Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Tea

drummer

ok so i cant spell :P

bruce

I'm as bad sometimes. wish we had a spellcheck before we post :)

back on topic who can remember the massive compo teabags in the large ration packs

:o There must be something strange in those milk pots. When I read Tafski's post, I'm sure it said "repatriate them ..."

Better go and have another cup of tea ....

Mick

Mick

you sure it tea ye drinking :D

bruce

"

What is NAAFI

NAAFI stands for the Navy, Army and Air Force Institutes. It is the official trading organisation of HM Forces. It fulfils a vital welfare role, providing a service wherever the Armed Forces need it.

That service includes:

 Family shops

 Clubs and pubs

 Services shops

 Ship's canteens

NAAFI is unique because it is tailor made to the needs of the Armed Forces. If we're needed we'll be there.

Our History

In the early 19th Century the British soldier often fought on only two meals a day. Even then, his superiors stole the best food and left him the scraps.

Traders soon took advantage of the chaos that was Army catering. Even so, in the Crimean War (1854-56), thousands died of starvation. The public outcry that followed led to the formation of regimental canteens. But corruption was still rife.

The origins of modem NAAFI date back to 1894 when three dissatisfied officers formed the Canteen and Mess Co-operative Society. By 1913 the Canteen Scandal, in which many officers and Non Commissioned Officers (NCOs) were dismissed for malpractice, had persuaded other units to join the society.

Traders were back on the scene at the start of World War 1 as there were no canteens in France. But a year later one reputable trader and the Co-operative formed the Expeditionary Force Canteens, leading in 1917, to the formation of the Army Canteen Committee.

Later that year the Navy joined the Co-operative and it became the Navy and Army Canteen Board. At the end of the war, the RAF joined up.

In January 1921 following a review of canteen facilities ordered the previous year by Sir Winston Churchill, NAAFI was born.

The old image of NAAFI's uniformed women providing homely fare for the lads in the front line is now long gone. But the same standards of service and care remain.

"

From http://archive.rushmoor.gov.uk/envhealth/naafi_history.htm

"Forces say goodbye to the Naafi"

"1943: 16-page booklet produced on how to make the perfect brew (tea). "

From http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...701/ai_n9646667

Q. Anyone got a copy of the "1943: 16-page booklet produced on how to make the perfect brew (tea). " ?

Regards

Richard

post-1376-1144450015.jpg

I note that no one has mentioned the bromide.

I must admit in 27 years I never saw any one put bromide in the, tea custard perhaps. They must have done because it is just starting to work 30 years later.

Arnie

What was it we used to say?

"Only Yanks and poofs drink coffee."

I know that's not PC but it shows what we thought of that drink.

Tea and Wadworths 6X only things worth drinking.

wadworths 6x, now there's a blast from the past. I remember................................. maybe that's best on another forum

Interesting site (An electronic history of J.Lyons & Co. and some of its 700 subsidiaries)

regarding J. Lyons & Co. Ltd

At http://www.kzwp.com/lyons/index.htm

Includes interesting information regarding employees lost in the wars, including a VC, "the war memorials of J. Lyons & Co. were rededicated, after having been relocated to Margravine Cemetery, in the London borough of Hammersmith & Fulham."

At http://www.kzwp.com/lyons/warmemorial.htm

Regards

Richard

post-1376-1144542270.jpg

Came across this little snippet in "Liverpolitana", published by Merseyside Civic Society

Ayrton, Saunders & Company was another early 19thC company launched by a Cumberland man.

Hardly remembered today is "TSH", probably the first "instant" drink in the world, and manufactured in Liverpool for the 1914/18 troops. "Tea, sugar and milk" was, in tablet form, carried by the Tommies and needed only boiling water to taste: though of what it tasted like is perhaps best forgotten!

First I've heard of it

Caryl

Richard,

your avatar stamp. Any idea how much its worth now cos I've still got one of them with "England Winners"

Tell me its worth thousands please :rolleyes:

Patrick

Pour me a cup someone, didnt realise we still had a brew on :D

Len

Patrick

Not a lot, check out http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1966-Football-Englan...1QQcmdZViewItem

Regards

Richard

post-1376-1144936730.jpg

Richard,

99p starting bid for a block of four? I have only the one which I've kept pristine for 40 years, might as well chuck it :angry:

Pour me a cup someone, didnt realise we still had a brew on :D

Len

British Len, theres always a kettle on :rolleyes:

Patrick

Okay, I've purchased loose tea, warmed the pot, poured boiling water in, added evaporated milk, drank the tea.

Now I'm reminded why tea bags are so convenient. What is the easiest way to get rid of the blasted exhausted leaves? I've been told not to bung them down the drain as this might lead to a blockage, so I've been tipping the pot into the trash can, which gets messy. Any tips?

Your U-bend would need to be in a bad state to get blocked by tealeaves. My wife specializes in pouring hottish fat down which solidifies in the pipe. :angry: Phil B

Some people are fussy about their tea, others are shcizo.

