Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Driving in France

healdav

I am a little concerned about getting stopped whilst on the road. Thanks.

Don't be too concerned. Driving a French registered car within the speed limit and following the signs, your chances of being stopped are not high.

For us Brits breaking the speed limits in order to get back to Calais in time to catch our ferry, we tend to ask for it and then get annoyed when they catch us. You see, to us Brits every other driver on the roads is a menace, but not me! I can do no wrong is the motto.

• 3 weeks later...

I am just back from Austria. My Auto Europe hire car was equipped with a high-vis. tabard. Obviously required in Austria.

Loads of German cars had them, and some Dutch, prominently visible.

Spoke to the RAC and Halfords yesterday. Both say the vests are not compulsory but highly recommended.

In any case I see no reason to disbelieve Paul who is, after all, 'amongst the natives' (so to speak).

Even so, I'm a wuss and purchased one anyway!

Perhaps we could get a batch of them printed with something which will stand out in a crowd.

I suggest "Norfolk Mountain Rescue Team".

Hi Folks

Just seen this thread for the first time today. I will not dwell on the rights & wronngs of the rules, but do feel there should be harmonisation throughout all 25 nations that form the EU (or whatever it is called nowadays), & also that foreign drivers in cars registered in their own country should not be penalised for not carrying equipment that is not required by their laws. For instance, the UK insists on MoT Tests, but doesn't insist that all foreign vehicles have one before driving on their roads, but I digress...................

I do actually have one of these items in my car it says "Civil Defence" , but i suppose that will cause confusion if I were to wear it.

Cheers

Mark

Imagine the chaos if you really did have to onnly obety the rules you follow at home.

All those cars driving on the left in France and right in Britain for a start.

Harmonisation would be lovely (I said so a good while back) but people from some countries (one begins with B) wwould start screaming about sovereignty and foreigners telling them what to do and.......

You try living on a frontier and rules changing evey ten kilometres.

"But how do you persuage those other 25 countries to adopt our laws?"

Precisely. Especially when there are 25 'our'.

Harmonisation would be lovely (I said so a good while back) but people from some countries (one begins with B) wwould start screaming about sovereignty and foreigners telling them what to do and.......

I thought Belgians were quite tolerant.

Unless....no....surely you don't mean us? :ph34r:

heaven forbid that I should accuse the British of, well, anything really except sweetness and light.

I have just discovered that as from 1 May 2005 every vehicle being driven in France has to have a fluorescent vest IN THE CAR. If it is in the boot this is unacceptable.

The vest is for use in case of breakdowns and must be put on before you get out of the car.

The penalty for not having a vest in the car is 280 euros fine!!!!!

The Gendarmerie turned up at a hypermarket on the border near here last weekend and simply stopped every car leaving the car park. They must have collected enough cash to pay the national debt.

I had no idea about his until a colleague sent me a mail about it yesterday. Publicity has been zero as far as I know.

You have been warned. Apparently you now need the same in Italy and Germany although once again the publicity has been zero.

We'll soon need a trailer to carry all the stuff that is obligatory.

Whoa - only found out about this when I got back! On Sunday!

The AA Website still states,the only countries having compulsion regarding reflective jacket/waistcoat as a driving requirement are:

Austria

Spain

Portugal

Italty

Wearing compulsory if driver and/or passenger(s) exits vehicle immobilised on carriageway- in Italy at night or on carriageway, in Spain on all motorways and main or busy roads.

In Austria and Portugal,police not authorised to actually collect fines,which must be paid in accordance with notice instructions.In Italy,police will collect a quarter of the maximum fine amount from drivers of foreign registered vehicles.

On the other hand an individual country's motoring organisation might recommend the use of a reflective jacket/waistcoat.

• 2 weeks later...

Got this from Google

Visibility Vests are now compulsory in Italy, Austria and Spain (and likely to become compulsory throughout the EU) if you need to walk on a motorway. In Spain we've been told you need a vest for every potential occupant of the car, and that they must be carried inside the car, rather than in the boot. Other sources have said you don't have to carry one, but if you breakdown on the motorway you will be breaking the law if you walk to an emergency phone without one. We're trying to clarify the position.

Or West Bromwich Lifeboat Crew

What about "The Cheddar Gorge Underground Hang gliding club"?

Margaret

:ph34r:

What about "The Cheddar Gorge Underground Hang gliding club"?

Margaret

:ph34r:

Not far from where I live, but we hadn't been there for years. The other week, we decided to drive over for the afternoon and go for a walk. But you couldn't park anywhere near the caves without buying an inclusive parking and cave ticket. Our cheapest option was something like £14 for two. All we wanted was a stroll and a cup of tea.

What a ripoff! :angry:

Did we buy it? Did we .... !

• 1 month later...

There was a story in out local paper yesterday saying that reflective jackets will be compulsoy in Luxembourg from 2007 or late 2006.

Also, and something I didn't know. Apparently in those countries where they are compulsory now there is one fine for not having one or more in the car and a MUCH BIGGER fine for not wearing one if you are stopped on a motorway.

The transport minister here was talking about around 40€ for not having one (depending on the country) and up to 200€ for not wearing one (plus maybe a fine for not having one either).

I have three in the car. Two cost under 4€ in my local supermarket and the third was a free gift in a shop.

This will definitely be compulsory in France in the near future.

It's what the minister of transport here said.

What near future means I don't know. But 4€ is a good way of avoiding heaven knows what - and common sense anyway.

By 'here' I presume Luxembourg? While I agree that is possible this may well become part of French law one day (whenever that may be) I do not think it wise to imply a stated fact on the basis that a minister in a foreign country has stated what the policy of another country may be.

At the moment, it is NOT the law in France and Belgium, and to be honest the contiued debate here is only causing confusion.

Hi

I agree with Paul, I keep getting confused as to what to do when next in France! Now Paul - a resident- has made the law quite clear, I am no longer concerned and may only get a jacket as it seems like a good idea.

My biggerst concern is getting done for speeding on those fantastic open roads, but that is another issue.

tony

When in France:

1. Buy a jacket. It costs nothing and will be useful elsewhere, anyway.

2. Don't do over 145 kph. That is the limit of tolerance.

I doubt that the minister in Luxembourg would be making it up. Given that I can see the country from my office window and tens of thousands go each way every day (my wife pops over to the local markets and I get a haircut in Thionville, and that's just for a start), everyone here keeps in pretty close touch with changes to traffic law.