Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Tea

drummer

After what happened in Boston harbour, is tea seen as somehow un-American, Andy? Phil B

PS I see the French are after Lance again for EPO in 1999!

The only problem with tea is that a good brew depends on several factors - boiling water, strong leaf tea, milk and sugar - and the absence or inadequacy of any one of them can deprive it of its near-magical properties.

'Camp Coffee', on the other hand, was/is a much less fragile beverage. Granted, it's pretty disgusting even if prepared under ideal conditions, but then it's not much more disgusting if drunk lukewarm with a small dollop of condensed milk. Empty bottles seem to turn up fairly regularly in trench excavations, so some men clearly drank it. Does anyone have examples of tea versus coffee debates/arguments at the time ?

Mick

"Good Tea unites good company, exhilarates the spirits, opens the heart, banishes restraint from conversation and promotes the happiest purposes of social intercourse."

A quote from Arthur Brooke from http://www.tameside.gov.uk/leisure/new/bp_02.htm

Regards

Richard

post-1376-1144158581.jpg

Alan

I must admit I have shaved in tea quite regular. Regarding you 'Latte' I don't think there was much of that in the rations.

Arnie

I have just remembered that many years ago an army TA cook said that one one exercise it was his enviable job to go into the mess tent and announce,

"It was so dark in the kitchen that we put the milk in the stew. The tea will be black".

He retreated quickly.

I have just remembered that many years ago an army TA cook said that one one exercise it was his enviable job to go into the mess tent and announce,

"It was so dark in the kitchen that we put the milk in the stew. The tea will be black".

He retreated quickly.

Sound tactical decision, I should say.

In my experience it would have improved the stew though :D

Sound tactical decision, I should say.

The tea we used to brew or mash as we said was brewed in one of those huge aluminium tea pots, which was never cleaned on the inside on pain of keelhauling or such other punishment as is here and after mentioned, tea was put in first then the sugar, boiling water was added (if you were lucky) it was then well stirred with the aforesaid large spoon and the tinned milk was added, it was allowed to stand for at least 15 mins then it was ready, this beverage together with a NAAFI pork pie of indeterminate age was enjoyed at many shipboard standeasies, life was so simple in those days! ah well back to the spaggetti bo----k naked and the bottle of asti!!!!!

Len

... tinned milk 1915

post-1376-1144282613.jpg

I note that no one has mentioned the bromide.

Oh yes they did!!! :P

"Army Tea:~What was there about it?"~~~~Reputedly the Bromide!!!

Reference tinned condensed milk.

Nestle had 4 factories in Europe producing tinned condensed milk in 1914. By 1918 they had 40.

I still remember people using it in their tea in the 1950's and 60's.

IIRC there was a small tube of the stuff in the 24 hour rat packs issued in the late 60's and early 70's or thereabouts, along with Horlicks tablets and a packet of Spangles sweets. The tea had the sugar already mixed in as well.

And on bread for sandwiches! :) Phil B

Nestle had 4 factories in Europe producing tinned condensed milk in 1914. By 1918 they had 40.

IIRC there was a small tube of the stuff in the 24 hour rat packs issued in the late 60's and early 70's or thereabouts, along with Horlicks tablets and a packet of Spangles sweets. The tea had the sugar already mixed in as well.

I always used to buy the tubes of milk to take with me when spending the odd week walking across Dartmoor. It saved an enormous amount of weight, and as I remember diluted with water it made a not unacceptable drink by itself.

I always used to buy the tubes of milk to take with me when spending the odd week walking across Dartmoor. It saved an enormous amount of weight, and as I remember diluted with water it made a not unacceptable drink by itself.

After what happened in Boston harbour, is tea seen as somehow un-American, Andy? Phil B

What isn't often mentioned is that the so called 'Boston Tea Party' was organised by local vested interests who objected to tax being relaxed on tea thus undermining profitable smuggling operations.

Now the benifit from brewing tea, as opposed to coffee, is that to achieve a good brew the water should be boiling (and the pot warmed) thus aiding the killing of bugs in the water which was also aided by the chemicals infused in the brewed tea.

Studies have shown, but I do not have ref's to hand, that this was the common factor which enabled both Britain and Japan to congregate large populations within urban, factory, areas during the later pasrt of the 19th century without the large scale outbreaks of digestive epidemics that were a feature of other cultures.

What isn't often mentioned is that the so called 'Boston Tea Party' was organised by local vested interests who objected to tax being relaxed on tea thus undermining profitable smuggling operations.

Now the benifit from brewing tea, as opposed to coffee, is that to achieve a good brew the water should be boiling (and the pot warmed) thus aiding the killing of bugs in the water which was also aided by the chemicals infused in the brewed tea.

Studies have shown, but I do not have ref's to hand, that this was the common factor which enabled both Britain and Japan to congregate large populations within urban, factory, areas during the later pasrt of the 19th century without the large scale outbreaks of digestive epidemics that were a feature of other cultures.

What isn't often mentioned is that ...

Sorry about the doubled-up posting but am having a hellava trouble with posting at the moment. I had great difficulty looging out on a recent visit.

"Canned Milk History - Evaporated and Sweetened Condensed Milk"

http://homecooking.about.com/od/milkproduc...milkhistory.htm

Gail Borden, Jr.

