Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Tea

drummer

"…… in 1748 John Wesley, the great preacher and founder of the Methodist movement, was arguing for complete abstinence from tea, on the grounds that it gave rise to 'numberless disorders, particularly those of a nervous kind'.

"In 1757 the philanthropist Jonas Hanway published an essay on the effects of tea drinking, 'considered as pernicious to health,

More info from "A Social History of the Nation's Favourite Drink", UK Tea Council, at :

http://www.tea.co.uk/index.php?pgId=98

and check out the "Tea Counter".

Regards

Richard

In 18th Century, tea was very costly. It was, accordingly, adulterated with lots of substances, some of which were probably noxious.

Looks like we need another thread on sandwich/roll fillings and the skills required to prevent the contents spilling out.

Well, thank you all for your insights, anecdotes and reminiscences. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading them and think that maybe I better understand the place of the beverage in the British consciousness. Even a lukewarm cup tasting of petrol, in a cold muddy trench after a day the likes of which none of us, fortunately, will ever see, can cheer the heart if it reminds one of hearth and home and maybe the reason for it all.

Tea in the US has never been big amongst the rank and file. You can purchase leaf tea in specialty shops, but I think the steps for a decent brew as outlined here are too much for my impatient countrymen. After reading these posts, I think that I will go out and hunt down some good leaf tea, follow the instructions, add condensed milk and finish reading Tommy.

Thanks again…

Drummer

Well, thank you all for your insights, anecdotes and reminiscences. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading them and think that maybe I better understand the place of the beverage in the British consciousness. Even a lukewarm cup tasting of petrol, in a cold muddy trench after a day the likes of which none of us, fortunately, will ever see, can cheer the heart if it reminds one of hearth and home and maybe the reason for it all.

Tea in the US has never been big amongst the rank and file. You can purchase leaf tea in specialty shops, but I think the steps for a decent brew as outlined here are too much for my impatient countrymen. After reading these posts, I think that I will go out and hunt down some good leaf tea, follow the instructions, add condensed milk and finish reading Tommy.

Thanks again… Drummer

I will be doing the same.

But one question: in the United Kingdom, is there a difference between condensed milk and evaporated milk? In Canada, these are two separate products, and I guess I will need to buy one of each to determine the taste difference, if any.

Yes there is a lot of difference between the two. Condensed is thick and very sweat. Evaporated or as my late brother called it "everported" is slightly bitter

Patrick

Yes there is a lot of difference between the two. Condensed is thick and very sweat. Evaporated or as my late brother called it "everported" is slightly bitter

Patrick

It`s not actually like sweat. I think Patrick meant sweet! Thick enough to stay on a sandwich. Evaporated is much thinner and wouldn`t. Phil B

In terms of the Boston Tea party ... the only quibble I'd have ... and as a Historian, you MUST quibble ... is that it wasn't local ... it was general among all commercial (and those who had their livlihood depending on Commcerial) Americans ... [Remember in America, Commerce contains smuggling as a respectable part of the business ... if yo aint cheatin, yo aint tryin] ....

Sorry by local (and this isn't a quibble) I meant; to that continent, or its immediate sphere of influence which could include some parts of what is now Canada and the Caribbean. Hum! I guess that is now a quibble. ;):unsure:

As for the soldiers that fired the first shot that supposedly ignited the spark, then if a soldier is to be condemned for firing his piece whilst brown-and-smelly-stuff-scared by an angry mob throwing stones and wielding agricultural implements then many in the current ranks of the US and UK land forces should be thus condemned.

Of course this depends on which version of, to use a current term, spin on events that you choose to believe.

Read about the tea tasting of petrol in numerous accounts; the water was brought up in petrol cans.

You can't make a sandwich with evaporated milk. It runs out between the slices!

Indeed, IIRC Neville Duke describes this in his book 'Test Pilot' WRT his time in the Western Desert.

