Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1UK Street Names

Tom Morgan

Off-hand in Luxembourg I can think of the Boulevard de Verdun and the Boulevard Gen. Pershing. There's also a Rue de Dormans - Luxembourg helped rebuild Dormans (in the Marne) after the war.

On the subject of names, it was fashionable after the war to name girls Fochette and Joffrette. I came across a Fochette once on a war memorial. Not seen a Joffrette yet.

Christina Holstein.

I used to live downstate New York and we had a number of streets named Foch Boulevard, Pershing Place, etc. It seems to have been a common occurrence in many towns and villages.

I live in a small village named after the Marquis de lafayette from the Revolution.

Ralph

Jellicoe Avenue

Kitchener Avenue

Admiral Beatty publice house - now demolished

Beaumont Drive

Fergusson Avenue and Colyer Road (Colyer Fergusson V.C.)

All Gravesend and Northfleet

Regards

Andrew

Just remembered a couple myself -

Wulstan Close and Tempest Avenue in Potters Bar.

Lieut. Wulstan Tempest shot down the L31 which crashed on Potters Bar, 2:10:16. Both streets are on what was once the crash site.

My mother's cousin, shot down in the second world war, was named Jack La Bassee Tomkinson; up the road from you, Tom, in sunny Dudley are Mons Rd, Kitchener Rd, French Rd, Haig Rd, Verdun Crescent.

As a new member reviewing these postings I see that the subject has already stretched beyond the UK's coasts, so can I add the following which are not UK, but nevertheless of WWI interest (WF, Gallipoli & Palestine).

Streets in Tel Aviv's Yad Eliahu district:

Rehov Lohame Gallipoli, which translates as Gallipoli Fighters Street and in this case refers to Capt. Joseph Trumpeldor and the Zion Mule Corps.

Plus nearby streets named after

Gen. Sir John Monash

Lieut-Col J. H. Patterson DSO

Lieut-Comm J. C. Wedgwood DSO, RNVR

Lieut-Col E. L. Margolin DSO

• 5 years later...

Hi,

Breathing new life into an old thread.

Comber, Co. Down, Northern Ireland.

de Wind Drive, named obviously enough after the VC winner from the town.

The estate that de Wind Drive leads into is known locally as Hill 60, although this is not an official title. The estate, old and a past it's prime is in the process of being cleared and redeveloped.

In Belfast, just off the Cregagh Road, there is a cluster of streets named, Picardy Avenue, Bapaume Avenue, Hamel Drive, Thiepval Avenue, and Albert Drive. These were (I am told by a woman who grew up there, daughter of a veteran survivor), built for the benefit of returning soldiers.

I am almost certain that there will be more across Northern Ireland.

Cheers,

Nigel

Not quite the same, but in Whitchurch Cardiff there`s an Earl Haig Memorial Club for local men to enjoy a pint of Brains.

Mons Road in Lincoln (already mentioned in another post) is behind the old Lincolnshire Regiment barracks on Burton Road. As an interesting addition, the first tank was tested on fields at the bottom of Burton Road, about one mile from Mons Road.

In Southwick, Sunderland there are a couple of street names that survived a policy of re-naming, due to a 'German' connection. There are- Goschen Street & Schimmel Street.

Mick

Norwich has:

Camp Road and Cavalry Street associated with local barracks

Douglas Haig Road and Haig Close.

Of course there is a Cavell Road in the city and there are around 100 roads/street/courts/close throughout the world named after Edith Cavell.

There's an Arras Road near the old Suffolk Regiment barracks in Bury St Edmunds. Couldn't find anything else locally other than several references to the Battle of Minden, but that's not exactly WW1

Wilfred Owen Drive in Birkenhead (on the site of the old Birkenhead Insititute. Owen was a student in the institute, but not at this site - it relocated later in the 20th C.

