Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Marines photo album and scrap book

wilkokcl

Hello,

My great grandfather was a Lieut in the Royal Marines in WWI and kept a scrap book as he went along with photos and postcards of places he visited. I am yet to research his service but his reference in the Aldenham School War List is as follows:

Barry S Claudet

Gaz. RMLI Sept 1916

A/Lieut 9th & 12th Cruiser Squadrons

I know nothing about what he did or what the 9th or 12th Cruiser Squadrons were, but will share his record with you if anyone is interested. Is anyone?

Here's a card which I assume is from a ship he sailed on:

post-7757-1144169218.jpg

Thanks Marina. I'll have to have a look in that archive and see what is in the photograph album especially. But sticking to my smaller album for now, here's what I think is HMS Bacchante again.

Does anyone recognise the buildings on the left?

Mark

post-7757-1144216581.jpg

HMS Bacchante (the name for a priestess of the Greek god Bacchus) was one of six Cressy-class armoured cruisers built for the Royal Navy. She was lanched in 1901 and sold for scrap in 1920. She had a displacement of 12000 tons. Top speed of 21 knots. Her armament included Two x 9.2-in guns (bow & stern)

Twelve x 6-in guns in a midships battery.

HMS Bacchane served for a while with the Mediterranean Fleet. In 1906 she was transferred to the North America and West Indies Squadron and served there until she returned to home waters.

HMS Bacchante took part in the landing at Anzac Cove during the Battle of Gallipoli in 1915. When infantry came under fire from Turkish artillery at Gaba Tepe, HMS Bacchante approached close in shore and fired directly on the gun emplacements in an attempt to silence them.

Cheers,

Tim

mark,

cracking photo,s .poss one in dry dock malta?my father served on bacchante fromjuly 1914 til feb 1916.i have a copy of eric bush,s book bless our ship,it gives a lot of info on his time on bacchante,dardanelles etc,i have some nice pics of her if intrested let me know. all the best james bow

Thanks for your posts James and Tim. I would be particularly interested to see other photos of the ship or descriptions of what life on board was like.

Regards,

Mark.

Can anyone tell me what 6" full charge firing" was? Are those visible in the pictures above?

I dedicate this post to my great grandmother (Barry's wife) who died early today in her 98th year and thank her for entrusting me with so many precious family photographs.

Mark.

Thank you Marina.

It is amazing to think she was married to someone who fought in WWI and really did grow up so long ago in what to me is now 'history'. But she passed on all the family heirlooms to me and it seems fitting i'm showing her late husband's photos on the Forum at the moment. I am sure they would both be proud to know that other people are (I hope!) finding them interesting, while having absolutely no idea what this internet thing is at all......!

Mark

Mark

Sorry to here about your great garndmothers death.

The 6 inch full charge refers to the ship's 6 inch guns firing at full charge. The projectile was rammed into the breech, followed by the propellant charge in a cloth bag. The charge sizes could be adjusted, full charge, three- quarter charge and so on.

Terry Reeves

|'m sure she (and he, of course!) would be pleased to know of the interest aroused - the worst thing would be to be forgotten, I always think. The fact that she kept all the photos and made sure they went to someone who would treasure them hints that she might have felt the same way. And if there are any more, you could post them!

Marina

The uniforms are Royal Naval ‘whites’ (hot climate dress).

The officers with the dog are both Commanders: army equivalent Lt Col; RAF = Wing Commander.

The 2 with the sextants are probably taking the noon fix on the sun to verify longitude and the ship’s position.

Why is his cap a different colour in this picture? What does it signify?

Thank you! Mark.

post-20-1077423417.jpg

Thanks for your posts James and Tim. I would be particularly interested to see other photos of the ship or descriptions of what life on board was like.

Regards,

Mark.

Mark,

The Australian War Memorial has a number of wonderful photos of HMS Bacchante at Gallipoli. Apparently due to her distinctive 4 funnels she earned the nickname "Packet Of Woodbines" which is a brand of cigarettes. You can purchase any of the photos.

Here is one of the photos:

post-11408-1144498473.jpg

ID Number: G00905

Maker: Bean, Charles Edwin Woodrow (C E W)

Date made: 25 April 1915

Physical description: Black & white

Summary: Gallipoli Peninsula, Turkey. 25 April 1915. Troops landing in Anzac Cove. The horse boats (with the ends down) had landed mules of Jacob's 26th Indian Mountain Battery. Troops can also be seen landing at the southern end of the beach. In the background is the light cruiser HMS Bacchante.

Cheers,

Tim