Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Robert Ernest Vernede - Novelist/Poet

stiletto_33853

30th April, 1916. Still at School.

You have been minged in letters from this place, but the effect of being lectured all day is extremely soporific, and so is the weather, which continues very nice. The day before yesterday your parcel arrived. The cake I shall start at tea - it won't last long with twenty of us !

Now I'll tell you about yesterday as it was rather more newsful than the rest of the week. Started with a run, then lectures (the British Army ought to wear a bumble bee as a cap badge !) then lunch; then walked into the nearest town with the sub-co,,andant. A good looking man, very like a pirate-captain to look at. In the town we met two youths I mentioned as being pleasant, and had tea together in a tea shop at 2fr. each, if you please, for a very minging tea; then went to have our hairs cut, and with great difficulty found a little Belgian barber in a small side street, who undertook the job in a back sitting-room with a pair of shears such as tailors use to cut heavy cloth with. From there made for the only two baths we could find. Keeping two small zinc baths is a regular occupation in this sort of one horse town - they are planted down in the sort of shed the Standon barber shaves his clients in, with two women to fetch water in pails, and a queue of British soldiers waiting to plunge in at 1fr. 25 each. Not unprofitable either !

Then walked back - had dinner and went early to bed, hoping to sleep till about 10a.m. to-day. Instead the Boches chose to gas us. I'm rather pleased to have had a mild taste of it, as apparently gas attacks are to be expected all the summer when the wind is favourable. What happened was that at 12.45 midnight I heard a terrific bombardment open, followed by the gas alarm signals, in the distance, which is considerable. Being very sleepy and fairly sure that we were not gas-able here, I went to sleep again, hoping it was not the R.B.'s getting it. Twenty minutes later I woke to hear someone shouting "Get your gas helmets on at once" and to find my room full of gas, which was pouring into the window and not, of course, going out again. Bustled into helmet, which is very difficult to adjust properly to pyjamas, and heard the captain in the next room coughing and choking and calling for another helmet. Took him my reserve one just in time, I think. His servant was crouching on the floor in a great fright; and the pirate captain was cheerily dressed in the next room - all the doors opening in on the one room. Bustled out as soon as possible in pyjamas and aquascutum and stood about in the night air while the gas blew by. Of course it was exceedingly dissipated when it got here, but it okk twenty minutes to float by, and was quite unpleasant, especially in the house, and shows how vital these unpleasant helmets are.

I got quite a headache in the twenty minutes, besides breathing like a grampus. Found a farm hand wandering about without one, but the Commandant assured me that these Belgiums have all acquired them, mostly by theft from our men, and will risk going about in the gas without them just in order to get another one from some charitable person ! Nobody suffered here - except from want of sleep - as we stood to for hours after that, the men playing football from 3-5a.m.; a thing which I am sure would annoy the Boches if they could see it. We hear this morning that the attack was a failure - and mostly on our left - but apparently a good many people and cows have been gassed - including some in the next farm.

As I say, it's just as well to have tried it mildly like this, as it leaves one none the worse and considerably wiser. It was an extraordinarily bright idea of the Boches, and the first use of it must have been exceedingly ghastly for us.

Am very fitly now, and the only nuisance is that my eyes are still tiresome and the right one will see black spots at intervals.

Andy

3rd May, 1916.

We've a beautiful warm morning followed by a thunderstorm, which has made it cooler. I shan't mind how hot it keeps.

It's funny being up here - in sound of the guns and within reach of the gas - quite sefely and listening to lectures. The line of country through which the gas passed is rather curious - the clover blackened and killed as if by a hard frost - 75 per cent of the cows knocked out, and so on.

Some of the lectures, by experts, are interesting, and we had a most excellent first aid lecture - quite the best I've heard on that subject.

Andy

30th April, 1916. To his Mother

I'm afraid I've been a very bad correspondent since I returned from my leave, and don't think I've ever thanked for the very nice parcel you sent . But somehow coming back to this existence put me off letter-writing, and now I'm atschool some way behind the lines doing a sort of general course. The school being here, somebody has to be sent from each battalion in the Division every month, and it came to my turn this time. The weather is very nice, and, of course, it is healthier than the trenches: otherwise I think I prefer the latter, as I fear I never did like schools at any time, and find them as boring as ever in my old age. However, it's rather a different sort from most, and last night, or at 1a.m. this morning, we were gassed in bed, and had to struggle choking into those smoke helmets and hustle out in our pyjamas. The Germans certainly do have some nasty ideas.

I think there are some pretty hot times ahead, but don't get worried by newspaper reports or lack of letters.

Now I think I'd better draw to a close, with much love to my best of mothers and all the others. I think I'm beginning to agree with Dr Watts, that we were not made to bark and bite like dogs.

Andy

30th April, 1916.    To his Mother

I'm afraid I've been a very bad correspondent since I returned from my leave, and don't think I've ever thanked for the very nice parcel you sent . But somehow coming back to this existence put me off letter-writing, and now I'm atschool some way behind the lines doing a sort of general course. The school being here, somebody has to be sent from each battalion in the Division every month, and it came to my turn this time. The weather is very nice, and, of course, it is healthier than the trenches: otherwise I think I prefer the latter, as I fear I never did like schools at any time, and find them as boring as ever in my old age. However, it's rather a different sort from most, and last night, or at 1a.m. this morning, we were gassed in bed, and had to struggle choking into those smoke helmets and hustle out in our pyjamas. The Germans certainly do have some nasty ideas.

