Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Robert Ernest Vernede - Novelist/Poet

stiletto_33853

Sunday, 21st November.

We haven't been posted yet. Last night was bitly cold; we shaved in our one tin between 5 and 8am. Roll call at 10, after which F., H., A., and I went for a walk to a place called Flecie, while we lunched in the Inn by a nice hot stove, and were swindled into paying four francs for it by a stout oold Frenchwoman without shame. Never in her life, I should say, had she two francs before such a dejuener, and these things are not calculated to make a lasting entente. The village where we lunched was filled with a Canadian ammunition column run by a Major from Montreal with whom we chatted. He and his officers were billeted at the chateau belonging to Count some-body and seemed very pleased with themselves - nice men.

Still very fit and go about in my fur all day. F. wears nothing and looks like an icicle. Apparently there is no chance of arranging our battalion, so if F. and I get together it will be pure luck. We would like H. and A. as well.

This is written in part of the hut where the men are singing, one small end being reserved for officers, of whom there are now hundreds here - why, nobody knows. The tent is a grisly squash, and I have not washed yet, to speak of. I made tea there about an hour ago in my canteen, which seems to go well. Several Epsomites here.

Andy

Sunday, 21st November.

while we lunched in the Inn by a nice hot stove, and were swindled into paying four francs for it by a stout old Frenchwoman without shame. Never in her life, I should say, had she two francs before such a dejuener, and these things are not calculated to make a lasting entente.

Shameless old woman! How vividly he sketches people! Not an entente cordiale, I take it.

The doffernces in attitude in the service and regular battalions comes across in some of Robert's letters. I don't know much about the Army, but I noticed the same thing in 'McCrae's Battalion.' Inevitable, I suppose.

Marina

Marina,

Inevitable as you say in some respects, however most of the service battalions were commanded by regular officers. In the case of Villiers-Stuart he was quite scathing of the regular battalions, this from a regular officer. In particular he made comparisons of how many men were lost in regular battalions entering and leaving the trenches whereas he boasts of losing only one man this way.

Andy

Monday, 22nd November, 1915.

We have just returned from a lecture on sandbags, not bad, by a Major, who this morning took us in Battalion Drill of the pre Zulu days and then told off most of the officers on parade (all the Rifle Brigade, except F.) for not appearing in Sam Brownes. How to win this war ?? We are a rum folk.

The routine at this place seems to remain the same - parade in the morning, lecture in the afternoon. Most of the officers, we are told, were to be posted today, but only a few to the front, which leaves things as vague as ever. Meanwhile we are not given rations and have to feed ourselves at the rate of about nine francs a day. However, I was warm last night, in spite of a fairly hard frost, which looks well for the future. We all hope we shall get away from here, as it is pigging it without any necessity. I mean to get a bath to-night if it's possible. The worst of the place is the nowhere to sit and general overcrowding. It's either this (YMCA hut) or a cafe, which latter costs money. Frdk. is reading Henry James on a stiff chair in very bad light. I am going to find a bath.

Andy

23rd November, 1915.

It's begun to be misty moisty (5.30pm) and we have just heard that _____ and ______ are posted to another Bn. and go off at 3.30am to-morrow morning, and the ret of us are likely to go at much the same time elsewhere. That, however, may be the usual rumour, and I will keep this till last mo. and then write on envelope or somewhere probable address, and you must write quick to me.

I am afraid that F. and I won't get together, but you never know.

24th am Am appointed and go off to-night. Of course F. and H. are in the 2nd. Never mind.

Andy

Marina,

In particular he made comparisons of how many men were lost in regular battalions entering and leaving the trenches whereas he boasts of losing only one man this way.

Andy

Any idea why losses should be so bad in the regulars and not the service battalions? Admittedly I don't know much about them, but if I'd been asked to say which would lose more men, I'd have guessed the opposite of what Villiers-Stewart reports.

Perhaps it was the pre-Zulu war drill Roberet refers to so dryly!

Marina

Marina,

Villiers-Stuart claims that the regulars tended to march out of the line and through the shell barrages that sometimes ensued, and were to tradition bound to do otherwise. Whereas his claim was that the 9th and other service battalions used to go to and from the trenches by indirect routes. I will dig the piece out when the book is to hand.

24th November, 1915.

