Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remington 1907 Bayonet

t.ryan

On 10/04/2024 at 10:43, DisasterDog said:

Funny you mention that, I looked through all of my Indian bayonets & couldn’t find any Indian inspection markings on any of the scabbard metal.  No “C^number”, no “ca”, go figure.  It’s only more questions than answers.  The unfortunate part about it is the number of people who possess examples versus the number who share & participate.  The puzzle awaits more pieces…..

How odd, i “be disproved” haha- I’ve let a couple of my mates to link this so they can modify their bayonet descriptions. 

Thanks for the link, it’s just so odd because talking a couple folks- there should have been more scabbard fittings available in the 60s than any other time- because except for 1946 dated bayonet, all bayonet production had ceased.

I will have to buy some more examples haha 

kind regards

g

just to share some pictures from a Remington 1907 made in 1915 and FTRed 1956 in India to a MKI**. 

20240415_080604.jpg

20240415_080751.jpg

Beautiful mate, very nice to see

these CA markings are turning up everywhere!

kind regards

g

On 10/04/2024 at 08:06, DisasterDog said:

I think these are late production lockets, at least based off of discussion with other collectors who were in the game when these became available.  I think your example was fitted to the scabbard well past independence & that your “ca” marking indicates refurbishment of the scabbard rather than its production.  I think these date from a time when the 2A series came into production, as the rifle itself was a stopgap measure.  They are certainly uncommon and one would think they would be encountered much more frequently were they even WW2 production.  

Sorry to dig this up again. However I got back from my business trip and headed to my library and pulled out a copy of Michael Roses' 17 Inches of Imperial Steel in Service of the Raj"

So the Scabbard, Bayonet No.1 Mk IIIA as pictured with the crude butterfly clasp and referenced as B1429 in his book was formally announced on 01JULY1944. 

The reason it appears they are so rare is that in 01DEC1945 the nomenclature for the MkII and MkIII was changed to Drill Purpose Scabbards - which indicates obsolesce. One would assume means they were either no longer in production or in very limited production as they were now Drill Purpose and therefore it may indicate they were only produced from July 1944-December 1945. Hence the short life span and the relative uncommonness.

kind regards,

g

10 hours ago, navydoc16 said:

Sorry to dig this up again. However I got back from my business trip and headed to my library and pulled out a copy of Michael Roses' 17 Inches of Imperial Steel in Service of the Raj"

So the Scabbard, Bayonet No.1 Mk IIIA as pictured with the crude butterfly clasp and referenced as B1429 in his book was formally announced on 01JULY1944. 

The reason it appears they are so rare is that in 01DEC1945 the nomenclature for the MkII and MkIII was changed to Drill Purpose Scabbards - which indicates obsolesce. One would assume means they were either no longer in production or in very limited production as they were now Drill Purpose and therefore it may indicate they were only produced from July 1944-December 1945. Hence the short life span and the relative uncommonness.

kind regards,

g

Excellent information!

9 hours ago, DisasterDog said:

Excellent information!

It would seem they would have just refurbished them with any other bayonet fittings for DP destined equip, probably without much care as they were deemed DP. Which would explain that late 1960s one you showed. 

Also maybe sheds light on what I was told by one of the big Indian bayonet collectors here - that they were starting to run out of scabbard fittings.

it also seems to coincide with a lot of the more of the common JU, MIL and NWR dates- they probably expected with the extra factories that they were going to be using a lot more fittings in a quick amount of time as well. 

kind regards

g

Edited by navydoc16