Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officers with long or unusual names

museumtom

A quick look through any version of Officers died in the great war shows the most incredible 'strange and funny' officers first names. Has that type of naming gone to the dogs or are there still people out there naming their male offspring like they did in the old days?.

Did that type of naming die out after ww1?

Tom.

A quick look through any version of Officers died in the great war shows the most incredible 'strange and funny' officers first names. Has that type of naming gone to the dogs or are there still people out there naming their male offspring like they did in the old days?.

Tom.

A reflection of the large percentage of aristocracy in the officer corps. When the family name goes back yonks, first names become important as well. I suspect that if you could see the full names nowadays, they still exist. People like that don't throw much away. It's why they need large attics. You can always be known by one of your middle names. Guess what Prince Charles' full name is.

Guess what Prince Charles' full name is.

You mean the Prince Charles who wondered why the plane seats were so uncomfortable and then found he was in club class? (Today`s Telegraph). It`s called the Princess and the Pea effect!

"A chartered British Airways 747 took a large party of official representatives from Heathrow to Hong Kong and I found myself and my staff on the top deck in what is normally Club Class. It took me some time to realise that this was not first class(!) although it puzzled me as to why the seat seemed so uncomfortable. I then discovered that others like Edward Heath, Douglas Hurd, the new Foreign Secretary Robin Cook, several former Governors of Hong Kong such as Lord Maclehose and Lord Wilson and the leader of the Liberal Democrats, Paddy Ashdown, were comfortably ensconced in first class immediately below us. "Such is the end of the Empire I sighed to myself…"

But I think truthergw has it about right. It`s a way of announcing your class along with your name. Impress the peasants. Inform other members of your perceived class that you`re one of them. I suppose that if you`re really secure in your status you needn`t do it. Douglas Haig? Phil B

Naming is a fashion accessory.

Even today (at least in the UK), we see children with "invented" names or names adopted from the famous or those which are simply fashionable at the time. When I was born (in 1950). John was amongst the most popular names but it is rare to see it today for a newborn. It's still possible with some names to make a good guess of age or class of the owner.

Little changes

John

C. P. A. G.

I believe that he was named after his mothers favourite charity - Child Poverty Action Group :D

I forgot to say that Liz Windsor told her husband that the initials stood for Charles Phillip Arthur George, but we know better! :lol:

There a corker of a name from an officer in the 5th Royal Irish Lancers -

Captain Vane de Vallance Mortimer Vallance

Now that is class.

Pun intended.

"What's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as much."

Badly quoted piece from W. Shakespeare.

There's always a "reason" for family names being as they are; family tradition, fashion etc. Has anyone noticed that double barrelled and hyphenated surnames are becoming more popular?

Years ago I was sorting out a problem for a chap who was a bit on the posh side. When I told him my surname, he giggled and said, " Oh! Super! Tarquin and Tudor will be delighted when I tell them that I've met Squirrel Nutkins!"

As he gave me a largish cheque for the work that we'd done I didn't pass any comment.

On another occasion, a lady telephoned my office and asked if we could do anything about a squirrel in her loft. I rang her back with some information as to when we would be round to deal with it and she asked my name. When I told her, she asked if I was taking the p**s and slammed the phone down.

A WW2 one - Rannulph Twistleton Wykham Feinnes was kia commanding the Royal Scots Greys in France.

The German intelligence report on commanders of British units was discovered at a later stage and it was noted that the regiment appeared to be commanded by a committee.

I am sure that there are some names similar to the one quoted in the Army today - Household Cavalry Officers list would be a good place to start looking.

But then they are usually referred to as "Rupert" anyway.

Squirrel you just got me told off at work you sod!! I absolutely cracked up about the lady putting the phone down on you and the boss told me off and I was to calm down!! How you like it eh? HILARIOUS!!!!!

A WW2 one - Rannulph Twistleton Wykham Feinnes was kia commanding the Royal Scots Greys in France.

His son is the explorer/adventurer of the same name.

No imagination some people :)

PS

Wasn't his father killed in Italy?

You are probably right Beppo - I have to rely on a failing memory these days!

His son is the explorer/adventurer of the same name.

No imagination some people :)

PS

Wasn't his father killed in Italy?

I checked it out. It was Italy, and here is his drivers account of his death:

"The time was approaching for us to move on, and we boarded a ship for Italy but first we went to Bizerta in North Africa then to Salerno. This was a very tough job. Italy had capitulated and we were given the news about 9pm. the previous night. We heard a sigh of relief at the news. However, when we attempted to land, all hell let loose. The Germans were secure in the rocks and high ground and we suffered many casualties. One ship was sunk. Our main target was Battapaglia. The German tanks arrived in force and quite a battle took place. The battle for Salerno seemed to last forever. After 17 days when we had counted all our injuries we moved on to Maiori.

