Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sherwood Forester Enlistment Date Database

Andrew Hesketh

Hi

Its the first time I have used this forum so not sure if this thread is still live or whether to create a new thread. 

I went to the Somme last year with the school I am a governor at and since read as much as I can about WW1. I also took the family at easter and went back a few weeks ago with school again.

Since I went last year I found out that my great grandad was a solider in the war so I have been trying to find out where he was and what he did.

The details I have got is his name is George Greatorex. He joined the Notts and Derby regiment, number 14491, and then joined the machine gun corp, number 154683.

I have got his medal record from the National Archives but don't understand what it all means.

I would like to find which company, battalion, regiments he was in to try to read up on what they did to try to understand what he did and hopefully visit some of the places he may have been to. 

I may be going to Ypres next year so it would be good to know if he was there.

If anyone could help I would appreciate it or point me in the right direction to look for more info.

Thanks 

Lee

• 11 months later...

I do not know if i am in the correct place, but I was wondering if anyone knew how to find out when my Grandfather John Richard Garfoot joined the 11th Battalion Sherwood Foresters. He was initially enlisted in the 7th Lincs sometime between Sept and Oct 1914 Service No.12976, but at some point ended up in the 11th. This could have been early 1916 after he was sent home with Trench Foot in November 1915, his Notts. Service No. is 73189.

Any help gratefully received.

Mick

33 minutes ago, Mick G said:

I do not know if i am in the correct place, but I was wondering if anyone knew how to find out when my Grandfather John Richard Garfoot joined the 11th Battalion Sherwood Foresters. He was initially enlisted in the 7th Lincs sometime between Sept and Oct 1914 Service No.12976, but at some point ended up in the 11th. This could have been early 1916 after he was sent home with Trench Foot in November 1915, his Notts. Service No. is 73189.

Any help gratefully received.

Mick

#73185 was issued with 11th Bn on 1 Sep 1916 following a transfer from the Lincs - I would suspect that a group of men were probably re-badged following return from illness or injury.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Hi Craig

Many thanks that might make a lot of sense as he was wounded on the 17th of August and on that that notification he was put as Service No.12976, it was just that I was lead to believe that he was transferred earlier and was on the Somme with the 11th. However as with many of his generation he did not discuss this readily so that is quite probably (obviously now) wrong.

Many thanks

The records of 73185 Daniel Pettitt show that he was originally attached to the 11th Battalion Notts & Derby on 13th July 1916 before the official group transfer on 1 September 1916. I have seen this attachment and then official transfer (usually on 1-9-1916) with numerous groups of transfers around this time. It seemed to be the standard way of transferring during July/August/September 1916 before a more efficient way of processing the transfers was set down in the instructions.

I am sure your man followed this same attachment then transfer process on the same dates.

Steve.

Edited by Stebie9173

Thanks very much for this information, it certainly seems to join up a few dots and would answer why his old service number was on the wound notification.

Either way whoever he was fighting with he certainly put a shift in here is a shot of his medals. 

Medal's Front.jpg

Edited by Mick G
spelling

• 3 years later...

Looking for more information on G Palmer 19272 1st Bn Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derbs Rgt).  Only information I can find is CWGC info on his burial in Chambière French National Cemetery and his name and service number on IWM Lives.  Nothing on TNA or ICRC, which makes it unusual.

Thanks for any help

As he died on the 27th November 1918 that's a possible reason why he doesn't appear to be on Soldiers Died in the Great War.

The National Archive has his MiC as George Palmer, landed France 2nd May 1915, so 1914/15 Star, Victory Medal & British War Medal. Not sure what else there would be routinely available on the TNA. https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D4497954

No note on the MiC as to whether he was a PoW or not.

I don't subscribe so can't see the full context, but looks like he appears on a Casualty List in the edition of the Birmingham Daily Post 3rd October 1917 as Missing.  Next of kin is shown as living at Longton. The article will be accessible via British Newspapers \ FindMyPast and I believe now Ancestry, all with the appropriate level of subscription.

Cheers,
Peter

SDGW has died of wounds.

Army Register of Soldiers effects - has - death officially accepted.

Medal Roll and Medal index card show only 1st Battalion

Edited by stevem49
more info

Here is a particularly useful record of enquiry of British Red cross, courtesy Findmypast 

First name(s) G

Last name Palmer

Soldier number 19272

Company H.Q.