We had such a night - officers being shouted for and going off at all hours; rain at intervals coming into the tent; F. and H. departing at 2.30am; ourselves at 5.30, as far as the railway siding, when it was discovered gradually that the train would not be in till 8 o'clock. So we went off and routed till we roused a cafe there to give us breakfast. Since then we have travelled through various places for about six hours, finally being turned out here to change trains at 4pm. We have therefore had lunch and shaved in the kitchen of the cafe Vasseur - quite a friendly Inn, where I write. We don't know whether we shall arrive at the Bn. and the trenches to-night or not.

Just off to train - must finish later.

9pm - Have arrived - been posted to C Coy. and had dinner. But first of all Ive got what you think will be good news, I expect, which is that the Bn. is out of the trenches altogether for a month, taking a rest, so that for that period you need not worry yourself one little bit. Personally, I think I shall find resting in the Army out here rather a nuisance.

There are about seven officers to the Coy., and we are billetted together in a farm house, moderatejy dirty, in a village which I have not yet seen as we only walked in in the dark; but there is much mud.

25th - We changed our billetts this morning and are now in a village four miles away from the other - four in a room in a picturesque enough farm house, with its pond and farmyard in the middle, the house and out buildings built round it in a quadrangle. The men are in the out buildings, in straw, not at all uncomfortable, I should say. We sleep on the floor in empty rooms. I would rather have gone into the trenches, as here, again, one has the outsider's feeling, the others having all done it except oneself.

Andy

Still 25th November, 1915.

There is nothing doing to-day, and one of us is "in billetts" while the rest are out, and that happens to be me, so I may as well chat, though I don't think there is much to tell here. Apparently the time here is going to be very much the same as at Minster, and except that I have to censor my platoon (No 12's) letters, I don't expect to find it very amusing. Making a whole circle of entirely new acquaintances at this time does not add to the amenities of war, and not having got with F. still annoys. I expect I shall grouse for some little time but you must not mind that.

I haven't seen the village yet, but they say there s not a shop in it even to buy matches at. Kuckily I got rather a poor pipe lighter in Etaples with which practice will no doubt make perfect.

The mess food in the middle of these excellent French housewives is cooked aaparently by Army cooks - and resembles it. (Grouse)

I might possibly get time, but doubt it, to finishoff some poems.

26th - Very cheery today - nice and bright. People not bad. Send me some socks and a good towel when you can.

Andy

Marina,

Villiers-Stuart claims that the regulars tended to march out of the line and through the shell barrages that sometimes ensued, and were to tradition bound to do otherwise. Whereas his claim was that the 9th and other service battalions used to go to and from the trenches by indirect routes. I will dig the piece out when the book is to hand.

Possibly too hidebound to adapt to the new warfare at first? Horrible to think that what was once a strength becomes a weakness, if that's what happned.

Marina

28th November, 1915.

The time passes in a manner neither pleasant nor unpleasant, but simply of no particular interest to me, I suppose because one has no personal control of things, which never did suite me. It is freezing pretty hard, and I should think there would be skating if such things were to be done. Instead we spend our days (except Sunday, to-day, when there is nothing doing) as follows:-

6.30am Rise (Horrible)

7.30am Breakfast (Porridge and bacon and eggs dryly cooked)

8.30 - 9.30 Squad Drill

10 - 10.45 Parade with our platoons for musketry practice.

11 - 12 Sergeant - Major again

12.30 Lunch

After lunch we are supposed to supervise our platoons at some form of excercise, such as cross country running, foorball etc.

Football, if you please, is compulsory for the officers, so yesterday you might have seen me playing sokker for the first time in my life at the age of 40 with men who really play it quite well, and me not even knowing the rules. It's very asurd: however, being fairly nimble I don't think I made so considerable a fool of myself as I might have done, and anyhow, the day before I found I could easily outrun most, if not all, of my platoon, with the possible exception of the platoon sergeant - a nice man and a great athlete. Most of the elderly men (over 34) simply gave up and have to be coerced.

I suppose I am imagined to be about 28, and I think I shall not reveal the truth this time, as I don't fancy elderly subalterns are much appreciated. I imagine this battalion represents typical Regular Army, as far as you can get it now, and is, so far, more interesting than what one has seen, but I do think the whole thing is too undemocratic, and distinctions of rank demoralise human relations. I do hope Frdk. is not too much revolted by it and hasn't been forced to play sokker. I expect, however, that he is in the trenches, and I wish this Bn. had been.

