Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officers with long or unusual names

museumtom

2nd Lt. Guy Ebdon Fitzgerald Boyes is a favourite of mine. RGA followed by a longish career in the RAF.

13 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

... several of whom reached high office:

Would that be the Air Ministry roof?

Ron

*giggles*

5 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

Would that be the Air Ministry roof?

Ron

No. I am fairly confident that the top floor at Bracknell, where the GODS lurked, was higher than the old Air Ministry.

Even if not, we had no staff senior to about Principal [say Lt Col/ Col] in London by the time my contemporaries had climbed the greasy pole.

In retrospect, it was a great shame that Messrs Rayner and Hayles did not join [as far as I know].

Edited by Muerrisch

• 3 weeks later...

Captain Wifred Henry Cullen Pery-Knox-Gore RWF. Temporary Lt Col Chief Instructor MGC later in the war. Mention in Despatches. Survived.

2nd Lt Arthur Robert Tailzour-Shepherd, 2/1 Westmoreland and Cumberland Yeomanry. He resigned his commission and joined up in the ranks and was killed as 27577, Pte Arthur Robert Tailzour-Shepherd, 7 O&BLI on 9 May 1917. He is on at least two war memorials in Westmoreland and one in Kincardineshire.

His father whose name was Shepherd incorporated his wife's name after they married (notice in LG). The wife came from a county family called Taylor which may have been spelled "Tailyour" in the past. Branches of the family do use the Tailyour form. I have found no-one else who used Tailzour. The father reverted to just Shepherd following the death of his son and his wife (again notice in LG - there were no other children).

RM

I think that the z in Tailzour, as in Menzies, is actually a runic letter (possibly 'gifu') whose use has survived in some places, especially in Scotland. Tailyour would be a closer approximation to the actual pronunciation.

Ron

Just now, Ron Clifton said:

I think that the z in Tailzour, as in Menzies, is actually a runic letter (possibly 'gifu') whose use has survived in some places, especially in Scotland. Tailyour would be a closer approximation to the actual pronunciation.

Ron

Correct. But it is usually in the "nz" form as supposedly being nearer to the original letter. I think I have also heard that it was related to an Anglo-Saxon letter/ sound. I once lived quite close a place called Enzie. I wonder why they went for the Tailzour form when everyone else went for Tailyour. (Perhaps they were following the example of "Dalziel".)

RM

James Johnston Harris Stalker has a fine ring to it. 

Soldier in the First Surrey Rifles, commissioned and served in 11/Royal Warwickshires, killed near Arras, 28 April 1917.  Sadly the spot is now covered by the A1/A26 junction.

Edited by brummell

• 6 months later...

Arthur Thomas Bernardo Bignold de Cologan Marques de Torrehermosa

Commissioned into the LRBin 1913, seconded to the Somaliland Camel Corps 1914-15 rejoining the LRB in 1916, died 14th February 1968.

Andy

Launcelot Lindsay brook Dunlop.  11th Cheshire’s 

William Brabazon Hallowes Parker 

8th Cheshire’s 

• 3 years later...

Just making sure this thread is still up and running,and putting forward the name George Champion De Crespigny, passed out of Sandhust in 1915, any knowledge?

26 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Just making sure this thread is still up and running,and putting forward the name George Champion De Crespigny, passed out of Sandhust in 1915, any knowledge?

Yep - there's him and a whole swarm of related, and equally long handled, De Crespigneys recorded at:   Community: de Crespigny family | Lives of the First World War (iwm.org.uk) 

Edited by TullochArd

• 10 months later...
On 14/08/2021 at 03:41, Knotty said:

George Arthur Oscar (Arthur) Champion_de_Crespigny was born on 25 November 1894 in Desborough, Northamptonshire. His father was George Harrison Champion de Crespigny (1863 - 1945). He died on 7 December 1962 in Portsmouth, Hampshire, at the age of 68. (He was my 2nd cousin 3 times removed)

Dear AnneYoungAu,

Your Champion de Crespigny relation was the absolute epitome of a Capable and Gallant Officer. One is pleased that he survived the War, but rather unfortunate that he died so comparitively young, at only 68.

As far as unusual Officer names are concerned, I have the medals of Henry Godfrey Wedderburn-Maxwell, MBE, 4th class Nile Order. His 1918 Mention in Despatches was gazetted as a 2nd 1914980174_1WedderburnsMBEparchment1930.jpg.236328b547b0171fbaadea44bb861489.jpg208487181_2WedderburnsMBEparchment1930.jpg.186dfdf915cc27daa01fbd532529d6fb.jpgWedderburn-Maxwell.jpg.530293fa4086a267de5af949317db35c.jpgLieut but he was a youthful Battery Commander and Temporary Major at 19.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Mate,

We of cause had two on these;

CHAMPION DeCRESPIGNY    Constantine Trent    Dr    LtCol    3 AGH    to 2ic 10-15 MID - for his work on Murdos 1915 (G) to CO 1 AGH 2-16 prom T/Col 3-17 DSO & MID - reason not stated possibly at Bullecourt prom Col 9-17 F&B relist Col AAMC GR NTOS disch 13-1-18 MU influenza (Capt 1914 CMF) brothers Phillip 5 LHR & Hugh Maj RAF MC DFC

CHAMPION DeCRESPIGNY    Philip    3479    Pte    05 LHR    30R to Reinf camp 4-18 to 1 LHTR 7-18 tos ASqn?/02 LHR (3479a) 7-18 killed during German attack at Abu Tellul buried Mussalabeh Cemetery by chaplain clarke reburied Jerusalem War Cemetery Palestine brothers Constantine DSO LtCol AAMC and Hugh MC DFC Maj RAF

S.B