Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charles Hiscock south lancs ww1

Price566673738

1 minute ago, Price566673738 said:

'm looking at the other records for him. His service number was 32787 while this other C Hiscock is 48228. Correct me if I'm wrong but surely a man wouldn't change service number ?

There was no such thing as a service number at that date [they only came in in the 1920s].

At that date there were regimental numbers and a man got a new number if he changed regiment.

M

11 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

His service number was 32787 while this other C Hiscock is 48228. Correct me if I'm wrong but surely a man wouldn't change service number ?

Perhaps this entry from the Medal Roll will explain as he went  from 2nd Welch to 2nd S Lancs and 11th S Lancs

charles.jpg.beda168434f53abb687a9f78ec4c0c09.jpg

So far as the two respective Regimental Numbers see the MIC and PIC above [The MoP were a bit sloppy in not listing the Welsh Regiment against 48228 but so far as his disability claim was concerned the last S. Lancs 32787 was the most important for their reference purposes]

M

Just a quick question. 

My understanding of his rank on the medal card is that acting corporal? I'm just wondering how he was promoted so highly to acting corporal. I may be wrong but why was this? Do we know? 

5 minutes ago, corisande said:
18 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

His service number was 32787 while this other C Hiscock is 48228. Correct me if I'm wrong but surely a man wouldn't change service number ?

Perhaps this entry from the Medal Roll will explain as he went  from 2nd Welch to 2nd S Lancs and 11th S Lancs

charles.jpg.beda168434f53abb687a9f78ec4c0c09.jpg

Ahem, not my position.  You quote from my reply to the OP in which I explain that there was no such think as a SN during the war!

M

Just a quick question. 

My understanding of his rank on the medal card is that acting corporal? I'm just wondering how he was promoted so highly to acting corporal. I may be wrong but why was this? Do we know? 

48 minutes ago, Price566673738 said:

My understanding of his rank on the medal card is that acting corporal? 

??? Acting Cpl ... MIC just records Pte [so only a Pte in theatre]

48 minutes ago, Price566673738 said:

I'm just wondering how he was promoted so highly to acting corporal. I may be wrong but why was this? Do we know? 

Something to search/explore further but during wartime promotion was typically on merit and necessity and could be rapid - and not particularly based on length of service.  Similarly, immediately post-war higher ranks could quickly be reached as other men got demobbed - they had to retain some sort of rank structure after all.

Acting Cpl was still a probationary rank - usually necessary en-route to paid substantive Cpl [which according to the pension ledger page he apparently seems to have made - because the MoP paid his pension at that rate - Under the 1919 RW a pension Class IV NCO/Cpl with 20% disabity = 8/8 pw, as seen on the pension ledger page front]. From the PLP it is unclear what pension was paid 1922/23 under the prevailing 1919 RW. However looking again ... it could potentially read 8/- pw which was the rate for a Pte with a 20% disability [which regardless of stripes on his arm in a post-war photo would be suggestive of not having a substantive rank of Cpl]

The two chevrons [Cpl] seen worn in the post-war photo do not necessarily differentiate between acting/probationary and substantive Cpl

M

Edited by Matlock1418
expand & strike - revise pension details and look again

On 25/03/2024 at 17:34, Matlock1418 said:

It offers another address search opportunity - Brynteg

M

Hey guys, I've just looked at William Hiscocks wedding certificate. (I know this is about Charles) it notes his address as 9 Bennett street Blaina but also Brynteg. Could lead to new clues