Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment Diary

Lincolnsreg

Evening all,

I have the complete War Diaries to the 2nd Battalion Lincolns between 1899-1904 and 1914-1919. If any1 is interested I can find specific information for dates.

• 2 weeks later...

Wondered if I could take advantage of your kind offer and hoped you could look up the following dates:

31 July 1917-George Henry Taylor MM, KIA

2 Dec 1917-Samuel Halford-KIA

8 May 1918-Albert Leeton-KIA

18 Aug 1918-George Dawtry-KIA

7 Sep 1918-Charles Henry Wade-KIA

23 Oct 1918-John Parker Collin-KIA

All the above were from Stamford, and any additional info as to their fate would be much appreciated. Taylor and Dawtry were both original members of the battalion.

Thanks,

Jim

• 3 years later...
Evening all,

I have the complete War Diaries to the 2nd Battalion Lincolns between 1899-1904 and 1914-1919. If any1 is interested I can find specific information for dates.

Hi, I just came across this offer whilst searching the internet for the war diaries of the 2nd Bn. This is a long shot as you offered your help a good while ago but would it be possible for you to look up the following name. And any info about what was going on the day he died or any extra info about his fate. Many Thanks,

Danielle

Private Charles William Bateman died 2nd February 1917

Hi Danielle,

All the battalion diaries mention is:

"1st – 2nd February 1917

RANCOURT

In the Trenches in the front line, right battalion left Brigade RANCOURT Sector.

(a fairly quiet time)

3rd February 1917

MAUREPAS Ravine

The Battn was relieved by the 2nd Royal Berkshire Regt and moved into Brigade reserve into Camp in MAUREPAS Ravine.

(5 OR Killed 10 OR Wounded)"

It sounds as though he was probably killed in the trenches, as there was no offensive or attacks at that time.

Sorry there is no more info.

Cheers,

Dave

• 9 months later...

Hi there I was wondering if you could help doing a couple of lookups in the 2nd Bn War Diary for me?

I'm looking for data on quite a few members of the Wade family who all served in the Regiment. Most importantly my great great grandfather:

Company Sergeant Major James William Frederick Wade DCM 3/8434, 3rd Bn, Lincolnshire Regt

In the Boer War he was in 2nd Bn as Colour Sergeant 2763, who won the DCM (London Gazette 10/09/1901 and 27/09/1901) and was taken POW at the battle of Zilikats/Nitral's Nek 11/07/1900.

He was also secretary of the POW relief fund in WWI

His Brother:

2nd Lt Samuel Shorten Arthur Wade 2nd Bn, Lincolnshire Regt. (Died at Kemmel 08/12/1914 - Le Touret Memorial) - his death is mentioned in the 1914-1918 regimental history page 73.

His Sons:

Private Robert Samuel Wade 13449, 2nd Bn, Lincolnshire Regt. (Died at Battle of Polygon Wood 26/09/1917 - Bridge House Cemetery)

Private Walter James Wade 9446, 1st Bn Lincolnshire Regt. (Discharged 22/01/1915) also regimental court martial 30/07/1914

Acting Company Sergeant Major William Augustus Wade 7597, 1st Bn, Lincolnshire Regt. (Died of wounds 25/10/1914 Mons? - Buried Bethune Town Cemetery)

Drummer Boy Joseph Michael Vincent Wade 22800, 3rd Bn, Lincolnshire Regt. (Discharged 2nd Bn 4792780, Kurseong, India 11/04/1925)

Samuel or Thomas Wade (no further official info) France, 1914-1919, wounded and gassed five times

I hope you can help!

Many Thanks

Peter

• 1 month later...
Guest triffid

Evening all,

Might I take advantage of your kind offer? Please do you have the entry for 9th May 1915. The 2nd Batt were at Fromelles in an area known as Rouges Bancs and I am especially interested in any mention of [2nd?] Lt E O Black who was killed in the evening and is commemorated on the Ploegsteert Memorial.

Many thanks

Sheilphoto

Would apprecite very much any detail regarding 14376 Thomas Stansbury 2nd Lincs, K.I.A. 1st July 1916 his nephew has approached me for some information, I have got his details re C.W.G.C. my other information is that the 2nd., Lincs attacked opposite Ovillers.

