Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officers with long or unusual names

museumtom

Never mind these posh names - i've just figured out why i'm sometimes referred to as the 'Abersoch Kid' :o

Here's a real toff with a good name

Lt George Uyoyian Naylor-Leyland , Royal Horse Guards

Never came across 'Uyoyian' before. 6 vowels and 1 constanant

Sadly died at Mons, 1914.

Aside from the fact that it is a real name and inadmissable, it would never turn the tide in Scrabble.

I did a fairly lengthy attachment to the Life Guards in the early 90s, they had more aristocratic double-barrels than Purdy's!

Excellent people though.

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread, and a couple of years ago, that they had found quite a number of officers who had been given the mother's maiden. I have had this experience too, but with soldiers as well as officers.

2Lt Derrick Francis Childe - Mother called France.

Pte George Dobson Acomb - Mother called Dobson.

Pte Clifford Noble Corlett - Mother called Noble.

There are more, but I think you can work out the pattern here.

Cheers,

Nigel

Lt George Uyoyian Naylor-Leyland , Royal Horse Guards

Geraint,

y is a vowel in Welsh, but a consonant in English. Names ending in -ian are often Armenian.

Mick

I don't know whether he had a posh name but I did once speak with a major in "civvies" who was extremly well spoken and came complete with cravatte and monacle, a stereotype if ever there was one.

Gareth

Mick B)

You are right - a hazard of being bilingual!

Why worry ...

5 vowels and 3 consonants, or 1 vowel and 7 consonants, depending on which of your two tongues you're speaking with ... :D

Cofion

Mick

• 3 weeks later...

Not poncy.. but....

I fronted up on a promotion course in Qld & on the first morning parade the CSM instructed me to take the roll.

I formed the course members up on the parade ground & proceeded ..."Answer your names excusing rank"...

I hesitated at the first name on the clipboard, but the CSM barked at me to get on with it..

Appiness I tried... No response!

Ape-iness.... still no response!

Ay-pen-is.. Nothing...

Running out of alternatives, I tried pronouncing what I was hoping it wasn't... Apenis

The guy responded & I had to get the squad back under control as the CSM growled behind me!

And so it was that first thing every morning, Apenis was the first to stand to attention, which always seemed to raise a smile!

True story!

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know whether he had a posh name but I did once speak with a major in "civvies" who was extremly well spoken and came complete with cravatte and monacle, a stereotype if ever there was one.

Gareth

more so tham for example, Brit on holiday, beer gut hanging over trackie bottoms, dirty trainers, egg-stained tee shirt, shaven head and dirty teeth .... I know which one I would rather be sitting next to on the train!

more so tham for example, Brit on holiday, beer gut hanging over trackie bottoms, dirty trainers, egg-stained tee shirt, shaven head and dirty teeth .... I know which one I would rather be sitting next to on the train!

Beware many a captain of industry travels as such.Its all about being unassuming and "touching base" with the common man.

Never attest a man by his dress.

Incidentally, cannot afford the train.

What about Reginald ******* of the 2nd Lincolns? Sounds more like a name for a CSM than an officer! Wonder if his descendants kept the name?

So this is where I record the name of a son of our village!

Lieutenant Drogo Edward Baskerville Polwhele of DCLI and 2nd Essex - resigned commission due to illness consequent on Active Service around 1917; serving in Egypt.

Mike

A German flyer killed in his Gotha 17-1-1918:

Reichsunmittelbare Graf Adelmann von und zu Adelmannsfelden.

Phil.

• 4 weeks later...

All very jolly, but I am put in mind of a classic line from Zulu:

Chard: I wonder whose son and heir thought that up

Bromhead: I rather think he is nobody's son and heir now.

I think we'd have a lot of searching to do before we found a stranger name than this hero-

PICT2830.jpg

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

re post 142

V. Awly Magawly De Calry - wonderful name but what did the V stand for? Do we know?

VALERIO AWLY MAGAWLY DE CALRY

Son of 6th Count Magawly Cerati de Calry and Countess Magawly Cerati de Calry (nee Abbott); husband of Sheila Magawly de Calry.

• 2 weeks later...

Not British, but one of my favorite triple-barrelled names was Lt. Gen. Alfred Freiherr von Quadt-Wykradt-Huchtenbruck, commander of the 76th German Reserve Division during the Meuse-Argonne Offensive.

A quick look through any version of Officers died in the great war shows the most incredible 'strange and funny' officers first names. Has that type of naming gone to the dogs or are there still people out there naming their male offspring like they did in the old days?.

Did that type of naming die out after ww1?

Tom.

Dont think it was just officers who had funny names - I am trawling through the Reading Absent voters lists for 1918 and there are many strange names - one family had two boys named Romulus and Remus another named their son after the battle of Maiwand. There was also a Duncan Alexander Renouf Paterson and a Conrad Birdwood Willcocks. In the years after the Boer War there were lots of Mafeking's but only a few got to take part in WW1.

regards

John

• 2 weeks later...

i do hope no relatives of the brave men who are mentioned in this thread ever see it, or they may find some of the p**s taking of their names as objectionable as i do.