Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tunnelling DCM winners

Tunneller

I have just completed a project relating to DCM winners of the Tunnelling Companies.I have identified many of the individuals by their service numbers. I have no doubt missed a few, and there may be some soldiers attached to the RE from other units that I haven`t traced.

If anyone believes they know of DCM winners who were Tunnellers or were attached to the Tunnellers, I would be grateful for information to add to the work, or ofcourse I`d be happy to help anyone with queries.

I`m also looking for photos of DCM winners to add to the work if anyone can help.

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim,

Do you have any info on the men of the Monmouthshire Regiment who won the DCM during the mining of Hill 60 in 1915 whilst attached to 171st Tunnelling Company.

Many thanks

Martyn

Hi Jim,

Do you have any info on the men of the Monmouthshire Regiment who won the DCM during the mining of Hill 60 in 1915 whilst attached to 171st Tunnelling Company.

Many thanks

Martyn

Martyn,

These are thye details I have

J HOARE Pte 675 3rd Battalion Monmouthshire Regt

(Attached 171 Tunnelling Company)

LONDONGAZETTE 15 th SEPTEMBER 1915

For conspicuous coolness and resource under fire at Houplines on 9th August 1915. His section officer was severely wounded and buried in the ruins of a dug out, but Private Hoare rescued him under heavy shell fire and conveyed him to safety. He then rallied and took command of his section, posting them in a mine gallery. On several previous occasions he has shown coolness and capacity to take charge in trying situations.

R G LEONARD 2/Cpl 137587( formerly 1511 3rd Battalion Monmouthshire Regt)

LONDON GAZETTE 11th MARCH 1916

For conspicuous gallantry, he took charge of his section, the section Serjeant having been killed by a mine. His coolness and bravery were very marked.

I would be interested if you know of others from the Monmouths that i have missed.

Regards

Jim

Hello Jim.

Having read your posting. I checked a copy of the Barnsley Pals Book. The 13th & 14th Battalions York & Lancaster Regiment. You will be aware that the 13th & 14th Battalions were often engaged in tunnelling oprerations. On occasions joining the RE's.

I just wondered if any of these men may have been awarded a DCM.

Listed are details of 20 winners of the DCM, awarded whilst serving with either the 13th or 14th Batt. I have checked each soldiers details, but none are shown has been awarded a DCM whilst tunnelling or serving with the RE's.

Sorry to say that I can't find any photographs of these DCM award winners in the book.

Hi Jim,

Many thanks

Martyn

Martyn,

i also have this entry, although I don`t know what Tunn coy he was attached to

Jim

W MORGAN Pte 497 1st Battalion Monmouthshire Regt

(Attached Royal Engineers)

LONDON GAZETTE 15th SEPTEMBER 1915

For conspicuous good work near Ypres on the evening 12th July 1915, after the enemy had exploded a mine just short of our parapet. A gallery was driven out to protect the trench and the German mine was struck. It was found to contain a charge of about 1350lbs of explosive, some detonators and part of the main electric firing lead were withdrawn by the united efforts of three officers, Private Morgan and three men.

Hello Jim.

Having read your posting. I checked a copy of the Barnsley Pals Book. The 13th & 14th Battalions York & Lancaster Regiment. You will be aware that the 13th & 14th Battalions were often engaged in tunnelling oprerations. On occasions joining the RE's.

I just wondered if any of these men may have been awarded a DCM.

Listed are details of 20 winners of the DCM, awarded whilst serving with either the 13th or 14th Batt. I have checked each soldiers details, but none are shown has been awarded a DCM whilst tunnelling or serving with the RE's.

Sorry to say that I can't find any photographs of these DCM award winners in the book.

Sorry Rouben, I have no DCM winners in my work to those battalions

Jim

Hello Jim,

Do you have much on tunnellers at Gallipoli? In particular, men attached to the 8th Corps Mining Company which operated at Helles - it was formed out of the 29th Division Royal Engineers. I know of DCMs for two KOSB territorials - 516 Pte R Morton (LG 21.6.16) and 1046 L/Cpl M Parker (LG 16.11.15) - for acts of bravery during mining/tunnelling operations.

