Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

guardsman or private

bernardmcilwaine

• 4 weeks later...

Just to bring this one up again, visited my dad's cousin's grave at Lapugnoy last week, he was 1st Genadier Guards.

On his headstone his rank is private. On his MIC his rank is private.

On the medal rolls, for BWM & VM dated 15/5/20 it is Guardsman, on the 14-15 Star roll dated 1/9/19 it is also Guardsman.

Not sure if this adds anything to the debate but there you are.

I had two uncles who together served in the 1st Battlalion Monmouthshire Regiment.The older one was ranked as a Rifleman,the younger ranked as a Private.

The latter was also a Guardsman before my Grandmother pulled him out for being underage.He was determined to get in and went in with the Territorials again underage.

• 1 month later...

Hello

I thought a "trained soldier" in the Guards was a private who "helped" the recruits during training?

Ian

This:- "1918  InNovember the title “Guardsman” was introduced to replace that of “Private” in the Brigade of Guards."

gives the impression that it`s merely a change of name with no difference in rank. I had the impression that he`d be a private until he passed out of training and became a trained soldier. Phil B

there are some interesting answers on the topic, and when its finally solved it will bring up another additional poser,if a pte/guardsman was killed/died between 1914-18 what do you inscribe on his stone/mem,its not important,its just one of those things that are interesting to chat about,bernard

My gt. gt. uncles headstone has guardsman inscribed as his rank, he died in 1916.

dave

My dad's cousin dow October 1915 has Guardsman on his headstone.

Forgot to mention, apart from his attestation papers,on his other papers he is described as Guardsman.