Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme ghost stories / Pals happenings ??

BULLDOGFOGG

Does anyone know of a collection of strange happenings during visits to the Somme ? Ive had an experience myself at Ulster Tower but im not bold enough to share it yet :huh: However i just wonder if anyone has had the same experience as myself ?? Im visiting again next week and im going back to the very spot where it happened.

Kev

Kev

Mark my words. It'll be but a matter of minutes before someone's telling you about their spooky experiences at Mametz Wood. It's always Mametz Wood. But not me.

John

Took the words right out of me mouth, John. Mametz Wood, eh. Mine wasn't Mametz Wood either.

Kev, what d'you mean by 'a collection of strange happenings'? A book or website or other published source? And do you mean spooky or just, well, strange?

Gwyn

Marina, ill share my story when ive revisited Ulster Tower and Connaught......

Gwyn, yes a collection of stories, book or website etc

Nice photos !!!!

Kev

That is an amazing photo.

Kate

Ive had an experience myself at Ulster Tower but im not bold enough to share it yet  :huh: However i just wonder if anyone has had the same experience as myself ?? 

It didn't happen to be a clairaudient experience by any chance did it? :ph34r: (not actually at the tower but very close by).

Never personally sensed anything at Mametz Wood (always found it to be quite the opposite of many people's stories to be honest), but, on the Somme, have also had (what I suppose could be described as) an "experience" in Authuille Wood and also on the road towards Lonsdale Cemetery from Authuille.

Other places where I've had a sense of something "odd" are at Kemmel Hill, "Wood 40" (though not since the death of Andre Becquart's son for some reason!), near Zivy Crater , Cumieres and in the picnic site at the foot of Cote 304.

Dave.

Dave,

I was once in Wood 40 one late afternoon 9 years ago. Nothing happened, but I had suddenly a strong urge to leave the place. It wasn't a spooky place particularly, but I just had to leave. So I did.

Ian

If you look at my profile you will understand what happens for me regularly but this year I had my first eyes on experience while at ypres, a visit from one of the boys.

also I have a picture which was painted many years ago looking toward Thiepval and the artist had some strange feelings there too.

The boys do like to come home and if you want some advice about how to work with them or feel good about them then please pm me.

Mandy

Hi Folks,

There was a thread on the Forum a while ago called, 'Strange Occurances on the Western Front, Personal stories of the supernatural kind.'

It was started on Dec 18 2002 but people have added to it since. I posted in April this year about an experience I had at Bernafay Wood. It is an interesting topic.

It was in chit-chat.

Best Regards,

Donna :unsure:

My experience 3 times in Mametz Wood was similar to Ian Turner - just couldn't stay in there as an oppressive sort of feeling built up. Of course, on occasions 2 & 3, I may have been simply replicating experience 1. So it's distinctly unscientific. However, I would hesitate to go in again.

Sorry to state this and risk upsetting JH who posted earlier in the thread. :)

In Holland we had a book published on this subject in 1999, called 'Mysterie 14/18' (Mystery 14-18)

Mametz Wood has 4 pages...

Eerie...

While not bent on the para-normal, I just recalled a story by William Orpen, a British Official War Artist, while painting near Thiepval during the war:

In his own Words, " I was all alone... I felt strange. I cannot say even now what I felt. Afraid? Of what? The sun shone fiercely... So I went and sat on the trunk of a blown-up tree close by, when suddenly I was thrown on the back of my head on the ground. My heavy easel was upset, and one of the skulls went through the canvas"

Admittedly, same book also mentions that Orpen got to drink heavily on order to "swallow" what he saw in the Western Front (the dead soldiers, the ravaged landscape, etc...), and this experience somewhat sounds like a emotional breakdown, though also mentions that Orpen reported a similar experience by fellow painter Henri Joffroi the following day (source: "William Orpen, Politics, Sex and Death" by Robert Upstone plus other contributors)

Good night. Sleep tight.

Gloria

I went to the Orpen exhibition at the IWM recently - a very great painter but a strange man. Wandering the deserted battlefields so soon after the battles would be enough to upet the balance of anyone's mind but especially a mind so sensitised to the power of images - but then who can say what he experienced there ?