Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1UK Street Names

Tom Morgan

It's been bumped once, so why not again?

In Rochdale near the football ground there are:

Marne Crescent

Jutland Avenue

Falkland Avenue

Mons Avenue

Verdun Crescent

Tom,

The street you mentioned, I think some are in Billesley, Bham? There is a Jutland something as well and in Hall Green Cambrai Drive.

TT

Catterick Garrrison in Yorkshire has, among others, Aisne Road, Arras Road, La Bassee Road, and Amiens Crescent, as well as streets named after commanders, such as Haig, Rawlinson and Gough. These are all public thoroughfares, but they are on a military base, so the choice of name types isn't surprising

There are a number of Mons Roads in Britain but I understand that for some reason Australia has more than the UK.

In Kelso, Scottish Borders, there is a narrow passage leading off from a corner of the main square. It is called the Dardanelles.

Guillemont Fields, Farnborough is part of a new development and many of the roads are I believe named after Great War.

In Oxford we have Goose Green Rd.

Chris

Here in Canada, we changed the town of Berlin to the town of Kitchener :D

Here in Canada, we changed the town of Berlin to the town of Kitchener :D

A similar story can be told about Holbrook, NSW, Australia, which was renamed in 1915 after the VC recipient of the same name. The previous name was Germanton.

Cheers,

Nigel

I won't tell you what we did to the town of Swastika a wee bit later :o

• 3 weeks later...

I came across a Lusitania Road in Liverpool the other day.

And Messines Road in Newtownards has a whole thread of it's own!

Cheers,

Nigel

Just found out that a workmate of mine lives on Menin Road, Antrim town.

BTW she had no idea where the name was from.

Cheers,

Nigel

I have a photo of the name sign Geoff, and of John Ormsby's Headstone at Dewsbury. I'll post them when I get home, but that wont be til about 10 tonight!

Cheers,

Nigel

• 1 month later...

Going off at a slight tangent,roads at the Kings Liverpools Depot ( before it was demolited ) at Harrington Barracks,Formby were named after the regiments V.C`s.

I hope the attached plan from a small booklet called "Book of Infomation for Kingsmen" shows the names and layout.

P.B.

post-63-1255976261.jpg

QUOTE:

"I came across a Lusitania Road in Liverpool the other day." Post #87.

This is one of a set of 'Cunarder' roads, with Mauretania, Saxonia, Ivernia alongside. The next is Woolhope which seems incongruous.

D

• 2 months later...

There is a Kitchener Road in Great Yarmouth.

Cheers,

Nigel

ps. I've not forgotten about the photo I promised to post above, just can't get my scanner to work at the moment.

Promenade de Verdun in Purley, Surrey. Apparently the trees down the side of the road are planted in soil brought over from Verdun after the war.

Neil

A couple more

Cambrai Avenue Chichester

Mons Avenue Bognor Regis

Arnhem Avenue Bognor Regis

near by is Essex Road, Dorset Road and Hampshire Avenue wonder whether these are to do with regiments.

Mandy

Going off on a slightly different tack, there's a 'Martinsyde' (WWI aircraft manufacturer) in Woking near - but not on - the site of where the factory used to be.

NigelS

• 1 month later...

Luton has a High Wood Close, although this road is built along the edge of a wood, and there are no other WWI related street names nearby so the WWI connection may be of my own making and not intentional by the builder.

Worth a punt anyway.

Cheers,

Nigel

• 1 month later...

Strood, Chatham, Kent;

Keyes Avenue

Haig Avenue

Kitchener Avenue

Glasshoughton, Castleford, West Yorkshire;

Joffre Avenue

Cheers,

Nigel

• 4 weeks later...

Just to add a few more, not only are there many streets named after various places made famous during world war 1 but also towns. South Australia had quite a large number of German immigrants during the mid to late nineteenth century. These people prospered and grew coming to love there new homeland. When the war came, their sons joined the AIF and went to fight.....At home life became uncomfortable, and sixty-nine of the towns that they settled and named had their names changed to more acceptable ones. eg. Blumberg to Birdwood, Buchfelde to Loos,Gebhardt Hills to Polygon Ridge, Germantown Hill to Vimy Ridge, Grunthal to Verdun, Klemzig to Gaza and Rhine Hill to Mons. Nineteen of these towns eventually got their old names back over the next sixty eight years.....

Elizabeth