My partner when he has his tea from a tea pot, has rules. It must be poured no later than two minutes after the boiling water hitting the tea, with a dash of milk and two sugars.

But, when going shearing or out in the paddock, the thermos is made with two tea bags, no milk, no sugar and sits for about 4-6 hours before being drunk.

Me, I don't drink the stuff.

I have heard of some plants that like a mulch of used tea leaves but can't think of which one. It might be Daphne?

Cheers

Kim

"Spent leaf as a nutrient supplier"

http://www.nrg.com.au/~dyason/What%20is%20...Tree%20Leaf.htm

"You could set aside the brewed leafs to make another pot later, but it's not a good idea to leave the leafs in the pot indefinitely."

http://chezpim.typepad.com/blogs/2005/08/b...ing_the_te.html

"In China, green tea is more than just a drink. Its mild astringent properties make it an excellent face wash. And a batch of very strong green tea used as a hair rinse is said to leave one's hair shiny and soft. Irritated, tired eyes may be soothed with a mild blend of tea, and minor skin abrasions, insect bites, and rashes may be relieved by applying green tea salves. Instead of tossing spent tea leaves, Chinese gardeners spread them around flowering plants -- especially rosebushes -- as a mulch. Dried leftover leaves are sewn into pillows (they are said to offer a great night's sleep). And dried leaves are burned to keep mosquitoes at bay."

http://www.holymtn.com/therapyteapot.htm

Attached: Camelia Sinensis (tea plant)

Regards

Richard

post-1376-1144943918.jpg

"WW1 Officers field kettle and pouring jug" from

http://www.treasurebunker.com/acatalog/Cat...litaria_19.html

post-1376-1144945683.jpg

Richard,

99p starting bid for a block of four? I have only the one which I've kept pristine for 40 years, might as well chuck it :angry:

I wouldn't do that.

I though the person who recently sent me a letter with a strip of red early QEII stamps on the envelope must have been soft in the head doing that just because they felt disgruntled (as expressed in the letter) by the low value of the stamps they had carefully saved. All you do by carrying on like that is increase the value of those held by others.

You cannot beat a cuppa,hot or cold,sugar,no sugar,milk,no milk.

All you need is some decent boiled water,and a tea bag.

More refreshing than a can of Coke on a hot day,hot or cold,and a lot better for you..

I am a PG man(the Limited Edition one,to celebrate 75 years of PG,is one of the best cuppas i have tasted for a long time),but i am also partial to the odd cup of Yorkshire Tea,when i can convince the missus to let me buy some(reckons it's to strong!!??.Bah humbug),and a decent cup of Earl Grey.

No fat,and low in carbs(minus the sugar,that is),you can't beat a cuppa,especially when it is made by the ladies of the WI,or the WRVS,and requested at Army strength.

Supposed to be a good source of antioxidants(bet that ain't spelt right),which are supposed to help soak up all the nasties that can cause cancer.

Off to put the kettle on.

All the best.

Simon.

Check out cartoons at:

http://www.punch.co.uk/cartoonhistory05.html

"THE BRITISH CHARACTER. IMPORTANCE OF TEA"

click on zoom under Pont.

And

http://www.punch.co.uk/galleries/business.html

"That's an excellent suggestion, Miss Triggs. Perhaps one of the men here would like to make it."

Regards

Richard

Taken from John Keegan's The First World War: An Illustrated History. The accompanying caption reads "Machine gunners of the 11th Battalion the Leicester Regiment, 6th Division, in the captured German second line at Cambrai, November 20, 1917. The line, barely more than a scratch on the surface, can be seen stretching away to the horizon through a landscape untouched by war. Had the tanks been able to get into such open country, and the main infantry regiments to follow, Cambrai might well have produced the long-awaited breakthrough. The photograph shows how thin on the ground were the advance guards. The Leicesters, while waiting for support, are brewing tea instead of pushing forward."

Gary

post-391-1144996447.jpg

What a good idea!!! Can they be bought nowadays, or is this something to re-invent!! I go camping a lot and milk is always a problem to keep and store, so the new how about a new product ...'Camping Milk' for 'tea on the go'.

Just a thought...

Lindsey

I think the stuff is still available - I used to see it in my local supermarket.

But I'm on the continent now, so maybe it isn't in Britain. Can't really help. I'm afraid.

On a slightly different tack, when I lived in Gibraltar as a child we had no fresh milk at all. We had diluted evaporated milk. I livedon it for three years.

When I went back to Britain I was presented with a bottle of milk at school, drank it and was promptly sick.

What a horrible taste; not like the real stuff I was used to!

I noticed when I was working in Trinidad, on the rig the local guys made tea with carnation milk and condensed milk - that was one of the nice things about Trinidad was seeing lots of good old brand names still in use. Tommy Lipton's influence spreads far and wide! You get Lipton tea in Venezuela and Brazil too.

Oh yes and talking of the bromide - the put it directly into the drinking water supply on oil rigs :o

David

For those interested, Tesco's sell:

Nestle Carnation Sweetened Condensed milk in a 170g tube for £0.74p.

Regards

Richard

post-1376-1145549708.jpg