This war in Italy was so different from the one in the desert. Apart from the weather - a not very pleasant Italian winter - there were many casualties. The worst news was the death of the Commanding Officer. On this particular day in November we went to a place called Fontanella Fredda, when I say "we" there was Colonel Fiennes, Major Peter Borwick and myself in a Scout Car (Dingo). At Fontanellla Fredda the Colonel left the car and stepped onto the verge on to some trip wire and set off some mines which threw him up into the air. Major Peter Borwick went over to help him, but he too went up on some mines. I managed to get them back on to the road, this alerted the Germans who ,let us have a few shots of shellfire. Although I managed to get the car started it would not move. I got out to see what the trouble was and found that an unexploded shell was jamming the back wheel. The Colonel was shouting at me to get a move on (or words to that effect!). I took the shovel out of the car and prised the shell clear. At last we were able to move and set off for the Regiment. I radioed the Regiment and told them I had 2 wounded officers. On the way I met the Brigadier and told him what had happened. He told me to take them both to the hospital, but the Colonel had different ideas, he told me he wanted to go back to the Regiment as soon as possible. We arrived back and they were both taken to hospital in Naples. We learned later that the Brigadier's Dingo went up on a mine on the same road that I travelled on and his driver lost both of his legs. We heard later that the C.O. died on the 25th November. Indeed a great loss to the Regiment. This more or less was the end of operations with the C.O. out of action. For a short time I was sent to R.H.Q. to operate the rear link to the Brigade. While I was there I actually took the message that the C.O. had died. I was very surprised as I saw him in hospital the previous day. The Colonel was walking about. Peter Borwick was in bed not looking very well."

Source: http://homepage.eircom.net/~scotsgreys/

Of the men I am researching, many have their mother's maiden name as their middle name 'Lawrence Cave Sowter', 'John Brasier Sherriff', 'John Riley Salisbury'; one family of Wesleyans had 'Wesley' as a middle name, others seem to have taken surnames as a first name - 'Barr' and 'Sergeant' Denton, Barker Campion - must have caused some confusion when filling in paperwork. Percy seems to have been a popular name at the turn of the century too.

I've always liked the name of the author of "Sniping in France" - Maj. Hesketh Hesketh-Pritchard. I find it very difficult to say.

Tom

Well Tom, you see it's not really a name designed for oiks to use.

Yours,

Lord Henry Dundonald Rupert Vincent Algernon Hesketh-Hesketh-Hesketh

(aka Andrew Hesketh - my street name for when I mix with the plebs)

Those names are still alive and well and many having gone back hundreds of years will still be around when Broklyn, Romeo and the rest of the soap stars names will be confined to the history books.

If names like Arthur and Leo are making come backs look out !

There was a Brigadier McGregor McGregor of Clan McGregor Bt Late Scots Guards serving in the 1980's so look hard and you will find them.

Rob

PS Poncy is a bit harsh would you like to be called Romeo? I think not-give me Rupert or Rory any day.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rob B @ Feb 23 2006, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

There was a Brigadier McGregor McGregor of Clan McGregor Bt Late Scots Guards serving in the 1980's so look hard and you will find them.

Rob

During WW2 my father served in the 60th Rifles under Lieutenant the Lord St Just.

His mates just called him Peter Grenfell.

Really tricky these Ruperts. :lol:

And there are plenty to choose from the book "The Aristocracy in The Great War". Don't have the tome to hand so unable to quote the author.

Do remember from reading through it that while their names may seem unusual to us today they were in the main a brave and dedicated bunch.

These rather grand names have the edge on Wayne, Duane, Brooklyn surely?

.... and Britney and Troy and Bradley (where he come from??) and Kylie and ....

Beppo,

I'me not surprised would you like to be called Algernon, Algy is so much cooler, here are some more:

Marcus Beresford Busfield Stapleton Martin or Richard Aubrey de Burgh Rose CMG, DSO. And to leave on a real high Wigstrom Hercules Beresford de Courcy-Wheeler

Rob

My Grandfather's cousin - William Ewert Astill (WW1, Machine Gun Corps - Leicester and England cricketer) might not have had a 'poncy' name - but sure as anything it gave away his parents' politics! My old Headmaster, Alfred Redvers Stedman (Marlborough Grammar School) had a more 'military' middle name. Whilst indulging myself I recall my old chemistry master making us sniff chlorine - "That's what they gave us in the trenches". Wish I appreciated at the time what a privilege it was to be taught by that generation.

Edwin Astill