Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorials in Germany

egbert

Just been looking at the other thread entitled Menen German Military Cemetery and again wonderful photos from Cnock & Hans.

Kate

I have emailed the Duesseldorf Cemetery Administration Dept. Hope they can help to find NOK.

Unfortunately I received a negative response from the authorities: the Duesseldorf family grave was flattened in 1986. The cemetery offices have done their best in 1986 in order to trace any relatives / NOK in order to keep the grave active. It was not possible to trace any relatives through country court or registry office. After flattening of the grave they said they displayed the memorial upon its historical value. so the memorial is not part of a grave nowadays.

By that, Lt Ibach is (almost) forgotten!

Only here in the GWF forum he received a temporary flashback.

Please say a last farewell to Lt Ibach who -after this thread is forgotten -will disappear back to history in perpetuity

R.I.P.

Not so fast old friend ! If we're able to find a little more info on him and his unit, and if you allow me to use the photo on p1, I would like to add him in my book on the WW I cemetaries in West-Flanders.

That way he'll be one of the men remembered in the book.

I would be delighted: please use the photo as needed. I can give you more information about the location of the photo etc off site

I am reminded of my recent trip to Shilo where the burials are marked and both sides interred on the field of battle... perhaps we get used to it because of this - at least for the Confederate War ... but I, too, laud Egbert on his photos and thoughts

It is good to hear that Lt. Ibach may be inluded in Johan's book.

I have been trying to keep information, found by members of this forum, about soldiers who are not part of the unit I am researching and am now saving them into a separate folder.

It's an ongoing concern for me because the names & details slip my mind and it seems worse for them to be forgotten twice.

Kate

Egbert, thank you very much, a PM is already on the way !

Kate, it is indeed worse to be forgotten twice. Unfortunately it is not possible to write something about all these men, but at least I hope to be able to make certain that some of them will be remembered.

I focussed on airmen, navy personnel, tank personnel and special or rather unknown units.

Best from Johan

• 2 months later...
It is a pity that the next of kin probably do not know his whereabout and always thought of a missing son with no known grave. The parents are most likely dead as well after so many years. If somebody from here could post a picture of Menen cemetery Lt Ibach grave- that would be very nice.....

It's quite possible lt. Ibachs parents very well knew he had a grave. But going to Kemmel from ?? in Germany was an enormous trip in those days. Not to be compared with how easy&fast we travel nowadays. And therefore they might have decided to erect their own gravestone, in remembrance of their son.

• 2 months later...

I uploaded these last year, but seems appropriate again now with all these memorials even tho not Germany

Oberau Austria

John

post-409-1166395952.jpg

• 1 month later...

About 600 meters next to my house is a small village, which probably consisted of some 10 houses or less during WW1. All the years I passed the village memorial w/o giving a thought - until today:

post-80-1169486892.jpg

post-80-1169486946.jpg

post-80-1169486972.jpg

• 1 year later...

Just came back with pictures from the "Memorial to the German Army", located in the Feste Ehrenbreitstein, Koblenz

post-80-1219412467.jpg