Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Driving in France

healdav

So sorry - thought it might be useful information for those planning a holiday to Spain this summer. Didn't realise that forum users only went to France  ;)

Quite right Mark- I'm going to Holland :P ( or the Netherlands, as it's also known)

As an American some of this is very concerning, especially from a legal perspective. Are cops actually stopping people who have not committed a crime inorder to search their cars? It sounds like a drunk driving checkpoint, but even those have a "public safety" purpose. I know stuff like this happens everyday here, but it seems as if the French police are being given carte blanche.

I do not know who said it, but is the person with the politie jacket Dutch? Because I have one too. When I was in college I studied the justice system in England and The Netherlands. We were doing ride alongs with the Dutch police near Rotterdam or Haarlem I do not remember which. Anyway, when the day was done we had made friends with the cops and went out for drinks after. They liked us so much that at the end of our trip they gave us all Dutch politie jackets. It is just sitting in my closet now, but it used to be one of my favorites. If you are not Dutch then just ignore this part.

I am rarely stopped by the French Gendarmerie, but it does happen.

They sometimes have roadblocks just to check driving licences and car documents and the like (they usually ask for the lot). Sometimes its to breathalyse people (I was once stopped for this at about 4 p.m. on a Saturday).

You should also be aware that if you do pay an on the spot fine in France your case will be reviewed by a magistrate and they can 'up' the penalty. Then you will be wanted criminal until you pay the extra! Only they don't try to find you. The first you will know is if they do an ID check and find you in the system. Then you have to pay, yes, on the spot.

I even have a neighbour who discovered that he had been banned from driving in France after the ban had finished. He had been driving there for months.

On parking, etc. fines there is a system now in place betwqeen France, Germany, Belgium and Luxembourg for local collection of fines in any of these countries. Britain is so far refusing to join in this, but once it dawns on them that this means they can collect money from foreigners who get tickets in Britain, they will no doubt join in.

Frankly, its about time this entire area was sorted out. At the moment for example, if you are banned from driving for life in France you can drive in any other country or if banned in Britain with a British licence you can get a French licence and drive in Britain with impunity. Bizarre, but when the rules were drawn up few people went out of their own country. If TB gets a chased for a parking fine in Tuscany, no doubt he will take an interest.

Guest Simon Bull
As an American some of this is very concerning, especially from a legal perspective.  Are cops actually stopping people who have not committed a crime inorder to search their cars?  It sounds like a drunk driving checkpoint, but even those have a "public safety" purpose.  I know stuff like this happens everyday here, but it seems as if the French police are being given carte blanche.

I do not know who said it, but is the person with the politie jacket Dutch?  Because I have one too.  When I was in college I studied the justice system in England and The Netherlands.  We were doing ride alongs with the Dutch police near Rotterdam or Haarlem I do not remember which.  Anyway, when the day was done we had made friends with the cops and went out for drinks after.  They liked us so much that at the end of our trip they gave us all Dutch politie jackets.  It is just sitting in my closet now, but it used to be one of my favorites.  If you are not Dutch then just ignore this part.

Afraid this thing all too common here and I think there is no reason to believe it does not happen in France.

Last year I was stopped for no reason by British police and abused and threatened. [Not just my view - my account upheld by Police Complaints Commission] and I suspect the French police would be no better or worse.

Yet more examples of the state pushing the frontiers of freedom to see how much we will put up with. If we swallow it, well just wait and see, some "reasonable" politician will put another infringement of our ancient liberties forward. And we will still get those who will come out with the same tired old rubbish.... "Well, If you've got nothing to hide , you've got nothing to fear..."

Reckon I'm wrong? Trial by jury & presumption of innocence will be gone in 5 years in the UK.

Ooops! Hope I'm not getting too "political".

if banned in Britain with a British licence you can get a French licence and drive in Britain with impunity.

Actually, no. The disqualification applies to you personally, irrespective of whether you hold a licence of any kind.

Driving whilst disqualified is an arrestable offence in Britain, so if they catch you expect to get hauled off to the nick.

Yet more examples of the state pushing the frontiers of freedom to see how much we will put up with. If we swallow it, well just wait and see, some "reasonable" politician will put another infringement of our ancient liberties forward. And we will still get those who will come out with the same tired old rubbish.... "Well, If you've got nothing to hide , you've got nothing to fear..."

Reckon I'm wrong? Trial by jury & presumption of innocence will be gone in 5 years in the UK.

Ooops! Hope I'm not getting too "political".

Political?

Well I expect if you got stopped for doing 31mph in a 30mph zone you would call it persecution, whereas in fact I think you would be a criminal.

