Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment Diary

Lincolnsreg

Hi my name is David Ellin  this is my first post having just found this forum.ive been researching my grandad's WW1 history. His name was Benjamin Ellin private 8517 .,2nd batt Lincolnshire regiment he was in Bermuda when war started.landed in france part of25th brigade of 8th division on 5/6 November 1914 .He was severely and  wounded at the battle of neuve chapelle on the 10th of March .and after time in hospital was discharged 31/8/15 .Ido hope he is on picture on previous post ps he joined the army in 1908 at 20 year's old I have his active service pay book which shows he drew £10 on both 2nd and 9th of March I guess he knew it was about to kick off and was cashing his chips .so pleased to have found this forum .any more information on my grandad or regiment I would be very grateful .

Hi David, welcome to the Forum. It looks like your research has been thorough but, should you not have them, Benjamin's full service record, Medal Index Card (MIC) and Pension Ledger are available on Fold3 which is a subscription service, though you can pay for one month at about $7.00. Alternatively, the MIC is available at the National Archives which is free to download at this link https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D3454628

The 2nd Battalion War Diary is also available for download, as previously mentioned, at the National Archives on https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352498

Edited by Gunner 87

Thank you for the link s Gunner87 I have (mic) I've not heard of fold3 but it and 2nd battalion war diary  download are on my to do list . much appreciated thank you

Gunner87 I managed to download regiment dairy last night and delighted with what it contains ,between you and Corporal Sykes I'm much more knowledgeable.So thanks again to both of you regards David

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/03/2021 at 10:21, David Ellin said:

Gunner87 I managed to download regiment dairy last night and delighted with what it contains ,between you and Corporal Sykes I'm much more knowledgeable.So thanks again to both of you regards David

Great stuff and marvellous photos..if you see any reference to Harry Park or William Barker or mention of men of Barton on Humber give us the nod David 

• 3 years later...

Hi,

I'm looking for any information on my great grandfather who was in the Lincs reg during the boar war. His name was Arthur Morley but I have lots of evidence he also used the name Henry Clarke with the number 3078. I think he may have been attached to 7th Mounted Infantry during the boar war so would love to find any information about his service. 

Thanks in advance.

• Admin

Did he also see service in the Great War? This forum doesn’t deal with the Boer War. If he had later service, and his service papers survived , then his Boer War service might be mentioned. 
You could try sending the OP a private message as they say they have the war diaries which cover the Boer War. 

Thanks Michelle, 

I understand that this forum is for WW1 however the initial thread (admittedly from 2006) was offering information from the war diaries of 2nd Batt Lincs between 1899-1904 which covers the period when they were in South Africa and after the Boer war finished. This was when my relative was part of the battalion. He did re-enlist in 1916 but joined the RVC (Royal Veterinary Corps) with service number 19935 however I have his service well documented and I have his diaries from WW1. It's his earlier military service in the Lincs regiment that I'm trying to piece together - attested in 1892 and likely served until at least 1907. 

If anyone can share the 1899-1904 war diaries for 2nd Batt Lincs or let me know where I can download them it would be most useful.

Kind regards