancashire), and he is one of them.

I have some photographs of him and others of groups of Royal Marines that you may be interested in, plus a newspaper report of his being posted missing. If you pm me your e-mail address I will forward them to you.

Ken