Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment Diary

Lincolnsreg

Hi PapaS I am not an expert but have researched a few Lincolnshire men. I believe this is part of the attack on Zenith Trench dated 23rd of October (end of the Battle of Somme period) you could get War diary for this period or read History of Lincolnshire Regiment 1914-18 by by C.R. Simpson from a Library ,copies around( Herbert is listed for 2nd batt. Roll of Honour. ) They withdrew from Rose trench on 27th Oct. with casualties of 23 killed,129 wounded and 120 missing. My Great Uncle was also one of these missing men. Hope this may help in the absence of more informed information from others. The action is well documented but did not receive any battle honours for their efforts.

Regards Freeform

Hi PapaS Your relatives records have survived and can be viewed on line in various places. There is a Lincs expert on this forum under Bingo794 ,if you could locate him he could fill in a lot of gaps for you. My Great Uncle followed sameroute as your relative with 2nd battalion and is commemorated on same pillar face Thiepval memorial.

Hope this helps, regards freeform

• 1 month later...
Guest strephene

Hi,

I am researching the soldiers from Horncastle Lincolnshire who died in the first war, Do you have any information on Lance Corporal 201531 Ralph Brown 2nd Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment. He died of wounds 9 October 1918. Awarded the DCM for his part in the Battle of Vaucelette Farm near Epehy.

Thank you

Col

• 1 month later...
Guest Pauld59

Wondered if I could take advantage of your kind offer and hoped you could look up the following dates:

31 July 1917-George Henry Taylor MM, KIA

2 Dec 1917-Samuel Halford-KIA

8 May 1918-Albert Leeton-KIA

18 Aug 1918-George Dawtry-KIA

7 Sep 1918-Charles Henry Wade-KIA

23 Oct 1918-John Parker Collin-KIA

All the above were from Stamford, and any additional info as to their fate would be much appreciated. Taylor and Dawtry were both original members of the battalion.

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim,

Just wondered of you got any information about George Dawtry that you could share, he was my Great Uncle. Thanks. Paul.

• 2 months later...
Guest Heidi Stewart

Hi,

Can anyone help me with any info on George Henry Taylor who was KIA on 31st July 1917 aged 32 years.

I did read that somebody has diaries from the 2nd Lincolnshire Regiment??

I'm trying to find out anything really and would be grateful for any help.

He lived in Stamford, his mother was Mary Ann Lilley. He is remembered at Menin Gate but doesn't seem to be mentioned on the Stamford Memorial, poor chap.

• 2 years later...

Hi, hope I am not too late to take advantage of your kind offer, I am researching  8005 Serjeant Frederick Martinelli 2nd BTl Lincolnshire Regt k.i.a. at the Battle of Neuve Chapelle 10 March 1915.  Any diary notes for that day would be much appreciated.  His brother Charles William Martinelli (veteran of the Boer War) was also a Serjeant in the same Battalion.  Family history says that Frederick was killed rushing a German machine gun operated by two officers, he was killed, Charles was incensed at seeing his younger brother killed and followed Capt Bastard into the trench where they dispatched the Germans with bayonet and revolver.

• 3 months later...

Just looking into a couple of those on our village war memorial who died whilst serving with the 2nd battalion:

L/Cpl George Henry Harvey 15192 - 31st July 1917

Cpl Harry Howsam 9146 - 9th May 1915

Any info on either of these soldiers or the actions in which they died much appreciated. 

Mike 

• 3 months later...

My Uncle Harry Whitworth fought at the Battle of the Sambre in 1918.  His service No. was 40551  2nd Lincolnshire.  He was awarded the Military Medal.for courage in taking the small town of Bachant.  I wonder if you have any further details please.  Many thanks in anticipation

Pauline Haycock

• 2 months later...

Hi - If possible, may I take advantage of your generous offer?

My ancestor Ernest Henry LOCK enlisted in 1st Bn 2nd Lincs on 16 Feb 1909 and although he appears in the 1911 Census at Victoria Barracks, Portsmouth we'd love to know where he was between these dates.

He was discharged wounded on 11 Nov 1917 and was awarded the Silver Ward Badge. Do you have any details of this incident?

Finally, he was awarded the Military Medal (London Gazette 11 May 1917); do you have any details of why and where he earned this?

Thanks in anticipation

Stan

• Admin
13 hours ago, Stanley Gooch said:

Hi - If possible, may I take advantage of your generous offer?

My ancestor Ernest Henry LOCK enlisted in 1st Bn 2nd Lincs on 16 Feb 1909 and although he appears in the 1911 Census at Victoria Barracks, Portsmouth we'd love to know where he was between these dates.

He was discharged wounded on 11 Nov 1917 and was awarded the Silver Ward Badge. Do you have any details of this incident?

Finally, he was awarded the Military Medal (London Gazette 11 May 1917); do you have any details of why and where he earned this?

Thanks in anticipation

Stan

Stan

Welcome to the forum, this is a very old thread and predates the digitisation of the war diaries by the National Archives and Ancestry 

The diary can be downloaded from TNA for £3.50 http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352498

or viewed on Ancestry

His discharge would have been some months after the incident in which he was wounded and not recorded in the diary.  It's probable the wounding and the award are linked.  There may be a mention in the diary

In the meantime suggest you have a look at the parent site The Long Long Trail (link top right) 'researching a soldier'.

Ken

• 7 months later...

Bit of a stretch I know as my reply is 13 years after the original post, but here goes. Wondered if you have any information on Pte John William HODSON 8561 who was in the 2nd Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment (8th Divison I think). John was KIA on 10 March 1915 during the Battle of Neuve Chapelle. John is my Great Uncle. Any help appreciated in finding further details. Many thanks.

• 5 months later...