Stuart

Jim

Here's one you might have missed from the Monmouths:

"894 Sgt. T. Yates, 1/2nd Bn. (LG 3/6/15). For conspicuous gallantry, energy, & devotion to duty near Le Toquet from 18th December 1914 to 9th April 1915, when engaged in working underground (continually in water) preparing a mine, which was successfully exploded on the latter date. This work was very arduous, & most hazardous, as the possibility of the German counter-mine being exploded at any moment was ever present"

Nick

Jim,

Thanks for the info. I don't have any other men that you may have missed from the Monmouth's

Martyn

Hello Jim,

Do you have much on tunnellers at Gallipoli? In particular, men attached to the 8th Corps Mining Company which operated at Helles - it was formed out of the 29th Division Royal Engineers. I know of DCMs for two KOSB territorials - 516 Pte R Morton (LG 21.6.16) and 1046 L/Cpl M Parker (LG 16.11.15) - for acts of bravery during mining/tunnelling operations.

Stuart

Stuart ,

i have these for Gallipoli.

M PARKER L/Cpl 1046 1/5th Battalion Kings Own Scottish Borderers TF

LONDON GAZETTE 16th NOVEMBER 1915

For conspicuous gallantry on 14th September 1915 on the Gallipoli Peninsula. In the course of mining operations, the gallery in which Lance Corporal Parker was working broke through into one of the enemy`s galleries. By accurate fire he held off the Turks, who began firing and throwing bombs into our gallery, until he was driven back by fumes which extinguished all the lights. So soon as the air was cleared, he returned, and under heavy fire from the enemy, he plugged up the breach between the two galleries, and thus enabled the charge to be laid which destroyed the enemy`s galleries. His bravery and devotion to duty were very marked.

J McCARTNEY Cpl 1405 1/5 th Battalion Manchester Regt

LONDON GAZETTE 29th NOVEMBER 1915

For conspicuous gallantry on the 13th October 1915 , on the Gallipoli Peninsula. After the explosion of a Turkish mine, which wrecked our underground working, Corporal McCartney entered the partly destroyed working and, with the assistance of another man, dug a miner out alive. He then went to the surface for a fresh light and returned with another man, and the three of them carried the miner to safety. This was accomplished in an extremely poisonous atmosphere, due to the fumes of the exploded mine.

Jim

Jim

"894 Sgt. T. Yates, 1/2nd Bn. (LG 3/6/15). For conspicuous gallantry, energy, & devotion to duty near Le Toquet from 18th December 1914 to 9th April 1915, when engaged in working underground (continually in water) preparing a mine, which was successfully exploded on the latter date. This work was very arduous, & most hazardous, as the possibility of the German counter-mine being exploded at any moment was ever present"

Nick

Thanks Nick, excellent stuff. One to add. Sounds like he could have been one of the early Tunnellers who were attached Field Company RE. The Germans blew their first mines on 20th Decemeber 1914 under Indian Garwahl brigade in front of Neuve Chappelle.

Cheers

Jim

Jim

Nick

Thanks Nick, excellent stuff. One to add.

Sounds like he could have been one of the early Tunnellers who were attached Field Company RE. The Germans blew their first mines on 20th December 1914 under Indian Garwahl brigade in front of Neuve Chappelle.

Cheers

Jim

This is also a definite Gallipoli DCM, only not sure why it took till June 1916 for it to be published in the LG:

516 Pte. (Actg. L. /C.) R. Morton, 5th Bn., K. 0. Sco. Bord., T.F.

For conspicuous gallantry when rescuing an officer and N.C.O.

after the explosion of a mine under very dangerous conditions.

I don't have the newspaper report to hand, but I'm sure he brought three men up. However, one man could not be resuscitated.

