Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme ghost stories / Pals happenings ??

BULLDOGFOGG

Back in 1976, I was walking the Somme battlefields around Albert, Thiepval and Authuille. In fact I spent the night in a trench opposite Serre on June 30th and 'went over the top' exactly 60 years after the opening attack on July 1st. Negotiating a huge combine harvester containing a rather startled farmer, I started walking toward Serre and looking to my right and left I was very surprised to see large numbers of other people who must have done the same thing; they weren't ghosts of course but it was a strange feeling because I thought I was alone there. I later found out the were (unsurprisingly) mostly Brits.

On the same trip I was sleeping under the stars and one warm night and decided to sleep in a CWWG cemetery (I can't recall which one). I can't really explain but found that a very odd and scary experience and after a couple of hours of unaccountable terror I left the place and went to sleep under a roadside shrine to the Madonna! I'm not at all religious but I slept very well there!

Alec

• 2 years later...

I have just returned from a tour of the Somme and on my return to Blighty I was horrified to discover that I have 3 very strange Video's that have been recorded only seconds after I took a photo. The first is at the Hooge museum. I took a photo of the shell display and a video has appeared of the same display with some very strange sounds and a mans voice saying something like Iwilner. The second is on the coach I think going to Belville wood. I took a picture from the window of the coach and then apparently my camera has stayed on and switched to video and on the back of the seat appears a very strange fussy white light that moves and disappears. The third is the one that has frightened me most. I think it was at the Cemetery at Arras. I took a photo of a grave of an Irish soldier who had my family name but was not related to me. Then to my horror a video has also been recorded and at the end the camera moves from the gravestone to the grave and a mans breathless voice can be heard clearly saying Mordeo or Mortdeo. At first I thought it might be Gaelic but I think it may be Latin. I googled it and if it's the first it means I Bite I Consume I Pain or I hurt. If it's the second it might be Death day. As you can imagine I am petrified that this should happen and why me. Has anyone had a similar experience. I have sent the clips to 2 Paranormal organisations who have not had the decency to reply or give me any advice. I am 63 years of age and have never had anything like this happen in my life. That voice came from nowhere.

If you want to be scared in Mametz Wood, just visit in the hunting season. :glare: (and wear something orange!)

John

Scared but certainly not supernatural.

Overnight ferry and drive, end June 1986, no sleep. Arrived at Thiepval and walked down into the cemetery. Just at dawn - bird scarer on photoelectric cell went off over on the Leipzig Redoubt. Altitude reached - about 2 feel apparently.

John

Thanks for your response to my post. Dave

I'll try and get round to posting the Images and the Video's as well sometime towards the end of the week. I heard nothing at the time but you should have seen the look of horror on my face when I retuned home and played the video back.

I kid you not there is something going on that can not be explained.

This I am really looking forward to. I have certainly inadvertently shot video while taking photographs but nothing paranormal about them.

Hazel

Have posted The Photo's and Video's in my Gallery

please get back to me with your thoughts. as I said

before I have never experienced anything like this

in my life. I can't bring myself to use my Camera

anymore and I have since bought myself a new one

Sounds crazy I know. Please treat these images and

Video's with Respect for those who fell.

imitty,

I watched your videos. The first, at Hooge, just sounds to me like the echoing recording of the voice of another visitor elsewhere in the chapel. The second I think could be any number of things - it looks to me like the reflection of the sun from someone's watch or similar. The third sounds to me like your own breathing as you stand up straight; I certainly can't discern any clear words in it.

All in all I think you can breathe a sign of relief! I really don't think you've been the victim of any ghostly goings-on here.

I am amongst those who have experienced an unaccountable sense of oppression and stillness just within the fringe of Mametz Wood, recounted in the Strange Occurences thread. I have been into the wood twice since then, most recently at dusk last Wednesday evening, a less than welcoming evening after some fierce gales in the Somme - I only ventured a few yards in, at two points, one beside the cemetery, once opposite the memorial, just to see if there was a photograph to be taken. The trees were creaking and grinding against each other, bringing easily to mind the line from Jones's beautiful prose poem "Beneath this July noblesse she is mindful of December wood, when the trees beat against each other because of Him". On neither this, nor the previous occasion, did I experience any sense of unease comparable to that first visit over a decade ago.

imitty,

I watched your videos. The first, at Hooge, just sounds to me like the echoing recording of the voice of another visitor elsewhere in the chapel. The second I think could be any number of things - it looks to me like the reflection of the sun from someone's watch or similar. The third sounds to me like your own breathing as you stand up straight; I certainly can't discern any clear words in it.

All in all I think you can breathe a sign of relief! I really don't think you've been the victim of any ghostly goings-on here.

Ghosts, no. A demon presence, yes. But no ghosts.

Connor - it could be demons, I suppose. Or it could that these are accidental recordings of perfectly normal sounds made unintelligible by their abrupt endings, and a reflection of the sort that surely everyone has seen countless times in their life.

I think my explanation is the more likely of the two. But who knows.

I agree with Brummell on this one. You have explained it exactly as I would have. I have several bits of similar video taken accidentally after taking photographs. I just thought that I had inadvertently pressed something. Although in the circumstances I can see that you might be freaked, I really don't think there is anything supernatural about the video AND I am a believer in that sort of thing. I do have an open mind, but honestly don't think this episode should trouble you.

Hazel

Connor - it could be demons, I suppose. Or it could that these are accidental recordings of perfectly normal sounds made unintelligible by their abrupt endings, and a reflection of the sort that surely everyone has seen countless times in their life.

I think my explanation is the more likely of the two. But who knows.

i'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest the explanation is probably the latter….

Thanks for all your thoughts

I can certainly see that the circumstances would make it a bit hairy for you.

Hazel