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online...s/BB/fbo24.html

John B. Meyenberg

http://www.meyenberg.com/?action=johnp

"In WWI the U.S. government again placed huge orders to supply the troops over seas"

http://www.petevaporatedmilk.com/history/

post-1376-1144324600.jpg

I have not seen any mention of Irish army tea, well I can tell you is was a waste of good drinking ability. Its was warm, tasted of plastic, and had the milk in it since it was brewed, yeuck. I can still taste the vileness of it.

Tom.,

In terms of the Boston Tea party ... the only quibble I'd have ... and as a Historian, you MUST quibble ... is that it wasn't local ... it was general among all commercial (and those who had their livlihood depending on Commcerial) Americans ... [Remember in America, Commerce contains smuggling as a respectable part of the business ... if yo aint cheatin, yo aint tryin] ....

Ships from the East India company had been refused at NY Harbor and, I believe Philidelphia and Charleston ... the difference ... well in those places the Sons of Liberty (middleclass inspired mob) was the only game in town ... whereas in Boston you had 4 regiments of soldiers who, if properly handled, would have allowed the tea to land ... and once landed ALL Americans know ... better tea, less money ... politics fly out the window ...

Wally's World learns a valuable leason about Chinese manufacture ...

Cartoon is from an ad for Golden Stream Tea in a 1917 newspaper

Ad reads If you have tasted Golden Stream Tea, you will appreciate the value placed upon it by our soldier friend here...

tea.jpg

Yes, I'm sure he would have said 'Jove'!!

Drummer, you asked

So what was it? Was it the type of tea, or the method of brewing, or the strong cultural influence of the beverage? Any thoughts

I've never tasted Army tea but with regards to the cultural influence.

At that period in time tea was often the mainstay of British working class homes. Every home had a teapot on the go, a large brown one called a 'Brown Betty' or a big black teapot for everyday use, best china for visitors. Loose leaf tea was used, and the tea would be 'mashed', 'brewed' or steeped', depending on what part of the country you came from and this just meant to leave it in the pot after hot water had been added for as long as possible in order to give it a strong taste (and using HB's instructions for warming the pot first etc.)

Tea was served with all meals

Tea was 'A cure for all ills', any stress, shock (strong sweet tea recommended here), bad news, tiredness, illness etc. would be an excuse for the "I'll put the kettle on and make us a nice cuppa" ritual...we still do this now!

In the homes of the better off, tea was usually served in the morning at breakfast, (maybe Earl Grey) then in the afternoon, a ritual in itself, with cakes and fancies and cucumber sandwiches - Tea Shoppe's or Tea Salons were also very fashionable for the chattering classes

Working to middle class homes could also have the 'afternoon tea' ritual, depending on the family circumstances, or how posh they liked to pretend they were - best china used for visitors.

Often the teapot could be left to stew on a hob, topped up every now and then with hot water on old tealeaves then any hard working men arriving home could help themselves

In my neck of the woods we called strong tea 'dockers tea', too strong for me, like mine weak

And as for condensed milk sandwiches - we called those 'Connie Onnie butties'!!

I'm sure soldiers from any background appreciated a 'cuppa' in the trenches - whenever and for a lot of reasons

I read an account somewhere of tea being sent to the frontline trenches after a battle in old fuel cans, kept warm in boxes insulated with straw and the tea tasting of petrol (where did I read that??)

Caryl

Read about the tea tasting of petrol in numerous accounts; the water was brought up in petrol cans.

You can't make a sandwich with evaporated milk. It runs out between the slices!

"…… in 1748 John Wesley, the great preacher and founder of the Methodist movement, was arguing for complete abstinence from tea, on the grounds that it gave rise to 'numberless disorders, particularly those of a nervous kind'. He cited the example of himself, claiming that tea drinking had caused in him a 'Paralytick disorder', which had cleared up since he began to abstain from the beverage. ….. later in his life Wesley went back to tea drinking"

"In 1757 the philanthropist Jonas Hanway published an essay on the effects of tea drinking, 'considered as pernicious to health, obstructing industry and impoverishing the nation'. Published in the form of 25 letters written to two wealthy female friends, Hanway dismissed the claim that tea could cure scurvy, and claimed instead, like Wesley, that it caused 'paralitic and nervous disorders'. He was particularly concerned about its effect on women: 'How many sweet creatures of your sex, languish with weak digestion, low spirits, lassitudes, melancholy, and... nervous complaints? Tell them to change their diet, and among other articles leave off drinking tea, it is more than probable the greatest part of them will be restored to health.' "

"By the beginning of the twentieth century, there could be no doubt about the importance of tea to the British people. This was acknowledged by the government during the First World War. Tea was not initially rationed, but tea prices began to rise as a result of ships being sunk by German submarines, and so the government took over the importation of tea and controlled prices."

More info from "A Social History of the Nation's Favourite Drink", UK Tea Council, at :

http://www.tea.co.uk/index.php?pgId=98

and check out the "Tea Counter".

Regards

Richard

post-1376-1144330384.jpg

Oh yes they did!!! :P

Ooops missed that. ( Cleans specs furiously).

Squirrel, during WW2 when sweets were rationed, a dear old lady used to give me a bread roll spread with condensed milk. I can assure you that none of it was allowed to leak.