Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Soldier Richard Leonard

porkpie

Hi everyone. I have not used this site for several years but need some help in identifying a soldier for a friend who has asked for help. I have a photo of the soldier but unfortunately, they have no other information on him. I have asked them for date and place of birth which I hope to receive by the weekend.

My observations so far are that Richard was a lance corporal, had a good service stripe, a T on his left upper sleeve which could be for Territorial (?) and a triangular cloth badge above it. There is also a blurry mark on his right lower sleeve which looks like 3 narrow stripes. My other observation is that he looks a mature soldier, probably about 30 years old, and has a smart moustache more in keeping with a regular soldier who joined up before 1914.

This is supported by having a good service stripe, being a lance corporal and a photo dating service which suggested it was taken in 1915. I am trying to find out whether there is any info on the photographers name and location.

Any help you can give me from the experts out there would be much appreciated.

Roger

RichardLeonard_ww1-Repaired-Enhanced-Color-Restored.jpg

• Admin

He’s wearing overseas service chevrons on his right cuff. See here for explanation. So the photo must be later than 1915 IMO. It’s a very short  shoulder title. RE maybe?

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/tips-for-interpreting-photographs-of-men-in-uniform/whats-that-on-his-sleeve-an-overseas-service-chevron/

thanks Michelle. I will follow up

Roger

• Admin

Roger,

As he is wearing a Lance Corporal stripe unless he was promoted further then records may well show his substantial rank as Private.

Can you also ask for any family info such as marriages / birth of children esp. during war years, date of death if known and address in 1911 census? All this will help narrow him down.

Good luck with the research.

David.

Yes ,the software dating is not very good and I was sure the photo was taken much later. The service chevrons look more believable now you have pointed them out. I couldn't get a good fix on the shoulder tab so, as you say, something short like RE is a possibility.

4 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Roger,

As he is wearing a Lance Corporal stripe unless he was promoted further then records may well show his substantial rank as Private.

Can you also ask for any family info such as marriages / birth of children esp. during war years, date of death if known and address in 1911 census? All this will help narrow him down.

Good luck with the research.

David.

Thanks Dave,

I have asked these questions so maybe they will give me more data to follow through.

wow Tunnelling and RE makes sense. Thanks

• Admin
3 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

Royal Engineers Tunnelling Company

In which case (images ©️ Ancestry.) Could this be your man? 

IMG_1098.jpeg

IMG_1099.jpeg

4 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

Royal Engineers Tunnelling Company

wow Tunnelling and RE makes sense. Thanks

• Admin

Hopefully someone will be able to search the London Gazette to see about the DCM. 

Thanks Michelle. I had found this Medal link but not had the RE link to connect up. The DSM is another surprise so I will follow up while waiting for more data from my friend.

A good spot by Jay.  The T arm badge became the instant badge of recognition for the RE Tunnellers. 

IMG_3871.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Another good spot by you Frogsmile. 

Thanks,

Roger

• Admin

Another great lead. I wonder if he was presented with his DSM on the battlefield and got a War Diary mention. I did find this happen once when researching a Welsh Regiment soldier.

• Admin

I had a brief skim through the 1915 one, didn’t get any further , but one man is recorded as having received the DCM in December 1915, so there’s a chance. 

8 minutes ago, porkpie said:

Another good spot by you Frogsmile. 

Thanks,

Roger

Jay picked it up first.  It’s interesting how the badge spread quickly and took a variety of forms.  There’s an interesting explanation of the badge adopted by Canadian tunnellers here: https://milart.blog/2017/12/04/t-is-for-tunneller/

IMG_3877.jpeg

IMG_3876.jpeg

I did the same Michelle but only for the period 1st Jan to 30th April and found nothing. I was about to go back to late 1915 so you've saved me the effort!1

Roger

thanks again. I will take a look. I remember going to Gibraltar some years ago and found that the Canadian Tunnellers in WW2 did most of the cliff excavation to hide British soldiers from view. They were said to be the top tunnellers.

4 minutes ago, porkpie said:

thanks again. I will take a look. I remember going to Gibraltar some years ago and found that the Canadian Tunnellers in WW2 did most of the cliff excavation to hide British soldiers from view. They were said to be the top tunnellers.

Yes the tunnellers activity was divided between all the Corps on the Western Front and included Canadians and ANZACs as well as the RE.  You might be interested in the books shown below.

IMG_3881.jpeg

IMG_3880.jpeg

thanks again. I took some interesting photos when exploring the tunnels. The cliff tunnels had an excellent photo gallery of soldiers plus equipment displays

• Admin

Just to note that the man mentioned above as 1511/137587 R G Leonard RE has the forename Robert as per his Medal Roll.

If the OP's subject was named Richard. then need to look for a different document.

Russ

Michelle,

Just checked out the December 1915 diary and it was a Sapper G. Willis who was awarded a DCM on 18th Dec so I think my man is more elusive to find. Will go back to Aug 1915 and trawl my way through.

• Admin

Men named Richard Leonard who served overseas in the RE are:

134290 Cpl

WR/284534 Pte (ex Essex Rgt)

WR/279546 Pte (ex Y & L Rgt)

I don't think a tunneller would have the prefix WR on his RE number, so I would plump for Cpl 134290 Richard Leonard out of the above 3 candidates.

Russ