Cheers

Peter

This is a list of streets that I have photographs of the street name signs that I posted in another thread. Apologies that not all are WWI, but I've not left them out because some may be of interest to others. Those not from WWI are marked with an *.

*Capt. Richard Annand VC - Annand Road, Gilesgate, Durham

*Pilot Officer Cyril Barton VC - Barton Court, Whitkirk, Leeds (in an estate where all streets are named after WWII Bomber Pilots)

Brig-Gen Roland Bradford VC, MC - Bradford Crescent, Gilesgate, Durham (named after Roland and not his brother George who won the VC at Zeebrugge 23/04/1918. Roland was DLI and George RN)

Pte William Buckingham VC - Buckingham Road, Countesthorpe, Leicester

Maj Edward Cooper VC - Cooper Square, Gilesgate, Durham

2Lt Edmund de Wind VC - de Wind Drive, Comber, Co. Down, Northern Ireland

*Fus Dennis Donnini VC - Donnini Place, Gilesgate, Durham

*Flying Officer Donald Garland VC - Garland Drive, Whitkirk, Leeds

*Wg/Cdr Guy Gibson VC DSO* DFC* - Gibson Drive, Whitkirk, Leeds

FM Viscount Gort VC GCB CBE DSO** MVO MC - Gort Place, Gilesgate, Durham, (also Lord Gort Pub - now closed)

Captain Cyril Gourley VC MM - Gourley's Lane, West Kirby, Wirral

*Sgt Thomas Gray VC - Gray Court, Whitkirk, Leeds

CSM William Gregg VC DCM MM - Gregg Avenue, Heanor, Derbyshire

Pte Michael Heaviside VC - Heaviside Place, Gilesgate, Durham

Sgt Harold Jackson VC - Jackson Drive, Kirton Lincolnshire

Capt Thomas Maufe VC - Maufe Way, Ilkley, West Yorkshire

Lt Donald MacKintosh VC - Mackintosh Court, Gilesgate, Durham

Sgt William McNally VC MM* - McNally Place, Gilesgate, Durham

*Wg/Cdr John Nettleton VC - Nettleton Court, Whitkirk Leeds

Sgt John Ormsby VC MM - John Ormsby VC Way, Shawcross, Dewsbury, West Yorkshire

*Pte Adam Wakenshaw VC - Wakenshaw Road, Gilesgate, Durham

Pte Horace Waller VC - Horace Waller VC Parade - Shawcross, Dewsbury, West Yorkshire (qv)

Pte Thomas Young VC - Young Street, Gilesgate, Durham

Cheers,

Nigel

There is a 9th of April (Battle of the Lys) Street next to the army barracks in Tavira, Portugal. Also a Combatants of the Great War Street and a Lieutenant Couto Street, I am more than willing to pop over and take a photo!

In Catford, SE London the Canadian Forestry Corps was based in Berlin Road. The day after the Armistice it was renamed Canadian Avenue.

Nice idea about 18 pounder lane but actually the name goes back much further ( some of my dim and distant lived there in 1851) and comes from 18 Pounder Farm, itself a corruption of 18 pounds a year (rent).

andyp

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Jul 29 2008, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not quite the same, but in Whitchurch Cardiff there`s an Earl Haig Memorial Club for local men to enjoy a pint of Brains.

If this place has a cemetery over the road from it, the cemetery has the grave of Charles Ward VC in it.

Cheers,

Nigel

In Leicester off Uppingham Rd is, Kitchener Rd leading to :

Gough Rd

Smith Dorrien Rd

French Rd

Beatty Rd and Beatty Ave

Just over the border from you, on the Kates Hill estate in Dudley, are Arras Road and Mons Hill.

And if you are brave enough to go into West Bromwich, two of the tower blocks are jellicoe House and Beatty House. Unusual, those latter two: presumably built in the '50/'60s, so a strange choice of names for that time.

Verdun Square in Dumfries.

I also knew a lady called "Estaires" which was where here father spent much of the war. She hated the name.