Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Driving in France

healdav

please where do I buy one to supplement my FLOOD WARDEN one as it would be unconvincing in a drought. I drew the line at over £6 on the Ferry, who's PA system continues to say they are mandatory!

At the moment, it is NOT the law in France and Belgium, and to be honest the contiued debate here is only causing confusion.

Hello Paul

You may be right in saying that the continued discussion is causing confusion but I have to say that whether it is the law to carry a reflective jacket in the car or not, it has to be common sense to do so.

Andy

This is a fascinating discussion. :D

May I add that it is of course a good idea to carry a hi-vis jacket regardless of whatever Euroland law has been decreed from our friends in Brussels........but do not let the wearing of one give a false sense of security, ie 'as long as I wear my hi-vis yellow jacket I can hang around on the hard shoulder and be perfectly safe'. Jacket or no jacket if you break down get away from the car and off the motorway asap.

After that piece of public spirited information I'll get my coat; hi-vis of course...

I bought a nice one for approx £5 inc postage on Ebay. Rather more expensive in Halfords etc. I agree that they are a good item to have but that motorway hard shoulders should be avoided if poss.

A lorry driving pal of mine stopped to secure his load and had just moved from the rear of his lorry when a car driven by a poor chap having a heart attack ploughed into it at considerable speed.

The message seems to be to get one of these jackets ,whether they are mandatory or not , to avoid all the angst and confusion - and the inevitable eventual missing of the thread telling us it has become mandatory and the resulting spot fine !

• 2 months later...

I will be adding a couple of hi-vis vests - it is common sense after all. Three or four years ago I had my car broken into whilst visiting Caberet Rouge Cemetary. Various things were stolen and on visiting the local Police station to report the matter they did not want to know. They checked everything on the car and documents - all was in order. They had great difficulty in understanding English (I do not speak French). It was only when I told them that I was a retired policeman that they were of assistance, one of the officers even called his son in who could speak English to interperate. Prior to this I had the distinct idea that if they had found anything wrong with the car or documents they would have piled on the grief or am I being cynical? It pays to adhere to their laws. :)