Hi, I have recently found out that I am descendant of George Henry Taylor MM, KIA 31 July 1917, his name is inscribed on the Menin gate and I am trying to find his citation for the MM?

On 10/10/2014 at 18:47, Guest Heidi Stewart said:

Hi,

Can anyone help me with any info on George Henry Taylor who was KIA on 31st July 1917 aged 32 years.

I did read that somebody has diaries from the 2nd Lincolnshire Regiment??

I'm trying to find out anything really and would be grateful for any help.

He is a descendant of mine I have recently found out via my family tree, may I ask you interest?

• Admin
2 hours ago, Magic_61 said:

Hi, I have recently found out that I am descendant of George Henry Taylor MM, KIA 31 July 1917, his name is inscribed on the Menin gate and I am trying to find his citation for the MM?

Unfortunately citations for the MM have not survived.  The good news is that Pte 9391 Taylor’s service records, though degraded have survived.  A regular soldier he enlisted in 1912.  The records show he was awarded the Military Medal on the 11th November 1916.  The war diary (see link above or on Ancestry here if you subscribe) shows nothing of significance on that date.  However, in September there is a report of a trench raid on the 19th/20th September, although not mentioned by name it’s possible  Pte Taylor was involved in that operation.

The date is the date is the notification appeared in the Supplement to the London Gazette dated 9th November 1916.

The other source may be local newspapers (Stamford).

Ken

• 1 month later...

Hello-I am just looking for the position or thereabouts of 2 Batt on 31 July 17-cant find much in the official history for these days but Im assuming Messines and in particular William Earl Pte 40213 of Wintringham who died/killed on this date. WWilliam was given according to family history a choice when sentenced for stealing apples of prison or enlisting. 

earl8.jpg

The war diary has a detailed 3 page account of the action on 31 July 1917 near Westhoek.  On Ancestry here:https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/60779/43849_2152_0-00000?backurl=&ssrc=&backlabel=Return#?imageId=43112_1730_0-00193  starts at image 194.  National Archives here:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=2+lincolnshire+WO+95

Max

Brilliant Max thanks I will have a look at those .

• 1 year later...

Hopefully making up for my poor first effort. this link is to the trench map and present day image:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=14&lat=50.16762&lon=3.59207&layers=101465122&right=BingHyb

His initial burial place was in square F 15 c, (lower left quadrant of F 15), bang in the centre of the map, top left of the dark almost square wood 

The war diary has an extract of the map that can be compared and the map references in the dairy can be followed to the trench map.

Max

• 3 months later...
On 05/03/2011 at 15:26, NRP.HKP said:

Any idea why Herman Walter von Poellnitz,the only son of a Bavarian Baron,joined the 2nd Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment on completion of his R.M.C Training in 1911.Posted to Gibraltar and then Bermuda he went to France with Colonel ******* but later transferred to the RFC and was killed in 1918 in a motoring accident in Baghdad.

Similarly anything known on 8918 Charles Leonard Deptford who served with him ?

My Thanks -

Hi - I can help here as he was a relative of mine.  He suffered from a bad case of trench foot and was invalided home in Dec 1914, returning to France in Apr 1915.  Within a few days he was wounded in the leg and had to go to hospital for 4 months and it is suspected that it was probably during this time he decided on joining the RFC.  Once he had trained he moved around various squadrons before finally being put in command of the new 72 squadron in Jun 1917, where he was promoted to rank of Major.  They were based in Mesopotamia.  Picture of him flying his plane that was in the national papers attached.  I would be interested in any information regarding his time in the 2nd Battalion Lincolnshires please

Capt HW von Poellnitz taking off from Vert Galand July 1916 (32 Sqn).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

On 17/03/2006 at 21:55, Lincolnsreg said:

Evening all,

I have the complete War Diaries to the 2nd Battalion Lincolns between 1899-1904 and 1914-1919. If any1 is interested I can find specific information for dates.

Hi - one of my relatives was in the 2nd Lincs following Sandhurst which he left in July 1911 - Herman Walter Von Poellnitz.  He was invalided out with trench foot 21 Dec 1914, rejoining the regiment again in April 1915, but on the 18th April was wounded again and spent 4 months in hospital.  In a family diary there is this interesting piece of paper - looks like an official document and reads "for the Canadian Contingent sent by Herman who came with his regiment 2 Lincs at the same time".  I would be interested to learn more about what they got up to 1914/15, if there are any regimental photos, especially if he was in any (he was a NCO) and also if anyone knows what the document I have attached was actually for.  Many thanks. 

ship.jpg

Well it's been a while since I was last on here and I will have to dig the diaries out, but I have come across your relative in my searches before. 

There are basically very few photographs of the battalion from 1914 onwards. I have some family ones, but they mostly pre-date 1912. I have the same printing as that piece of paper on a a postcard (I think), which my Gt Gt Grandfather saved (he was a drummer in A Coy). It is the convoy that carried the battalion back from Bermuda, via Nova Scotia (picking up the Canadian contingent) to England following the outbreak of war, where the Lincolns then formed part of the 25th Brigade in the 8th Division before shipping out to France. If I remember correctly from what my Gt Grandmother told me (she travelled with the army from 1907-14), the Lincolns came back aboard the SS Canada. Attached is a poor pic of my family on board that ship. My Gt Gt Grandfather sitting, with my Gt Grandmother kneeling beside him. His wife and three other of their children are also in the photo.

family aboard a ship.jpg

Edited by Lincolnsreg

Brilliant - thank you.  I like the photo.  Wish we had something like that but sadly not.  Herman had been on Gibraltar in Dec 2011 and was also part of D company that went to Bermuda too, so it is interesting to know that was why they came back via Canada

Were there many photos of the Battalion pre 1914?