I think there are some pretty hot times ahead, but don't get worried by newspaper reports or lack of letters.

Now I think I'd better draw to a close, with much love to my best of mothers and all the others. I think I'm beginning to agree with Dr Watts, that we were not made to bark and bite like dogs.

Andy

the clover blackened and killed as if by a hard frost - 75 per cent of the cows knocked out, and so on.

In the midst of being appalled at the thoughts of the gas attack and the ramifications - I have to admit I had a bit of a giggle at the thoughts of 75% of cows laying on their backs in a field with their legs stuck up in the air!! :rolleyes:

That's not what he meant of course - just my warped sense of humour :P

Thanks Andy - I look to see if you have made a posting and then go get a cup of coffee and sit down to read! I appreciate you taking the time to share with us!!

Annie

4th May, 1916.

Am here for another week, and then I believe the Batt. is out for some time, so cushiness is ahead.

Andy

Saturday, 6th May, 1916.

I have put you off with minking scabs. It's still most beautiful weather, largely wasted sitting in a stuffy hut listening to balderdash. However, it is very nice and I hope it'll continue. C Coy. won't be in the trenches for at least ten days, I suppose, tho' there may be a working party or so to take up towards the middle of next week.

Andy

Sunday, 7th May, 1916.

The Irish business is rather sickening. It makes me disgusted to see the papers going on with their party politics over everything. Personally, I greatly doubt if any government of any sort is going to finish this war. The Army is going to do it by its intelligent giving of battle, and I wish there were more intelligence. Still, there's probably more than one thinks sometimes.

Andy

Forever the optimist

9th May, 1916.

Just a line to say I've arrived back at the Coy. in a wood - out of which we go almost at once into a still quieter place. Rode back from the school yesterday in a pouring rain at the end of my examination, which did not strain my brain excessively.

T. is on leave and D. just going. We don't seem to have had many casualties at all, and the Batt. did not get that gas which we did.

Andy

Well, that last letter brings us up to the 12th May 1916 where I first started posting Robert's letters so long ago. So as the saying goes "Thats All Folks" apart from a few pictures that I have to post of the house Robert and Caroline lived in. I hope that you have all enjoyed it, judging by the response that I have had I gather you all did.

I will miss posting the daily snippets from Robert's letters but am glad that it has brought Robert and Caroline's life to the attention of a new generation of people.

Andy

That time again - Goodbye to Robert. This has been a great experience. I know you have achieved your aim of 'reviving' Robert. Must have been murder typing up all those letters - but it was worth it.

Till the photos...

Marina

That time again - Goodbye to Robert.  This has been a great experience. I know you have achieved your aim of 'reviving' Robert.  Must have been murder typing up all those letters - but it was worth it.

Till the photos...

Marina

Thanks Andy - it's been wonderful!

.... tearful but wonderful!

Annie

Thanks Marina and Annie, Viavoice is a marvelous thing, not so much typing :D

Andy

Marina,

Its an IBM programme, you talk it types, can be a great boon sometimes.

Andy

:lol: I still live in the era of candles and matches!  I'll be damned - never imagined such a machine! 

Marina

You old fraud Andy Siletto ::) - here's us thinking you've worn your fingers to the bone - typing!!!!!

but I've been told Podcasts are terrific - maybe NEXT time ....... you could just talk it and we pick up the thread !!

I don't care how you did it - it was still wonderful! and I for one - enjoyed it very much !

Thank you for all your time and effort!!

Annie

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would add a little snippet I came across reading the Memorial Book to Andrew R. Buxton, same Battalion as Robert, hence very useful for cross referencing.

Andrew Buxton was killed on the 7/6/17

B.E.F. Billets

8 a.m., Wednesday 6/9/16.

We have had a lot more on since I properly wrote to you last, as the Battalion was up in or near the Front from Aug 31 to Sept 4, with alas, a lot more casualties. I was hardly with the Battalion, as I came back from the Dressing Station in the middle of it. I am very sad to say that both Vernede and Chamberlain, the only remaining officers of "C" Coy. were hit. Not dangerously in either case I hope. We now have a draft of three new officers of whom Northcroft (killed July 1917) is posted to "C".

It is a most tremendous blow losing Vernede and Chamberlain, as I valued both so extremely as Officers, and both such good fellows.

Everything continues more than full of interest, and at the moment the news seems excellent. We heard last night that the French were on the Bapaume-Peronne road, and that we were east of Ginchy Telegraph. Actual gain of ground may or may not be of value - this is all most satisfactory.

Andy

Hi Marina,

I was hoping to see some reference to Robert as Andrew served alongside him in the 3rd Battalion until Robert was injured.

As you say it was a good feeling to know that he was liked by his fellow officers both as an officer and as a man. Also it is a great reference to put alongside Robert's letters to get another angle on some of the things Robert mentions as Andrew was known as one who had a habit of minute observation and who took pains to record what he saw and experienced.

Although having said that, Andrew does not appear to have Robert's observations on the natural life around or some of Robert's wit that shows through.

Andy

I suppose the difference is that Robert was a skilled writer. His fluency and ability to 'pinpoint' in words characters and scenes is what makes him such a pleasure to read. But Andrew's meticulous observation is also a valuable resource. Wit and insight are a bonus!

Marina