Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Did Your Ancestor's Take Part in the Zeebrugge & Ostend Raids

Paul D Kendall

Although in another thread I have mentioned that I have completed my book on the Zeebrugge Raid, if any new members who are related to a person who took part in the Zeebrugge and Ostend Raids in 1918, I would be happy to receive any photos or information in order to update future editions of my book.

You are very welcome to send any information to me at my email address: Paulkendall291@aol.com

Kind regards

Paul

thanks for the quick reply and the info. my father has in his posession the naval cutluss my grandfather was issued with whilst he was in the 'Iris' for the raid, regards, Richard@honiton

thanks for the quick reply and the info. my father has in his posession the naval cutluss my grandfather was issued with whilst he was in the 'Iris' for the raid, regards, Richard@honiton

Richard,

Pleased that you received my emails and the information.

Kind regards

Paul

• 9 months later...

I have come to this Forum only today. Are you still researching the Zeebrugge Raid? I have a family member who was involved . I have a copy of his service records but some of it is a tad damaged. I can see "participated in ballot for VC..." . Missing is shown in capitals and some lines about POW and being examined. His name is Aloysius Smyth and his number is 230504. The bottom part of his record where all this information is recorded is damaged. Definately Prioner of war and a reference number 30693/18. Examined at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx POW xxxxxxxxx camp. Then something that looks like medal 3079/21.

Can you help me gather some information regarding Aloysius Smyth.

There is a photograph of the OR prisoners taken at Zeebrugge between pages 48 and 49 of 'The Zeebrugge and Ostend Raids 1918' by Deborah Lake. The imposingly burly figure of Aloysius Smith is in the front rank. The photo is credited to Johan Ryheul, who is a member of this forum (Regulus1) and may be willing to post or send you a copy of the photograph.

There is a photograph of the OR prisoners taken at Zeebrugge between pages 48 and 49 of 'The Zeebrugge and Ostend Raids 1918' by Deborah Lake. The imposingly burly figure of Aloysius Smith is in the front rank. The photo is credited to Johan Ryheul, who is a member of this forum (Regulus1) and may be willing to post or send you a copy of the photograph.

Thanks for that. I am restricted from seeing the members list (??) so can't find Regulus1. Any ideas? Also how do you know it is Aloysius Smyth? I am trying to find that out and where the POW camp was and when and how they were released. I am coming up with nothing. I have looked at National Archives (nothing) and the web but cannot find a thing. If someone annotated the Photo then there must be records/history of who the prisoners were and where? Any ideas for where I will find that .

Thanks again

Erin

Mail sent to Erin, photo is ready to be sent... :)

• 1 year later...

Paul....

I know this thread is quite old, but I thought you may like to see the attached scanes...

my Grandad; Thomas Jones was part of the ballot (He may not have had any votes though as his name does not appear in the list posted on another thread - Any more info off the whole list anywhere??)

Grandad was Thomas Jones J37155 so if anyone has more info on him I would be grateful. He served on HMS Canada from 1914 to 1919 with a short switch to HMS Hindustan during the Zebrugge raid. I do not know what part he played or whether he was in the landing partys or what because if he was just on the boat, surely he would not have been in the VC ballot?

In March 1919 he left the navy and then in May 1919 he signed up to (I think) the Merchant navy (Number: 997482) when he then went off on the Archangel Expedition to Russia; returning in December of the same year. If you have any knowledge of any more info about Grandad I would be really pleased to see it. I never knew my Grandad as he died at a young 54 long before I was born....

154_Page_2.jpg

GrandadThomasDischargeBookletPages56009Large.jpg

GrandadThomasVCBallotLetter.jpg

Baz,

Just picking up on a couple of points. It wasn't only the landing parties that were included in the ballot. All those who were aboard the Vindictive, Iris and Daffodil were included, whatever their role.

The ballot list you mention was for the seprate Royal Marines ballot, so not relevant here. Sadly, no trace of the number of votes in the naval ballot(s) exists - at least I've never come across it.

Hope that helps,

Dom

Erin,

Apologies for the delayed response, I am involved with several WW1 projects, a day job as an accountant and caring for my father who was disabled by a stroke.

In answer to your question, am I still looking for information regarding the Zeebrugge Raid is yes. Although my book 'The Zeebrugge Raid 1918: The Finest Feat of Arms'was published in 2008, I have been gathering new information and photos for a revised version which will also include chapters on the two Ostend Raids.

I did remember trying to locate the family of Aloysius Smyth, but was unsuccessful. If you are related to this man I would like to get in touch. Please contact me at paul.kendall193@btinternet.com

Kind regards

Paul

Hi Barry,

Many thanks. If you send me an email at paul.kendall193@btinternet.com I'll get back to you.

Kind regards

Paul

• 6 years later...

I have just taken possession of a collection of my Grandfather's photographs taken in 1918, and am advised by my older siblings that some of the photographs show bombs attached to aircraft at Calshot Spit in preparation for the Zeebrugger raid of April 2018. I understand that my Grandfather (Victor Wilfrid Sayer) was based at Calshot and  worked on the development of naval aircraft for the RNAS.

I attach some low resolution scans; though have these and many more in high resolution. If anyone is interested please get in touch.

Jack Sayer

small p5 lr.jpg

small p6 ur.jpg

small p6 ul.jpg

small p9 lr.jpg

small p7 ll.jpg

small p7 ur.jpg

• 10 months later...

Thanks David - only have the phone at the moment so the preview option is a bit of a struggle!

The OP does not seem to be responding to the previous posts, despite visiting the forum. In the absence of d.o.b./p.o.b. confirmation, I believe her GGF to be Alfred RICHARDS, Off. No. 301912. He served in PHOEBE (on the books of ATTENTIVE II) at Zeebrugge and his record can be found at Kew on this link:-  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6765582

He served from 1902 to demob in 1919. Born 3 Aug 1884 at Plaistow, Essex. He served on loan in the RAN (Off. No. 7706) from 1913 -18 (HMS AUSTRALIA). RAN records here - https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=4551738&isAv=N

Edited by horatio2