Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Robert Ernest Vernede - Novelist/Poet

stiletto_33853

27th March, 1916.

Heard last night that my leave starts on the 29th, which means that I shall be back some time on the 30th. I don't go into the trenches in between, so there should be no question about this - except for the ordinary intervention of Providence.

I get seven clear days in England apparently.

Andy

Sunday, 9th April, 1916.

Here I am back again where I told you, and things seem to have gone fairly well, though two of D Coy. officers seem to have managed to get slightly injured in the time. I got back rather brilliantly, really. Neither of the others turned up, and the crossing was excellent, as I wrote in my card from Boulogne, where later I saw the Sussex just below me with the whole of her stern blown off. Didn't leave till 7.30 p.m., and arrived at my first possible station about 12, but only woke up to find the train about to move out, so got out at the next one, which anyway was nearer. Pitch dark and no knowledge from anybody as to where the Batt. was, and another youth of the brigade abd I got the R.T.O. Cpl. to find us beds, which he did in a cottage opposite - quite good bed and breakfast at 8 a.m., and pay "ce que vous voulez," after which we got on to a hay waggon, meandered along the road till I meet a Transport Corporal, who told me where the Batt. was, and took my pack for me.

Got in about 10 a.m., and was able to laugh at the other two old soldiers who had not applied at the War Office, had started the day before, and had wndered about all night trying to find the Batt., which is at present out of the trenches in support. It's a beautiful sunny day, and if it weren't for the noise of guns would be a very nice day for trotting about.

Monday: Couldn't get finished for the post, which went off soon after I arrived. Another beautiful morning. I have a hut to myself. My little blighters mostly seem to be flourishing. We don't go into actual trenches for several days, but having working parties - nothing like so bad though as t'other place. The wood is beginning to look green in parts and the sun shines. The land is wonderfully tilled - more forward than ours - the women, I suppose, doing most of the work.

Andy

12th April, 1916. The Trenches (In Reserve)

It's just slopping down on the the hut tent arrangement in which I set in a wood, and the damp is very considerable. So, however, is the peacefulness, which is a most pleasant change from the part of the line we used to be in. You'd hardly realise here that you were in the firing zone, except for an occasional noise of the guns, and at the end of a few days we go back into camp again. I've never had such a quiet working party as I conducted the night before last - two shells a couple of hundred yards away and that was all. I dare say it was a good thing to start in a really bad bit; and I don't think I exaggereated it as a new comer, for ____ was saying yesterday that even last winter - the first winter - didn't compare with it from the point of view of unpleasantness, even allowing for the much longer time they used to spend in the trenches.

I don't think there is much news - we haven't really done anything and I expect we shan't.

Horticulture has begun among the troops, and consists chiefly of digging up violets and cowslips and sticking them in the roofs of their dug-outs, together with a suitable inscrioption and a few boughs of palm or something siniliar. I'm not quite sure that I'm able to admire it, but it serves to amuse them, I suppose, if it does nothing else.

Andy

13th April, 1916.

Got your first letter last night. The sun is shining at intervals this morning, though I'm afriad it's going to rain again. Nothing at all to tell you since yesterday. D. has gone off to his staff job and T. and I are alone in the wood, M. occupying a post elsewhere, C. having been lent teporarily to another Coy.

Now I must censor some platoon letters and then go and see some work the men are doing. It is most peaceful here and I hope will remain so. Don't go properly into the trenches until the end of next week.

Andy

Just read the posts again - how odd that he goes wandering the road until a corporal tells him where his unit is. And the others too, trying to find their place. Surreal, but inevitable if they had been away, I suppose.

Marina

14th April, 1916.

I had another peaceful working party last night, tho' further along the line I'm afraid one of our Coys. got it rather. Raining again, bust it.

Andy

15th April, 1916.

The working parties seem most peaceful do far, and quite pleasant nights.

Andy

18th April, 1916.

We have got back to rest camp, arriving last night; but it doesn't amount to much - the same working parties and a good deal further to go. The Boches have been rather more active with our trenches too, bust them, but it can't be helped. Also I get the job nightly, being the only subaltern left in the Coy. at present. Our casualties heven't been many though. One of our officers had a very lucky wound yesterday - shrapnel burst right over him in the trench and he was only hit twice in the hand - once right through the palm, the other knocking a finger nearly off. That really is lucky, and he went off very pleased with himself.

Must finish this quick as there's much work in the rest camp.

Andy

20th April, 1916.

To-day is bright and windy and, I think, threatening snow. I never saw auch a pays. It poured all last night - hail and hurricane. Luckily I had nothing to do either by day or night, and played bridge after dinner.

I cannot quite chuck my cold - it's no worse, but remains muddy, and this morning I distictly feel a slight sensation of what might be lumbago. Comes from sleeping in draughty floors in this yowling weather, I suppose. Very slight and nothing to worry about.

I'll try and give you a plan of day's doings next time, if there are any doings. But really and truly they are very dull. People roll into your hut and roll out again. I got up late for breakfast - censored letters and read a short story book by O. Henry, who is really very good - had lunch and a bath in the afternoon - hot shower bath in a dirty little hut - more reading - dinner - bridge. A lazy and luxurious day.

Andy

Good Friday, 26th April, 1916.