Robert Morton and Matthew Parker were miners, from Kirkconnel and Sanquhar, Dumfriesshire, respectively. Both were pre-war territorials. Robert Morton was discharged time-expired in April 1916, while Matthew Parker was promoted to Sergeant and continued to serve with the battalion until he was killed in action at 2nd Gaza on 19th April 1917, age 25 years. He is commemorated on the Jerusalem Memorial.

Stuart

Sorry Rouben, I have no DCM winners in my work to those battalions

Jim

Hello Jim.

Thank you for getting back to me. It is apprciated.

Regards.

Brian.

Jim,

An incomplete 15 Star/BWM 'pair' to a DCM recipient once in my possession:

1914-15 Star and British War Medal (only), correctly impressed:

1914-15 Star:

PTE. G. W. H. WELLS.

E. SURR. R.

BWM:

821 CPL. G. W. H. WELLS. E. SURR. R.

George W. H. Wells first served as

821, Private, East Surrey Regiment

then as

79743, Private, later Corporal, 172nd Tunnelling Company, Royal Engineers

Resided Hendon, Middlesex

Arrived France 4 December 1914

Discharged to Class Z Army Reserve

Awarded DCM as 79743 Corporal, 172nd Tunnelling Company, Royal Engineers

Entitled to DCM / 15 Star / BWM / VM

Research sources:

Medal Index Card:

WELLS E. Surr. R. Pte 821

George W. H. R.E. 79743

VM RE/101 B/41 page 8646

BWM

15 ST RE/2c page 46

Trans Z AR

Theatre of War first served in (1) France

Date of entry therein 4.12.14

DCM Card:

No. 79743 Cpl

Corps 172 TUNN Coy RE

Name WELLS G.W.H.

Volume 3 JUN 19 E187

Page 6859

London Gazette, 3rd June 1919, page 6859

DCM announced

London Gazette, 11th March 1920

DCM Citation

79743 Cpl: G. W. H. Wells, 172nd Tunn.Coy., R.E. (Hendon)

For good work and devotion to duty displayed on many occasions since March, 1915, during the period at Kemmel, The Bluff and Vimy. Especially for good work done during November, 1918, in removing mines in the neighbourhood of Saultain and Sebouf.

War Diary, 95/244

172 Tunnelling Coy. R.E.

Second Army Troops, Feb 1915 - June 1919

172nd Tunnelling Company, Royal Engineers

First employed in the Bluff/St Eloi areas at Ypres. Focused on the Bluff when 175th Company extended its area to Hill 60 in July 1915.

Relieved 181st Company in Rue du Bois area in March 1916, but soon moved back to the Bluff.

Moved to Neuville St Vaast / Vimy in April 1916.

March 1918 saw the Company working on a new defensive line on the Somme, near Bray St Christophe. It fought as emergency infantry near Villecholles, and carried out a fighting retreat.

In April 1918, troops of the Company fought a large fire in Amiens.

Background Information

A decision was taken in February 1915 to form eight Tunnelling Companies, made of men drawn from the ranks, mixed with drafts of men specially recruited for this kind of work. Another 12 Companies were eventually formed in 1915, and one further one in 1916. All of these units were engaged on underground work including the digging of subways, cable trenches, saps, chambers (for such things as signals and medical services), as well as offensive or defensive mining.

Mark

Jim,

An incomplete 15 Star/BWM 'pair' to a DCM recipient once in my possession:

1914-15 Star and British War Medal (only), correctly impressed:

1914-15 Star:

PTE. G. W. H. WELLS.

E. SURR. R.

BWM:

821 CPL. G. W. H. WELLS. E. SURR. R.

George W. H. Wells first served as

821, Private, East Surrey Regiment

then as

79743, Private, later Corporal, 172nd Tunnelling Company, Royal Engineers

Resided Hendon, Middlesex

Arrived France 4 December 1914

Discharged to Class Z Army Reserve

Awarded DCM as 79743 Corporal, 172nd Tunnelling Company, Royal Engineers

Entitled to DCM / 15 Star / BWM / VM

Research sources:

Medal Index Card:

WELLS E. Surr. R. Pte 821

George W. H. R.E. 79743

VM RE/101 B/41 page 8646

BWM

15 ST RE/2c page 46

Trans Z AR

Theatre of War first served in (1) France

Date of entry therein 4.12.14

DCM Card:

No. 79743 Cpl

Corps 172 TUNN Coy RE

Name WELLS G.W.H.