Battalion 1

Regiment Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire And Derbyshire Regiment)

Year 1918

Date reported missing  27/05/1918

Enquiry was dated Aug 1918.

Edited by charlie962

You can still get the 1st battalion war diaries from TNA for free. Just register an account with them.

They arrived and took over the sub section of Chateau Segard sector (adjacent to French 14th Division)

enemy snipers active at the time but majority of May it was 'normal' trench routine' and also trench raids. 

They only stayed in this sector for three weeks before returning to the Ypres sector.

From his grave location, he could have been captured by enemy but died of wounds. Reburied later from German cemetery.

(Taken from 1st and 2nd Battalion The Sherwood Foresters compiled by Col Wylly)

36 minutes ago, stevem49 said:

and also trench raids.

Does this suggest he was captured in a raid by the Germans? Or was he left behind on a raid organised by the Sherwoods?

HQ Company - would they have been vulnerable to a trench raid? 

Charlie

George aged 33 can be found on the 1911 census residing with his wife Harriet Elizabeth Palmer and children 

at 32 Foley Street Stoke on Trent employed as a slipmaker in an earthenware factory

Ray

5 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Does this suggest he was captured in a raid by the Germans? Or was he left behind on a raid organised by the Sherwoods?

HQ Company - would they have been vulnerable to a trench raid? 

Charlie

Sorry - Trench raids by Foresters.  Only mention otherwise is of German snipers. Officers and men of the battalion were wounded and killed during their occupation of trenches.

War diaries might clarify what was going on 27th May when he was reported missing. 

I have all the other Forester battalions so may download 1st Battalion

War Diary says 1st Bn suffered estimated 550 all ranks casualties in period 27-31/5/18.

There's a detailed narrative in the diary. 

Link to Ancestry 

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/60779/images/43112_1721_0-00502?backlabel=ReturnSearchResults&queryId=15a9a68956cfe8ad4c45f43bcd2d5fb4&pId=492956 

And a snippet from the notes that followed:

chrome_screenshot_1665505769486.png.cb2071a90c508be761161002ff322426.png

Plenty of scope for a lot of men to be lost or become pows.

Edited by charlie962

The Cwgc register indicates he was initally buried by the enemy in a German cemetery

from the cwgc register

CHAMBIERES FRENCH NATIONAL CEMETERY, METZ

There are now nearly 100, 1914-18 and over 30, 1939-45 war casualties commemorated in this site. Special memorials are erected to six British soldiers and one airman from the 1914-18 War, buried in JARNY and LABRY Communal German Extension, whose graves could not be found. Certain of the British graves from the 1914-18 War were brought in from POUILLY and St. JURE German Cemeteries and BRIEY Communal Cemetery German Extension.

Ray

George initaly enlisted aged 36  in 1914 and was discharged from duty as not likely to be an efficent soldier

He has pension papers on Ancestry   (Link) HERE

Ray

Just downloaded war diary and as Charlie says, it was a nightmare. The battalion had already lost heavily fighting at Ypres. They were sent to the new front for 'a rest' but the enemy attacked there. Further decimating the battalion.  

The Western Front Association /fold three  has three dependants pension records for George Palmer

1649132457_PalmerGeorge(19272).jpg.3a6eedfa5df0ed12c2984bb638d17840.jpg

No additional information on the other to pension ledger cards

Ray

3 hours ago, RaySearching said:

No additional information on the other to pension ledger cards

George PALMER, 19272, Notts and Derby

Don't write off the other pension cards completely.

We can see from another card that she got a pension for herself and children's allowances, under Articles 11 & 12 respectively, 9.2.20.

The number of Separation Allowances being paid was 5 - so potentially up to 5 children

Probably worth looking at the 1921 Census next.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

Matlock

The early enlistment pension doc as in previously posted link

gives details of Georges children

Ray

5 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

The early enlistment pension doc as in previously posted link

gives details of Georges children

That's great - Unfortunately I don't subscribe to Ancestry so could not read it But glad that you can. :thumbsup:

Was really highlighting the principle that info, as I've italicised, can often be gleaned from the most ordinary-looking pension cards.

With a hint as to where looking next could be useful.

M