This is all very stodgy, but that's what I become, you know, when I've got up too early in the morning and my soul isn't my own so to speak.

Andy

30th November, 1915.

The tiresome thing is that if you sit near the fire here you can't see to write; and if you sit away from it, you are frozen. Not that there is any news. I'm very much afraid that I shant get any verses done. If I had the proper concentration, I might, but there are seven people strewed about the room at most times, one lamp (without a shade) and N.C.O.@s popping in at intervals.

The men are all very grousy about their rest, and certainly I have not run about more since joining the Army - all the morning from 8.30 and a football match or run in the afternoon. I joined the riding school party this afternoon and galloped about quite happily bare-backed. Half of them can't ride at all.

I think for a youth this would all be great fun - though you mustn't think I'm having at all a bad time.

Andy

1st December, 1915.

I have just got my first letters from you. I can't answer them properly tonight. Everything is going on all right. These people are very pleasant and I dare say I shall even find some real friends.

Andy

3rd December, 1915.

The Deerskin waistcoat from L. has arrived and is fearfully nice. I put it on and then ran two miles, without stopping, with my platoon with that and the other one on - so got very hot. I have written to L.

I have just re-read your letters in my valise after a hot bath following the run. That sounds luxurious, doesn't it.

Don't bother to send papers. We get them regularly in the mess only a day late, and none too much time to read them.

I hear another Bn. has also come out of the trenches for a rest, so Frdk. is out of it too. We are pretty sure to be here for another fortnight at least.

I am just beginning to know my platoon. Have two very good sergeants. One of them beat me by a little in the two mile run to-day, but I had too many clothes on, and two miles is too short anyhow. Yesterday we took the Coy. for a route march to a town several miles off, where they could buy cigarettes and things - it's a great grievance that they can't get anything here. A lovely day. On the way back one of the other subalterns and I stopped at another village where we had to attend a lecture on gas attacks, so lunched therebefore the lecture - excellent lunch of five courses (at 2.30pm, after hours) served in about five minutes of our arrival. The French are good at that sort of thing. Then the lecture, which I retailed to my platoon this morning.

Very muggy and rainy today.

1. The Gas Lecture

2. Listened to the Musketry Lecture

3. Lecture on treatment of frost bite.

4. Two miles run with platoon.

All very practical, I think, but rather too much of it.

What shall I give my platoon for Christmas?

I think they have rather a thin time of extra's and accomodation; though well fed otherwise. Officers ought to fare like the men, I do believe, in spoite of the arguements against it. Here they can hardly wash, for instance; or do anything in comfort.

We are in a farm house - men all round in barns and cow-houses - the centre a lively, noisy manury farm yard with a pond in it and every variety of Turkey, Goose, Duck, Hen, Pig, Cow, Horse and Dog gobbling round. It is quite picturesque. The farmer very fat. I find myself quite fluent with my French, except occasionally.

Andy

L. in the letter is Miss Lily Player, a cousin.

Andy

5th December, 1915.

I don't seem able to get at the poems. To-day being Sunday, I thought I would, but have been hoicked out for revolver practice, making lists of drafts of men, and watching a football match, which C Coy., which is the best in the Bn., won easily. I haven't yet had much to do with my platoon, owing to these other parades, but shall try to chat with the men, whom I'm only beginning to know by name.

I enclose Frdk's. letter, from which you will see that he seems contented with his lot, which I'm glad of.

This is only a scrap late at night. Another route-march tomorrow, and, I believe, an inspection by French the next day.

Andy

9th December, 1915.

It has been disgustingly wet today and we spent it mostly in a barn much worse than ours, giving short lectures to the men on all sorts of things. I didn't give any, being in charge, but put on platoon sergeants, who start with great zeal and suddenly stop at the end of two minutes, having exhausted all their eloquence. I think practice in smoke helmets is what the men hate most; the things make you feel choked and sick for some minutes from the chemicals inside, and they would probably all much prefer to be gassed some weeks hence to wearing them now.

I sleep most comfortably in my valise. Would it interest you to know that it's rather the thing when one comes in at the end of the day to change into gum boots, which, with woolly soles inside, are most comfortable as evening dress? I'm in them now.

