Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Marines photo album and scrap book

wilkokcl

Mark,

Referring back to your earlier photo of Staff Surgeon Kay Mouatt, I have a feeling his surname is actually Kay-Mouat. Don't know his christian name but it may help track down who he is.

Cheers,

Dom

Hi Dom,

Thanks for that. I've had no luck tracking him down yet but think these photos are all from time on board HMS Bacchante. Maybe crew lists exist somewhere?

I'll keep looking,

Mark

Native divers are more than probably Sierra Leone or Cape Verdi Islands. Regular coaling ports for the RN

Roop

How about this chap: can anyone suggest who, what or where?

Mark.

post-7757-1145446244.jpg

Looks like PO1 (chief petty officer)

Telescopes the clue and his jacket.

Roop

Hi Mark,

There is no record online for a Kay Mouatt in the RN, in fact there are only two listed

Name Mouatt, James Francis

Official Number: 150085

Place of Birth: Saint James, London

1853-1891 ADM 188/215

Name Mouatt, Horace Henry

Official Number: 347154

Place of Birth: Bloomsbury, London

21 February 1890 ADM 188/527

Surgeon

Surgeons were warranted to ships by the Navy Board. Their examining boards were conducted by various bodies including the Barber-Surgeons Company, Sick and Hurt Board, Transport Board and the Victualling Board up until 1832 when the Admiralty became responsible for their qualifications. They were the only medical officers on the ship and was assisted by one or more Surgeon’s Mates (inferior warrant officers). They had the right to walk the quarterdeck and became a fully commissioned rank in the nineteenth century. They were responsible for the sick and injured, performing surgical operations as necessary and dispensed medicine. They were required to keep a journal of treatment and advised the Captain on health matters.

Roop

Thanks for the info Roop: my guess is the native diver was taken in Sierra Leone. The details on Surgeons is also very interesting and explains the telescope.

Here's another photo,

Mark

post-7757-1147515800.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest John Rawlinson
Why is his cap a different colour in this picture? What does it signify?

Thank you! Mark.

Mark

Its months since you posted this but hopefully you are still looking at the forum.

The cap in both pitures is probably teh same cap. Up until just after WW2 RM officers caps were navy blue with a red band, they had a removable white cap cover that was used during the summer months and whilst on certain foreign stations all year round.

Very nice album, if you need help with any of the other Royal Marines uniforms let me know

Regards

John

Its months since you posted this but hopefully you are still looking at the forum.

Oh yes! Once you get hooked on this Forum it's very hard to leave.......

And as that was your first post, welcome to the Forum.

Thanks for the info re the cap: I had not considered it may be the same cap, so your input is much appreciated. I'll have a look in the album and post a few more pictures here. I've also found a few bits of what I assume were his kit (telescope, compass etc) and will post pictures if anyone is interested.

Regards.

Mark