Regards Cliff.

• 7 months later...

Hello

I guess this post is a little dated now - I am very keen to have know what the 2nd Battalion was doing between 1901 and 1903 - I am researching a distant cousin called Robert Pilch. He was a private at the time, although he had served in the regiment since 1881.

Cheers

Paul

Evening all,

Have you got the information of the 2nd Bn., attack on Ovillers 1st July 1916, am interested in a man from the Parish, one Tom Stansbury ex. Lincoln City Footballer who was killed on that day, remembered on the Thiepval

Memorial.

Regards Cliff.

Evening all,

Any idea why Herman Walter von Poellnitz,the only son of a Bavarian Baron,joined the 2nd Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment on completion of his R.M.C Training in 1911.Posted to Gibraltar and then Bermuda he went to France with Colonel ******* but later transferred to the RFC and was killed in 1918 in a motoring accident in Baghdad.

Similarly anything known on 8918 Charles Leonard Deptford who served with him ?

My Thanks -

• 4 months later...

Hi, I am researching Private William Sparks (of the Prince of Wales's Volunteers - South Lancashire Regiment) who died 4 Oct 1915 at "France & Flanders." That is all the info given in the citation copied below. There is much info regarding this Regiment for 1916, but I could only find the following info for the time this soldier was killed in 1915:- "The Prince of Wales' Volunteer (South Lancashire) Regiment was briefly in France (7 September 1915 to 29 October 1915) and then departed from Marseilles for the Salonika front, where they spent the rest of the war."

This was written by Iain Kerr (in 1999) who also wrote: "The 11th (Service) Battalion of The King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment) was formed at Lancaster in August 1915 as a 'bantam' battalion, consisting of men who were below the pre-war height limits for recruits. Many of these were miners or mill workers – stunted by poor diet and social conditions. They were led by officers drawn from conventional regiments. The battalion moved to Aldershot as part of 120th Brigade in the 40th Division and were based at Blackdown, Lancs.

Do you know where I could find more info on the military action of the The Prince of Wales' Volunteer (South Lancashire) Regiment in France/Flanders from 7 September 1915 to 29 October 1915? I am particularly interested in military engagements up to and including 4 Oct 1915 when Pte Wm Sparks was killed.

Kind Regards, Richardjoe

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919 about William Sparks

Name: William Sparks

Birth Place: St. Helens, Lancs

Death Date: 4 Oct 1915

Death Location: France & Flanders

Enlistment Location: St. Helens

Regiment: Prince of Wales's Volunteers (South Lancashire Regiment)

Battalion: 1/5th Battalion

Number: 1445

Type of Casualty: Died of wounds

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

• 1 year later...

I am trying to find out when and where 9053 Private Ernest Charles Robert Brown, 2nd Battalion The Lincolnshire Regiment was wounded.

He was a Regular Soldier and was with the Battalion in Portsmouth in the 1911 Census and presumably went with them to Bermuda. His medal card shows that he embarked with the BEF with 2nd Bn on 5 Nov 1914. He was medically discharged due to wounds on 28 Feb 1916. His Service record is not available having been destroyed in the bombing during WW2.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Hello

I understand that my grandfather Benjamin Barnes joined the 2nd Battalion the Lincolnshire in late 1917 with servie number 65037. He had previously served with the 1/5th Yorks and Lancs from 1914 and then transferred to the RE in Jan 16 (he was previously a coal miner). He was discharged from the RE in April 17 with the Silver War Badge but then joined the lincolns.

Would you have any details which might confirm this and that he was definitiely 2nd Battalion. Many thanks. Philip Barnes.

Guest Andy Wade11

Hi there I was wondering if you could help doing a couple of lookups in the 2nd Bn War Diary for me?

I'm looking for data on quite a few members of the Wade family who all served in the Regiment. Most importantly my great great grandfather:

Company Sergeant Major James William Frederick Wade DCM 3/8434, 3rd Bn, Lincolnshire Regt

In the Boer War he was in 2nd Bn as Colour Sergeant 2763, who won the DCM (London Gazette 10/09/1901 and 27/09/1901) and was taken POW at the battle of Zilikats/Nitral's Nek 11/07/1900.