Unless you obey 100% of the laws 100% of the time, folks, just stop wingeing.

Guest Simon Bull
Political?

Well I expect if you got stopped for doing 31mph in a 30mph zone you would call it persecution, whereas in fact I think you would be a criminal.

Unless you obey 100% of the laws 100% of the time, folks, just stop wingeing.

Angie

I don't follow your logic - jury trial etc is there to protect the innocent by giving them a fair trail. I do not see that the fact that one may have committed offences on other occasions should in any way deprive one of the right to due process when accused of another offence. Are you saying that somone who has been guilty of, say, speeding, has not got the right to complain if denied a fair trial when accused of murder?

Furthermore, in circumstances like those I faced, even if I had committed an offence (which I stress very strongly I had not, having been stopped for totally bogus reason when I was not in any way breaking the law - again accepted by the Police Complaints Authority as the unquestionable truth) does that give the police the unfettered right to abuse and threaten me, just because I might have committed a relatively minor transgression?

One, arguably, may not be able to complain about the penalty if one has committed an offence, but that does not seem to me to deprive one of the right to be dealt with fairly and legally in accordance with internationally recognised norms. Any other way lies anarchy and/or a police state.

Surely, such rights to fair trial and freedom from oppression are exactly why the two World Wars were fought?

In Germany you are required to have the vest, so I bought one and threw it in the car. 

You can get one at the Ferry terminal area for something like 2 quid--it's not a bad thing to have in the car anyway. 

If you're bored you can alway put it on, grab a clipboard, walk around the neghboorhood and scare people by telling them you're thinking of building an M road through their garden.

Paul

Hello Paul,

Are you quite sure? I live in Germany and didn't know although, I wouldn't be surprised if nothing or very little was publicy mentioned.

Tony

I would like to know if the COPS put their tabards on when they get out at a Stop-the-Brit.

I think I must take my 'Flood Warden' one; the 'Village Litter Picker' [whoops! 'Tidier'] one is a bit downmarket.

Oh yes: do we pack one in our bag, or are these obligatory garments now provided with every French hire car? Cynic.

Attached is taken from the advice section Canvas Holidays web page http://www.canvas.co.uk/general-info/general-info.asp

It would appear AA web page is not up to date!

Driving in France, Germany, Italy & Spain – please note that in France, Germany, Spain and Italy, the law requires you to carry a high visibility jacket or waistcoat in your car at all times. These must be worn if leaving a vehicle on the carriageway of a motorway or non-urban highway, anytime, day or night.

As has been pointed out, the French Highway Code site specifically says that they are not needed. The site was last updated on 19 May 2005

Angie

I don't follow your logic - jury trial etc is there to protect the innocent by giving them a fair trail. 

Read the thread. It was not about this.

And I for one do not want to have to wade through a load of rubbish about how hard done by the poor old motorist is and how ubnfair it is when they get caught for breaking the law. Lets stick to factual info.

The fact is that nobody seems to have the **** of an idea of whether a high visibility garment is a French legal requirement or not.

Sorry Paul: yes, I have followed this one: but there is NOT agreement; if the rules say one thing and the practice is different, there is a problem, surely? Or are we saying that the stops and fines either did not exist, or were illegal? I have no problem with the jacket or indeed any other sensible rule, but I do detect there is not consensus here on the practical situation on the ground.

No problem David, but as also stated above by Aurel, and shown on a number of French internet sites/forums, the examples of people being 'fined' transpired to be fraudlant with people acting as police officers.

Totally perplexed here.

Buy or steal the frigging thing. Stick it somewhere in the car. It takes up less space than a map. Forget about it. Problem over.

So much fuss.....

Gwyn

Quite concur with Gwyn here. I have bought a jacket on ebay for 3 quid and will keep it in the car permanently and it will go over with me on 1st July, together with all the original documents, extinguisher, triangle, first aid kit, d.licence etc. All very sensible items to have with you.

I will tell any police impersonators where to go - until they get their guns out , then I will pay up !

French police and gendarmerie on traffic patrols now usually wear fluorescent jackets as a part of their uniform - and this has from what I have seen, only been the case for the last couple of months.

In any sort of poor visibility they all seem to put on fluorescent overjackets of one sort or another when out of their car. This has been the case for a long time now.

New member here with question on this topic: I am visiting from the States in last week of July and renting a car with AutoEurope. Do rental cars come provided with all the necessary equipment (extra lights, triangle, etc?) In the US, none of this is required and I am a little concerned about getting stopped whilst on the road. Thanks.

Also, in general, I have been reading the various threads in this forum and am very impressed with the knowledge and friendliness of the members. Sure to have many more questions before my trip!

Rick