Yesterday at a football match a little man - a Rifleman - whom I didn't know from Adam, came up and told me he had been in the digging party at Warden with me, and has been out three months: we discussed old acquaintances, and he was most friendly, though I don't know his name now. I'm very bad at names.

It is far more interesting here than at Epsom or Minster. With all these people and methods the work gets done, and it is, for the time being, quite reasonably hard work and not too stupid.

Now I must close, hoping this finds you in the pink, as it leaves me. Have I told you that expression, which occurs in two out of three letters from the men?

Andy

Must be really annoying him that he can't get on with his poems. Still, I suppose if he did, we wouldn;t have the letters. I'[ve read about those smoke hoods before - dreadful things to qwear, although better than being gassed!

Marina

20th December, 1915.

Your lettersnearly always come in exactly at tea-time, which is right, as one can set and read them at once.

The last two days have been sloping. We fell in at 8.45 for a route march and inspection by General Plumer, and before we started were dripping by a regular thunderstorm. The we meandered about for three hours before finding the General by the side of the road, where we splashed past him, my job consisting in giving "Eyes Laft" at the critical moment, which I did without being prostrated by fright. But these smart inspections seem out of place in the middle of war. I think the whole brigade marched past, if not the whole division. In the afternoon watched a football match in several hailstorms. The R.B.'s ended by winning the divisional final, having beaten Londons, Buffs and Royal Fusiliers easily. We are going to have a cross country run on Thursday, and I'm afraid my platoon will not win, as it is rather a tail in the running line.

Today, being the Sabbath Day, I'm doing nothing, and don't propose to. Fine and Cold.

I continue to like my sergeants, but find it rather a bore and very absurd to have to lecture on subjects of which I know nothing and have no practical experience.

Andy

21st December, 1915.

Not very much time before post goes, and the reason is that I have become O.C. of C Coy. as well as mess president for at least eight days, as T. has gone on leave and I am the senior subaltern. Consequently you might have seen me on a horse this morning leading the Coy. on a Batt. route march, and I have work and interruptions by the hundred - most of it, of course, absolutely novel. I haven't the foggiest idea as to whether I have the unfortunate Riflemen (who appear before me on charges) shot or admonished, and in vain, while in England, I tried to get some one to tell me. However, I ought to learn something in the course of it and cannot do much harm, I imagine, in a rest camp; and if I get strafed, it really doesn't matter. Not my fault if I know nothing about it. Don't worry if I'm short in my letters, I really shall be rather busy.

Andy

Liked his description of saluting the general - didn't imagine for a minute he would be prostrate with fright! He is always so amused! This going back to the earlier letters is a good idea. - we can see how much he changed more clearly. When the last letter is finished, I'm going back to the beginning to read them all again and get the full momentum, if you see what i mean.

Marina

23rd December, 1915,

Just another line and a half in great haste. I really am rather bushed, for in addition to the ordinary things an O.C. has to do, I have the Christmas dinner to arrange for, and the point is that we must have 200 plates, tables, and dishes for 200 and, if possible, a piano. All these things ought to have been arranged for weeks ago to make sure of them, and were supposed to be, and now not two days at most to go, they are none of them forthcoming; and I send out parties in all directions to beg, borrow, or steal them in a place the size of Puckeridge or smaller.

Also I had to send off I. to inspect the trenches we go into in the New Year - for two days - and a servant who almost declined to go, as it's not much fun being in the mire and shot at for two days before Christams merely as a fatigue. Otherwise we are going all right - no thanks to me, as the thing runs very smoothly, and provided I assume an air which is unjustified, they seem to imagine that somebody really is in command.

Spent half an hour last night in vain trying to persuade the farmer and farmeress to lend us their crockery for the men - but not they. If I were fluent enough to be daring in French it might possibly have been done; but they are not very generous, I fancy.

Just as I had finished your Richoux sweets some more of them came from O.H. - much to the pleasure of the mess, which likes them.

I suppose I shall revert to subaltern and the ordinary course next week - meanwhile you won't mind short letters, will you?

Christmas Day is going to consist of a vast dinner for the men - ducks and pork and plum puddings, and oranges and beer, followed by a concert, all in a barn.

The R.B.'s have won every competition in the Division and so are highly pleased with themselves.

Andy

The O.H. in the last letter is Oscar Hamilton, M.D., of Northwood, an ols school and Oxford friend of Robert's.

Andy