He was also secretary of the POW relief fund in WWI

His Brother:

2nd Lt Samuel Shorten Arthur Wade 2nd Bn, Lincolnshire Regt. (Died at Kemmel 08/12/1914 - Le Touret Memorial) - his death is mentioned in the 1914-1918 regimental history page 73.

His Sons:

Private Robert Samuel Wade 13449, 2nd Bn, Lincolnshire Regt. (Died at Battle of Polygon Wood 26/09/1917 - Bridge House Cemetery)

Private Walter James Wade 9446, 1st Bn Lincolnshire Regt. (Discharged 22/01/1915) also regimental court martial 30/07/1914

Acting Company Sergeant Major William Augustus Wade 7597, 1st Bn, Lincolnshire Regt. (Died of wounds 25/10/1914 Mons? - Buried Bethune Town Cemetery)

Drummer Boy Joseph Michael Vincent Wade 22800, 3rd Bn, Lincolnshire Regt. (Discharged 2nd Bn 4792780, Kurseong, India 11/04/1925)

Samuel or Thomas Wade (no further official info) France, 1914-1919, wounded and gassed five times

I hope you can help!

Many Thanks

Peter

Hi Pete

Im also looking into my family tree and would be gratefull if you could enlighten me about James William Frederick Wade.

James William Frederick had a son called Joseph Michael Vincent who was my grand father all our family has close ties with the military and would love to get information about how James William won his DCM

Thanks for any help

Regards Andy Wade

• 1 month later...

Very late in the day to this topic but I am trying to trace a distant cousin who I believe was a Private in the 2nd Lincolnshire Regiment during the Anglo Boer War. Not an experience he enjoyed according to the family story and after that he never left the farm in Lincolnshire again. He was Charles Applewhite.

thanks Pauline

5336 Private Applewhite C 2nd Battalion

Queens South Africa Medal - Main Medal Roll - Clasps for Cape Colony,Orange Free State,Transvaal REF 173/267

Kings South Africa Medal - South Africa 1901 and SA 1902 REF 322/4

Later transferred to 1st Battalion Lincolnshire Regt in India.

• 10 months later...

Evening all,

I appreciate that i am rather late on this one but if the offer is still open I am after any details regarding Pte Charles Edward Eden no 17973 of 2nd Bn Lincolnshire Regt. killed in action 10th Nov 1916.He was born in Wellesbourne, Warwickshire. Where were the battallion at that time?

Thanks

Regards

Grev

Another request, please what was up on 22nd March 1918. 2nd day of the Kaiserschlacht as I see it. CSM George TOYN, M.M. of the 2nd Lincolnshires, 177th Brigade died that day and is my interest.

Thanks in advance and in hope

Tony

• 1 month later...

Hi Attached is a picture of my Grandfather Alfred Benjamin Taylor who was in Bermuda with the 2nd Lincs at the start of the War.

I you have any information I would be most grateful. Unfortunately I don't have his number.

He went on to serve in Egypt. pic to follow...

post-107911-0-90215000-1394192101_thumb.

If I might take you up on your offer I would appreciate details of the 2nd battalion on 21 April 1917. I'm looking for anything on Cpl Harry Jordan.

Thanks

Garth

• 3 weeks later...

Am looking for any info about

Private Albert Stephenson

Died 9 May 1915

Lincolnshire Regiment

Missing in Action

Commemorated on the Menin Gate Panel 21

Looking for any info regarding his death, was it from wounds, enemy action, gas attack. Am presuming it was in the battle for Ypres, I think he was 1st Battalion but not sure but definitely Lincolnshire Regiment. He is my great great grandfather.

I realise it is some time since you made the kind offer to help, but if I may take you up on it it would be most appreciated.

My wife's great uncle, Herbert Tyson, Private 24894, 2nd Bn Lincolnshire Regiment died on 27 October 1916. He is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial.

Any information you may be able to provide of activities connected to the 2nd Bn around that date would be of great help in our family research.

Many thanks, Michael