Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorials in Germany

egbert

20meters to the right another war memorial section different style and with individual graves. Beautifully cared for.

post-80-0-47476900-1345299315_thumb.jpg

Nice one. Just nearby I know this one in Forbach/Schwarzwald.

Fritz, I just took this picture today from Forbach memorial , also Valley of the Murg, Black Forest.

Sieht so aus als wenn die Briten kein Interesse an Deutschen Denkmälern haben-oder?

post-80-0-65024300-1345302811_thumb.jpg

...post-80-0-93244700-1345302922_thumb.jpg

Sieht so aus als wenn die Briten kein Interesse an Deutschen Denkmälern haben-oder?

Na ja, so ein Ehrenmal ist schon eine sehr persönliche Angelegenheit! - Dabei fällt mir eins ein in einem unserer Nachbardörfer. Ein sehr nahegehendes Denkmal. Ich fahre demnächst mal vorbei und stelle es hier ein ...

Gruß

Fritz

Egbert,

I had to resort to Google Translate but........

Some of us (me at least) have been smitten by your pictures on this thread. The architecture and settings are incredible.

Are these type of memorials peculiar to this particular area, or was it common practise throughout Germany to commemorate the fallen in this way?

Phil

Phil, as Fritz has indicated in his last post, it is absolute common in each and every German city, town and small village. Memorials are not isolated to certain areas, they are everywhere, and -thanks for your interest, much appreciated!

This is a great thread.

We Brits are often accused of only being interested in the British areas, Ypres and the Somme, yet threads like this (and that on French war memorials) remind us all of the sufferings of all combatants.

Thank you.

Bruce

Thank you Egbert and Fritz.

For a while now I have been looking into the German battlefield cemeteries in Belgium around Houthulst etc. From the postcards I have come across and looking at the layouts on maps, it would appear that much care and attention was put into them. I was therefore particularly intersted to see your pictures (and seperate thread) of the memorial to Reserve Feldartillerie Regiment 52 as there were cemeteries specifically dedicated to RIR 238 and RIR 240 in the area South of Langemarck, both being in the same Division as RFR 52.

Phil

Dabei fällt mir eins ein in einem unserer Nachbardörfer. Ein sehr nahegehendes Denkmal. Ich fahre demnächst mal vorbei und stelle es hier ein ...

Here it is. The memorial of Wedelheine /Gifhorn/Niedersachsen erected on the local cemetery. One of numerous memorials but I like this sculpture. Sponsored by well situated farmers of this small village in the countryside. All this home memorials were just possible through donations.

Fritz

post-12337-0-48535500-1346341229_thumb.j

post-12337-0-99069000-1346341251_thumb.j

Other relatives decided to bring back the body of their fallen sons home to give them a burial in native earth. An example ist the grave of an teenaged officer of IR 163, Leutnant Werner John. This pic is taken on Invalidenfriedhof in Berlin.

post-12337-0-80151200-1346778329_thumb.j

Not quite in Germany but a memorial to fallen Germans none the less I came across this when walking down from the Berliner Hütte in Zillertal, Austria. It is a memorial to members of the Deutsche Alpenverein from Berlin who fell in the Great War. I found the large sculpture interesting as it almost reads like one found post 2nd World War in Germany but is from 1921. Could be one of the highest German memorials in Europe at over 2200m

post-28845-0-37583500-1346787059_thumb.j

post-28845-0-30513700-1346787101_thumb.j

post-28845-0-88325100-1346787153_thumb.j

Sorry for the slight diversion outside Germany., but not one many people see unless they combine the 2 interests I have!

Jim

@ Jim this is not a diversion at all as the soldiers commemorated on the plaque are all from Berlin (-section of Deutscher und Österreichischer Alpenverein)

@ Fritz. Your last memory stone fits into the same category than that of my very first post here in this thread -see Leutnant Ibach

Jim's truncated photo commemorates victims of 'Krieg, Gewalt und Verfolgung', which is an awful lot more than simply remembrance of the fallen of 1914-18.

Another reason for the repatriationof bodies was the political order of the government. So it was in the case of Hermann Löns, a famous poet, who died in 1914 as a volunteer in the Hanoverian Füsilierregiment 73. He was revered as a hero and finally buried in the plains of Lüneburg.

post-12337-0-02154500-1346855800_thumb.j

Jim's truncated photo commemorates victims of 'Krieg, Gewalt und Verfolgung', which is an awful lot more than simply remembrance of the fallen of 1914-18.

Sorry the rest was in deep shadow. That is why I was reminded more of the reactions after the last world war. Maybe it was influenced by the group involved. At that time, something like the DAV was quite an elite organisation and will have been dominated by intellectuals and the more well off who had begun the boom in alpine sports. Look at the number of doctor tiles you can see on the tablet remembering the fallen. Perhaps they thought more widely than just the fallen when reflecting upon the Great War.

Jim