Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1UK Street Names

Tom Morgan

Valour Road is a street in the West End of Winnipeg, Manitoba. It was originally called Pine Street, but was renamed in 1925 to Valour Road in recognition of the courage of three young men who all lived on the 700 block of the street and served in the First World War. Corporal Leo Clarke, Sergeant-Major Frederick William Hall, and Lieutenant Robert Shankland

regards martin

• 3 weeks later...

There's 'Flanders Field' on 'Flanders Road' in East Ham (it was mentioned on BBC TV's London regional news tonight as a possible location for a large screen TV for showing certain World Cup matches) also a 'Flanders Field Community Centre' nearby. Although not WW1, I've also recently come across 'Rorkes Drift' in Mytchett, Surrey.

NigelS

IN the suburb of Campbell in Canberra most of the streets are named after WW1 Generals (with the exception of Jacka Crescent) and many streets in the

suburb of Gowrie are named after VC winners.

David

• 1 month later...

Lisburn, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland has a 'Thiepval Road'.

Cheers,

nigel

• 6 months later...

Re Howorthnick post #62

Its Haig road at the back of the fusilier barracks and wellington pub.Opposite is Kitchener street.

Rammylad.

• 2 months later...

Kitchener Road,East Finchley.

Gough close, French drive & Haigh drive in Kettering.

Mannock road in Wellingborough.

• 1 year later...

Although not a street in our town we had a coal mine called Haig Pit the last working pit in the West Cumbrian coalfields closed 1986. We also had a Ladysmith Pit....

Guest exuser1

Chatham ,in Kent has many names with Great War and naval connections its a bit like a early 20the century military history , also Ramsgate in Kent has Plains of Waterloo , and Poplar E 14 has a Locknagar Road but i assume this was pre Great War , though they have a block of flats named after a Great War VC this was done in the early 1970s , at the time the council wanted Hiroshima House ! but local opnion won through !

In the Billesley area of Birmingham we have Jutland Rd, Vimy Rd and Menin Road/Crescent/Passage.

Another one is Acton Court next to Whitehaven Castle named after

PTE Abraham Acton V.C. Border Regiment. Born Whitehaven 17th December 1893 died 16th May 1915 Festubert, France.

Least we forget...

In our little corner of the world we had Mons Jones, John Verdun Evans, Mrs Ypres Davies, a number of Lorraine, some Louvaine.

I served with and logged the name of John V Evans for several years but only saw Verdun on his funeral notice.

Still humorous to me, a man I worked with for some years always referrred to as Carl till one day I slipped with Carlos to be informed that it wasn't carl but Cal.

Short for Calais 'cos when he was born a card had arrived from his father at Calais.

What a nice tale I said. Oh aye but thank god i wasn't born a month later 'cos he was in Gallipoli by then!

• 11 months later...

My father grew up on Lens Road In Allestree, Derby, after his parents moved there in the 1950s. Close by are Ypres Road, Menin Road, Somme Road and Memorial Road. The reason behind these names was that the streets were all laid out for returning soldiers to live on after the war, and they used to live in old Midland railway carriages, one of which, I can remember in the 80s and 90s, was still at the bottom of my grandparents garden.

Derby also has a Kitchener Avenue, Rawlinson Avenue, Dorrien Avenue and Byng Avenue, all built in the 1920s, quite close to the site of the old Sherwood Foresters barracks in Normanton.

Some more in Liverpool, a group in the Clubmoor district, all appear to be generals of WW1:

Asser

Altham

Birdwood

Cavan

Monash

D

In Whiston, Lancashire we have:-

Gilleney Drive Named after Sergeant Samuel Gilleney MM . His brother Thomas Gilleney Died in Whiston Institution not recorded on CWGC

Myers Avenue- Named after Mathew Myers Killed 25th November 1915

Waine Grove- Named after William Frederick Waine Died as a Prisoner of War in Germany 14th August 1917

There's a Toc H Yard in Chesterfield, its about 500yds from my house, I doubt many are aware of its origin.

Diluted

Tonight I will leave the car park and turn on to Framerville Road, then on to Eighth of August Road, Erin Road, Amiens Road befire joining King George V Road. All are roads in Bovington Camp.

Kitchener Street in the Donegal Road area of belfast, next street is called soudan street possible link there

<!--quoteo(post=973622:date=Aug 1 2008, 12:21 PM:name=Garron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Garron @ Aug 1 2008, 12:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=973622"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not WW1, but In Swansea (St Thomas) theres a Balaclava Street, Inkerman Street and Sebastopol Street, Dehli Road.

Gaz<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And in Pontypool we have a district called Sebastopol

Also not in WW1, rather bizarrely Nottingham has a Chelmsford Street, a Zulu Street and an Isandula (sic) Street. I think there might be one or two more of that ilk in the area.

Roger.

Here is a link to Pal John Belcher's Chippenham War Memorials site for the page on Pewsham Street Names.

http://www.pro-patria.co.uk/pewsham.htm

Dave

Kitchener Street in the Donegal Road area of belfast, next street is called soudan street possible link there

Interestingly there is a Street in St.Helens called Kitchener Street.... its was built in about 1900, Terraced houses, but wait for it.......... it was actually called Hannover Street and then shortly re-named following the outbreak of war.

ANZAC Ave/St, Birdwood Cres, Freyberg pl/st/ave/park, Halsey St (commander of HMS New Zealand), Haig Ave, Foch Ave, Admiral Beatty Ave, Cambrai Ave, Godley St/Ave all here in Auckland. There is a Gallipoli Rd, Menin Rd, Ypres, Flers Pl, Flanders Ave, Anzac Ave where I grew up in Napier. they also had a few streets named after VC men, Travis, Upham, Nicholas, Ngarimu, Trigg, Elliott, Frickleton, Andrews, Hinton, Trent, Laurent etc

Also not in WW1, rather bizarrely Nottingham has a Chelmsford Street, a Zulu Street and an Isandula (sic) Street. I think there might be one or two more of that ilk in the area.

Roger.

Small correction: Roads not Streets. They are crossed by Chard Street and Durnford Street.

Roger.