Yesterday I wrote you a fairly long and, I expect, a fiarly dull letter, at the end of which my back became so lumbagoey that I had to call in the Medicine Man, who rubbed me with something and put on a mustard plaster, and this morning it's a good deal better, though not quite gone. It makes one feel about 95 - to be put on in two pieces at an angle of 45 deg. I suppose it's these beestje winds and lying on a draughtty floor. T. and I dined together - it being B.'s turn to take the working party, luckily, as I could not have done it. Then I got into bed with my hot water bottle (used for the first time, and very pleasant) and read "The Woman in White" till about 11, when I slept. This morning it is fine, but cold and windy, and I think detestable. I fancy we go up on Easter Sunday, by which time I should be all right again. I haven't "gone sick" once yet, and don't want to; I prefer to leave it to the babes and not have it attributed to my venerable years ! Which it isn't, as, at no age, did cold and mud agree with me.

Andy

So there you go all you lumbago sufferer's, try a mustard plaster :huh:

Andy

Eater Sunday, 1916.

It's fine after about three days' incessant rain,and my back is distinctly better, tho' somewhat weakly in parts still. Also the cold is better to-day. Some warm weather would probably make them both vanish. I've really hardly been out of this hut since the first day, as my back was not conducive to walking about, nor was the rain; and so my news really and truly is limited. D. and C. bith returned yesterday; so now we shall have our full complement of officers in C Coy. - six, in fact.

A lieut. named Butler came to dinner - quite an amusing man - I believe he's a fellow of St. John's Oxford, but didn't cross-examine him - one of the clever family of Butlers. He intelligently talked a lot of nonsense.

Bother, I've been interrupted, and now there isn't much time to write before post goes. I know there were several things I wanted to tell you, but can't recall them.

Andy

Easter Monday, 1916.

Just a line from the Tranchees, which are exceedingly damp - but, so far, very quiet. By the time you get this I shall in all probability be out again, as I have been selected as the next victim for the Technical School, which, I think, I told you about. This means being away for a fortnight, roughly, learning how to form fours, etc. The C.O. almost apologised for sending me, and said if I find it too impossible, would I let him know; but he thought it might amuse me. I said if it was to be regarded merely as copy, perhaps it might. So there we are, and the only consolation is that you needn't worry for a fortnight. Back nearly well - cold much better. It's not a special insult being sent to this place - an officer has to go about monthly from the Batt.; it's merely fatuous, and you're liable to be poundeed on if you've seen the doctor. I am too sleepy to write, having only had two-and-a-half hours last night.

Andy

OK,

Time for another Battalion record to keep in touch about where Robert was and the Battalion side of Robert's story. Last one covered to the 9th March.

On the 21st we were relieved by the 2nd Bn. Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, under the command of Lieutenant - Colonel H.C. Butler who was at one time Adjutant of our Battalion. We moved again on the 23rd and proceeded by march route of Godewaersvelde. The march was enlivened by the pipers of the Canadian Light Infantry who proceeded the Battalion and marched all the way with us to Godewaervelde, where they gave a really first class concert on the 26th. On the 29th, we again were on the move, and proceeded to Bulford Camp, near Messines, where we relieved the 7th Bn. Canadian Regiment in the trenches on the 30th.

On 5th April we were relieved by the 8th Bn. Buffs and went into Brigade Reserve, at La Grande Munque farm. On proceeding to the trenches again on the 11th we suffered a good deal from shelling, and on the 16th, Battalion Headquarters were "shelled out" and we took over Battalion Headquarters on Hill 63. On this occasion, we were lucky to escape with only three men wounded.

On the 18th we moved into Divisional Reserve. On taking over trenches on the 23rd we had two companies in support of Hill 63. This hill was heavily shelled on the 26th when we had ten men wounded.

Andy

26th April, 1916.

Rode over to this place yesterday from the trenches. Lovely day to-day but am so sleepy from the trenches and having a day of exercise that I'm hardly awake enough to write coherently. Back practically cured, and cold very near it. I have a room in a farmhouse (rather like our larder) : the other fourteen officers in tents. I think it will be fairly amusing and good for me, perhaps, because I snan't be able to think I'm more incompetent than the subalterns of other Regiments - judging from those present. Will write more to-morrow. Here for a fortnight - far from the strafe.

Andy

OK,

Time for another Battalion record to keep in touch about where Robert was and the Battalion side of Robert's story. Last one covered to the 9th March.

Andy

These reports do add to understanding. And how doffernt they are in tone - the official objectivity of the report, and the personal experience of the man. Very timely, Andy,

Marina

Marina,

I think the battalion service record gives an insight and tells us where he was. Mind you the service record I have, to date, given is the very shortened version found in the Chronicles. If I typed the actual Regimental version of events I would be typing forever and a day. :o

27th April, 1916.

Still nice weather, but almost too sleepy for words - and early rising and many parades; that's all my news really and truly. There's a rum collection of temporary officers here - some very pleasant. I don't think there's anything they teach one that I don't know about - which fact I'm rather glad to know, as never having been to one of these places, I thought I might be even more iggerant than I am. I sleep very peacefully in my farm bed, and we take our meals in a hut together. The rest of it is rather like Dothebys Hall - winder -W -I-N-D-E-R - go and clean the winders. We are a rum people.

I feel quite youthful, however, as there are several gray-headed officers at the school. I can't write to you - am very well - it's just slipsiness. I rather fancy our trenches were strafed a bit yesterday, but haven't heard the details.

Andy

28th April, 1916.

Still nice weather. We are working very hard all day, doing all military lore in a fortnight in the most muddle-headed way.

Andy