Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Hiscock ww1 ?

Price566673738

What would he have done over in Greece. Who did they fight the ottomans? Was it worse than he brother over on the western front in France 

2 minutes ago, Price566673738 said:

What would he have done over in Greece. Who did they fight the ottomans?

You will need to read something yourself about Salonica . They

https://www.iwm.org.uk/history/a-short-history-of-the-salonika-campaign

https://www.nam.ac.uk/explore/salonika-campaign

12 minutes ago, Price566673738 said:

What would he have done over in Greece. Who did they fight the ottomans? Was it worse than he brother over on the western front in France

My great Uncle served over there.  I’ve researched it a fair amount, especially some of the Welsh Infantry actions.  Sickness was a major issue.  Pretty much everyone got Malaria.  Does that ring a family bell?  fighting was more sporadic, infantry spent longer in the line than in France.   Fought the Bulgarians who were ably assisted by German units.  

Lots of reading and vids here:

https://salonikacampaignsociety.org.uk/

Andy

Edited by AndrewSid

His obit

jones5.jpg.333a9b31581dc1d98ffc18f0e4277611.jpg

3 minutes ago, corisande said:

His obit

Do we have the full obituary as there is a bit cut off.

3 minutes ago, corisande said:

His obit

Do we have the full obituary as there is a bit cut off.

Sorry to be a pain. I don't pay for findmypast. 

Is there any mention by name of a Susan or Charles Hiscock. My nan says she remembers them going up to his funeral 

jones.jpg.40808df9f4502bf65501c80b66dd30ce.jpg

Speculatively .... There was a Pte. William Henry HISCOCK, M2/201849, Army Service Corps/Royal Army Service Corps.

??? A possibility for Salonica ???

From WFA/Fold3 = Discharged 21-5-19 he applied for a disability pension for Malaria but was Rejected.  Unfortunately no address details

Awarded a BWM & VM, so in theatre after 31/12/1915.

Wondering if there is a 1918 and/or 1919 Absent Voters List(s) which might offer an address(es)

???

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

• Admin

You can get free two week trials for Ancestry , I assume FMP would do something similar. 

5 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

You can get free two week trials for Ancestry , I assume FMP would do something similar. 

I've already got ancestry so will look on there 

Just now, corisande said:

Oh well, thanks for looking.

M

This is the medal card? Of SWB 15660

Like you said earlier Class Z 8/5/1919 

I can see this man received the 1915 star? 

Does this give any clues?

(I got this from the national archives)Screenshot_20240324_231153_Microsoft365(Office).jpg.af6d77195e22c84fcd39d3b9daa49709.jpg

1 hour ago, Price566673738 said:

Does this give any clues

Im afraid not.

His service number shows 15660  joined in the first week of September 1914 and was an original member of the 7th Battalion formed a week later.  A large number of volunteers meant that the SWB could form three new Battalions quickly of which one was the 7th.  The men largely came from the recruits in the ever expanding Depot in Brecon.  Williams home in the Valleys was in the logical local catchment area id say.

As had been stated the 7th Bn went to France briefly before spending the rest of the war in Salonica. 

What we are missing is tying this man to an address or town to improve confidence its your relative. 

Andy

Blaina / Nantyglo seems to have been the family home area [based on his brother Charles' records]

Wondering if there is a 1918 and/or 1919 Absent Voters List(s) which might offer military details ???

M

Not sure where the. OP lives:

• Monmouthshire (Abertillery, Bedwellty, Ebbw Vale, Monmouth and Pontypool divisions) lists are held by Gwent Archives in Ebbw Vale

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/finding-soldiers-through-the-1918-absent-voters-lists/

Would be worth giving them a call or writing to them:

https://www.gwentarchives.gov.uk/

I have emailed them. Response expected within 10 working days 

On 25/03/2024 at 12:38, Price566673738 said:

I have emailed them. Response expected within 10 working days 

Your success will depend in part on the experience/interest of the member of staff.  Im sure you have but you need to think what address he would have used in absentia in 1918. Presumably his parents family home? do you know what electoral ward that was in 1918/19?  If a register does exist and is stored it may of course contain both brothers.  There is of course a risk William was already home and thus had no need to register.  

I have tried numerous searches in the Times and HMSO casualty lists and cannot find him.  Doesn’t mean he wasn’t wounded just that he is not in the incomplete lists available online.

Good luck with the enquiry.  

Edited by AndrewSid

From: https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/310003-charles-hiscock-south-lancs-ww1/page/2/#comment-3286462 

"William Hiscocks wedding certificate. (I know this is about Charles) it notes his address as 9 Bennett street Blaina but also Brynteg."

Copying across as relevant in this thread on William

M