Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Killing Field

Desmond7

A pair of scans of a detailed survey of the trenches, dugouts and tunnels of the Thiepval - St Pierre Divion area conducted by British sappers in Jan 1917 and annotated on a base map dated 20 Oct 16.

post-6447-1119469413.jpg

post-6447-1119469438.jpg

Jack this is very convincing stuff! First of all from all of us who are so much interested in Schwaben Redoubt - thank you so very much for this more than exhaustive explanation and presentation of your studies!

I believe the subject matter of Feste Schwaben within this thread is of such importance and interest that I ask one of the honorable mods to remove these particular Schwaben related posts (starting with Des'collage) and create an own "Schwaben Redoubt" thread, also for the sake of archiving.

P.S. I get crazy because I do not remember in which GE book I read about the underground stuff - that obviously did never exist

Congratualtions and thanks to all who have posted such stimulating material on this post!

I've seen the underground 'artists impressions' in the past too ...

I'm not being 'wise after the event' but I had been dubious about their accuracy.

Everything I've read about the fightin and around the Schwaben on 1st July simply describes common or garden trench fighting. Lots of guys throwing bombs down dug outs etc ... but pretty much par for the course.

Egbert - re your suggestion - what about a thread for different interest points.

I.E. Killing Field - Beaumont Hamel; Killing Field - Serre .. etc etc across the battlefield?

Egbert - re your suggestion - what about a thread for different interest points.

I.E. Killing Field - Beaumont Hamel; Killing Field - Serre .. etc etc across the battlefield?

Des,

Such a destinction would be very effective for visibility, more individual contribution and later archiving; second that

• 2 weeks later...

Latest .. wish I had a better pic of Lemon!

post-1582-1120313590.jpg

Dear Folks - I would like to continue this theme into other divisional sectors.

My problem is, I am unsure of the aerial orientation for the next 'chosen zone' .. that of 29th Division.

Thanks to Croon .. I have the trench map; I have a good plan of attack from mcCarthy and some easy to follow accounts.

What I do not have is an aerial pic which I can use as a base. There are three pics taken from the air of Beaumont Hamel on the WFA site ... can someone indicate which would be the most suitable for similar treatment? If at all.

Des

• 5 years later...

Wonderful thread resurrected..one for Paul Reed please. Is the German OP bunker above Ancre cemetery still there...just love the concrete and have not yet seen this lump!

TT

Hi it is still there, Clive and I found it in March, just on the side of the path as you come down from Y Ravine to Ancre Cemetery.

Tony

Cheers Tony!

Guess where I shall be walking on my next trip!

And you think you know the Somme well after 20 years of walking it!

TT

Sadly, I lost a lot of the images in my original posts during one of the great computer crashes which plague us all.

Des. Great thread.

I've tried to do one of those google overlay efforts. I don't have the skill and know how to get it right but I think this gives an idea of things.

Using a section from one of Dave's (Croonaert Research Services) trench maps, I've stuck an overlay in the Thiepval area.

You can see how Mill Road Cemetery & The Ulster Tower are located on or very close to the first red line. Mill Road close to A15. Tower near A18

post-33142-028925000 1278706210.jpg

These are such informative posts. i too was always under the impression that the redoubt contained a myriad of tunnels that stretched down to St Pierre-Divion but guess i am wrong. i think this belief came from middlebrook and a diagram by David Kelsall in a couple of battleground europe guides.

• 4 years later...
QUOTE (Desmond7 @ Jun 19 2005, 12:44 PM)
I'd like to do a similar for Ulster Tower/Thiepval Wood/Schwaben sector.

Sadly no trench map in the files ... anyone able to post one up for roughly July 1 1916 period?

Des.

From my Paths of Glory website where you'll find the whole Somme frontline of 1/7/16 from above Fonquevillers (Monchy au Bois) down to Becourt covered in 1:20,000 scale trenchmap format...

Dave.

I'm trying to trace the last footsteps of my great great grandfather, Private John Melia of the 2nd Battalion, who died on the 3rd July 1916. The battalion war diary provides the coordinates R31 a and b as the position of the attack (attached) on this date. Does this reliably correspond to the map provided by Dave earlier in this thread?

Thanks for your help.

Greg

post-118398-0-29726700-1416780948_thumb.