Volume 3 JUN 19 E187

Page 6859

London Gazette, 3rd June 1919, page 6859

DCM announced

London Gazette, 11th March 1920

DCM Citation

79743 Cpl: G. W. H. Wells, 172nd Tunn.Coy., R.E. (Hendon)

For good work and devotion to duty displayed on many occasions since March, 1915, during the period at Kemmel, The Bluff and Vimy. Especially for good work done during November, 1918, in removing mines in the neighbourhood of Saultain and Sebouf.

War Diary, 95/244

172 Tunnelling Coy. R.E.

Second Army Troops, Feb 1915 - June 1919

172nd Tunnelling Company, Royal Engineers

First employed in the Bluff/St Eloi areas at Ypres. Focused on the Bluff when 175th Company extended its area to Hill 60 in July 1915.

Relieved 181st Company in Rue du Bois area in March 1916, but soon moved back to the Bluff.

Moved to Neuville St Vaast / Vimy in April 1916.

March 1918 saw the Company working on a new defensive line on the Somme, near Bray St Christophe. It fought as emergency infantry near Villecholles, and carried out a fighting retreat.

In April 1918, troops of the Company fought a large fire in Amiens.

Background Information

A decision was taken in February 1915 to form eight Tunnelling Companies, made of men drawn from the ranks, mixed with drafts of men specially recruited for this kind of work. Another 12 Companies were eventually formed in 1915, and one further one in 1916. All of these units were engaged on underground work including the digging of subways, cable trenches, saps, chambers (for such things as signals and medical services), as well as offensive or defensive mining.

Mark

Mark,

Many thanks for this. I do have GWH Wells in my research. A number of early DCMs to 172 Tunn Coy were from Infantry Regiments attached to the Company. A number from 137 Brigade and the 4th Middlesex. I have photos of the Staffs DCM winners attached to 172 Coy if you are interested.I beieve they returned to 137 Brigade after their attack at Loos 13/10/15.

Regards

Jim

Hi Jim

Are you after the Australian Tunnelling Companies also?

Regards

Andrew

Andrew,

I am not working on DCMs for the Australian Tunnellers but i wouyld be interested in any information on them you may have

Thanks

Jim

Jim

According to the 3rd Australian Tunnelling Company history manuscript the following men were awarded the DCM.

1364 Sgt MJM Kerby

1176 Cpl LA Street

1102 Cpl WA McKay

The above three were awarded DCM's for their actions on 18th/19th July 1916 at Fromelles

4485 Spr RG Thomas for his actions on 20th June 1917

&

1092 Spr W Moran for his actions in October 1918

Their recommendations can be read in the Honours & awards section of the Australian War Memorial Website.

Cheers

Andrew

Jim

According to the 3rd Australian Tunnelling Company history manuscript the following men were awarded the DCM.

1364 Sgt MJM Kerby

1176 Cpl LA Street

1102 Cpl WA McKay

The above three were awarded DCM's for their actions on 18th/19th July 1916 at Fromelles

4485 Spr RG Thomas for his actions on 20th June 1917

&

1092 Spr W Moran for his actions in October 1918

Their recommendations can be read in the Honours & awards section of the Australian War Memorial Website.

Cheers

Andrew

Thanks for that one Andrew. I`ll look them up

Regards

Jim

Jim

Some of these lads, might be of interest to you ( not sure of your remit re how the DCM was won ).

16254; Pte J.Kell; 7th Batt Somerset Light Infantry ( attached 181st Company Royal Enginners ) Gaz 16/11/15.

147480; Secound Cpl E.Brown; 252nd Company Royal Engineers; Gaz 15/4/16.