Patrick

Condensed milk came in tube (as did jam) in the old One Man Twenty for Hour Ration Packs. Types A, B, C and D, ISTR. The oatmeal cake was a favourite but please remember to remove staple from bog paper before use. ;)

"How to make a perfect cuppa", advice from the Royal Society of Chemistry at:

http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/res...,984585,00.html

"How to make a perfect cuppa", advice from the Royal Society of Chemistry at:

http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/res...,984585,00.html

No chance of making the perfect cuppa here then - hard water.

I agree on the milk in first principle but what not to then is to put the

tea bag in the milk, in the cup or mug, and then add boiling water. The resultant is Yuk! As I can attest having been presented with such by my son. I have still to convince him of the error of his ways. :(

Using tea bags does not help, nothing like the old fashioned stuff.

But then from my experience in the RN, Army tea is likely to be from similar methods, brewed and stewed before it gets to you.

The secret is in allowing boiling water to hit leaf tea in a pre warmed china (or earthenware) pot for just long enough to give the depth of colour required. Leave too long and it spoils, It is very much a taste and experience thing. A bit like Guinness realy! ;)

No chance of making the perfect cuppa here then - hard water.

I agree on the milk in first principle but what not to then is to put the

tea bag in the milk, in the cup or mug, and then add boiling water. The resultant is Yuk! As I can attest having been presented with such by my son. I have still to convince him of the error of his ways. :(

Using tea bags does not help, nothing like the old fashioned stuff.

But then from my experience in the RN, Army tea is likely to be from similar methods, brewed and stewed before it gets to you.

The secret is in allowing boiling water to hit leaf tea in a pre warmed china (or earthenware) pot for just long enough to give the depth of colour required. Leave too long and it spoils, It is very much a taste and experience thing. A bit like Guinness realy! ;)

Having had the happy experience of being ' captured ' on a TA scheme and held on an RNVR minesweeper, I can recommend the Royal Navy cocoa. The tea and breakfast before being returned to shore was also excellent. We were playing soldiers, the Navy guys seemed to be training for one of those cross atlantic rowing efforts. I am not sure who won but I got 3 days pay and ration allowance not to mention a minicruise in a whaler.

Once worked with an ex-8th Army man who recalled being asked by a Brigadier on parade in North Africa, "What's the first thing to be done when taking up a new position, Corporal?" His honest reply, "Brew up, Sir!" cost him his stripe yet again!

Having had the happy experience of being ' captured ' on a TA scheme and held on an RNVR minesweeper, I can recommend the Royal Navy cocoa.

Aye! Now that is another thing altogether.

Eating the solid block is good to especially if you have had a diet of corned dog sarnies. Helps move things IYKWIM. ;)

I always used to buy the tubes of milk to take with me when spending the odd week walking across Dartmoor. It saved an enormous amount of weight, and as I remember diluted with water it made a not unacceptable drink by itself.

What a good idea!!! Can they be bought nowadays, or is this something to re-invent!! I go camping a lot and milk is always a problem to keep and store, so the new how about a new product ...'Camping Milk' for 'tea on the go'.

Just a thought...

Lindsey

Don't they make 'Marvel' any more ? Better still, caterers' mini-pots of UHT semi-skimmed milk. My local corner shop doesn't stock them, but is happy to put a box of 100 on their cash-and-carry shopping list when I want some (for fishing trips, picnics, etc).

Mick

Don't they make 'Marvel' any more ? Better still, caterers' mini-pots of UHT semi-skimmed milk. My local corner shop doesn't stock them, but is happy to put a box of 100 on their cash-and-carry shopping list when I want some (for fishing trips, picnics, etc).

Mick

The mini-pots are the thing for me. Long lasting and lightweight. You can buy them online.

The mini-pots are the thing for me. Long lasting and lightweight. You can buy them online.

also liberate them from the cafes in asda ect along with the sugar :D

bruce

also liberate them from the cafes in asda ect along with the sugar :D

bruce

ok we will go with the spelling for liberate but should it not be etc. not ect? :P

:o There must be something strange in those milk pots. When I read Tafski's post, I'm sure it said "repatriate them ..."

Better go and have another cup of tea ....

Mick