Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Soldier Richard Leonard

porkpie

Thanks Russ for your cautionary comment about Robert rather than Richard Leonard. I will check name with his family. Your 3 options are worth looking at further

• Admin

My apologies for the red herrings, I completely mis read Richard, and searched for Robert. 

• Admin

RE numbering is a long way from being an exact science and and there are plenty of uncertainties etc.

Nevertheless, there is a reference claiming that RE numbers in the range 134217 and 137905 were allotted to men serving in 255 Tunnelling Company RE.

If 134290 Richard Leonard turns out to be correct, then the above information might offer a lead for further investigation.

Frustratingly, the War Diary for 255 Tunnelling Company RE only contains (probably relatively bland) weekly progress reports, so there is even less of a likelihood for any individual to be named.

Search results: tunnelling 255 | The National Archives

Regards

Russ

Hi Michelle and Russ.

The plot thickens as I've just had info from my friend who says that Richard was born close to the Monmouthshire/Gloucestershire border and was married in Monmouthshire in 1908 !! Richard of Monmouthshire was a Carpenter by trade in 1911 and returned to his roots after the war and became a Carpenter in Building Construction. I'm sure tunnellers employed carpenters for shuttering extensively, so this still fits with Russ's reg. no. 134290. but maybe he was with 255 Tunnellers not 171 as Russ suggests.

Circumstantial evidence still links Robert with the data because of his regimental link with Monmouthshire so this is very confusing. I need to explore the 255 Tunnellers !!

Both my grandfathers were Territorials in the RE so I have a large amount of information about the regiment having visited the regimental museum and while there, bought corps books and dvd's on the regiment. I will go back to my archives and check things out whilst checking out Russ's link to 255 Tunnellers. Richard 134290 was  not a Territorial but Robert was and maybe sorting that out will get me to the right soldier.

Many thanks for your guidance and help.

Roger