139417; Sapper J.Burns; 252nd Company Royal Enginners; Gaz 14/4/16.

7361; Pte G.Brown; 5th Battalion Royal Scottish Fusiliers;T.F.; ( attd 8th Corps Mining Company ) Gaz 21/6/16.

14463; L/Cpl G.J.Driver; 12th Field Company Royal Engineers; Gaz 30/6/15.

2882; L/Cpl E.Dalton; 3rd Battalion Coldstream Guards. Gaz 30/6/15.

137650; Cpl ( A/Sgt ) W.Smith; Royal Engineers. Gaz 17/4/18.

79432; Sapper J.W.Fox; 176th Company Royal Enginners. Gaz 9/10/15.

22944; Pte J.H.Richardson; 2nd Battalion Yorkshire Light Infantry. Gaz 9/10/15.

86177; Sgt J.Spence; Royal Enginneers. Gaz 21/10/18.

Regards Kevin

7361; Pte G.Brown; 5th Battalion Royal Scottish Fusiliers;T.F.; ( attd 8th Corps Mining Company ) Gaz 21/6/16.

Kevin,

Very interested to see this bit of information - from the citation it looks like he was involved in the same rescue as A/L/Cpl Morton that I mentioned in post #12.

7361 Pte. G. Brown, 5th Bn., R. Sc. Fus., T.F. (attd. 8th Corps, Mining Coy.).

For conspicuous gallantry when rescuing an officer and N.C.O.

after the explosion of a mine under very dangerous conditions.

Identical citations. Do you have any further information on this rescue or on Pte Brown?

edit: have checked the LG and there is another man listed in the same issue with the same citation:

8790 Pte. D. Gibson, 4th Bn., R. Sc. Fus., T.F. (attd. 8th Corps, Mining Coy.).

Different battalions, but all three men were 155th Bde., 52nd (Lowland) Division.

Stuart

Stuart

I have no other info at all regards these lads, just the citations, as i just trawled the 250 sheets that i have of the Gazette, that contain the info of the West Yorkshire Regiment DCM's, that i have an interest in.

Had nothing else to do at work the last day or so, so i thought i would just go through the paper, to look for anything for Jim.

Regards Kevin

Private J Kell of 7th Somersets attached 181st Coy Royal Engineers

"For conspicuous bravery on 2nd October 1915 near Laventie when he voluntarily assisted an officer in his attempts to rescue men from a mine full of poisonous gas, finally rescuing the officer himself single-handed when the latter collapsed. His devotion to duty was most marked" DCM

Also Lance Corporal Allsop 7th Somersets attached 181st Coy Royal Engineers

"entered a mine gallery which was in a highly dangerous condition, being full of gas introduced by the enemy, and rescued one of a party of men who had been rendered unconscious by fumes. L/Cpl Allsop has always been the first to volunteer for any dangerous underground work, although within the last month he has been severely shaken by a heavy hostile explosion and on another occassion 'gassed' by fumes." DCM

Pte Kell and Pte Baker (7th Bn) were both gassed on the same day according to the battalion diary.

Regards,

Brendon.

I have no other info at all regards these lads, just the citations,

Kevin,

Thank you anyway. The info you provided has added a bit more to the story and given me a couple of possible research leads.

Stuart

A big thanks to all who responded to this post. Thanks to you I have more DCM winners to add to my list.

All the replies and help are very much appreciated.

Jim

• 2 months later...

Hello Tunneler,

I have one for you that you may not know.

Sapper 79942 James McKay 173rd Tunnelling Company. (Formerly 7751 Gordon Highlanders).

He came from Whitletts in Ayrshire.

D.C.M. 09/10/15, he was wounded on 08/09/17 (newspaper date) and later discharged.

I am also aware of Sapper 132958 Robert Mackay 174th Tunneling Company (no award) who was wounded on 26/06/1916 and K.I.A. on 08/12/16.

He came from Johnstone in Renfrewshire.

These were very brave men working in horrendous conditions.

Regards Ken.