Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Scots (Fusiliers?) Where was this picture taken??

iancooper

3 minutes ago, iancooper said:

Thank you, I'll carry on the search tomorrow. 

At least you now have local newspapers in the Curragh and Dublin to focus on throughout the 1917 and early 1918 period to see if there’s any mention of them.  Also I hope that there might be a surviving war diary, which is unclear at the moment.  I wonder if @corisande might’ve come across any mention of 2/9th HLI during his research of Ireland during that period?

Edited by FROGSMILE

Afraid I am on holiday in remote southern Colombia, and not in a position to do any in depth research

5 minutes ago, corisande said:

Afraid I am on holiday in remote southern Colombia, and not in a position to do any in depth research

No problem, thanks for responding and I hope that you enjoy your holiday.  Perhaps you would be kind enough to take a quick look when you return home.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Morning,

Notification of the breakup of the 65th Division in Ireland was received January 1918, by mid-March the HQ was closed and by 15 May 1918 it ceased to exist, all men transferred or drafted,

Ian - you will see in my book a section on the 65th Division in Ireland (including 2/9th RS and 2/9th HLI). A long time ago now I tried to gather information here: 

I think you will struggle to find a war diary for these second line units, they were not required to maintain one. 

10 hours ago, Neill Gilhooley said:

Ian - you will see in my book a section on the 65th Division in Ireland (including 2/9th RS and 2/9th HLI). A long time ago now I tried to gather information here: 

Neill, Many thanks. Your suggestion to join this Forum has proved invaluable. I've now identified not only the location of my second photograph/postcard as Maryhill Barracks but also the units my grandfather was (probably) in and some of the locations he was at. Great result after 10 or more years searching the wrong sources! 

10 hours ago, Neill Gilhooley said:

Morning,

Notification of the breakup of the 65th Division in Ireland was received January 1918, by mid-March the HQ was closed and by 15 May 1918 it ceased to exist, all men transferred or drafted,

I think you will struggle to find a war diary for these second line units, they were not required to maintain one. 

I wonder if there were any records kept by the 65th (Lowland) Division and 196th (HLI) Brigade.  It was a politically fraught time and the Army was right in the thick of the rising tension so I’d be surprised if there’s nothing in the National Archives, or perhaps the private military papers of senior officers involved at the time.  I see that there are some tantalising links at the bottom here, but frustratingly they’re locked behind a paywall:

https://www.wartimememoriesproject.com/greatwar/allied/division.php?pid=11597

Edited by FROGSMILE

For interest this photograph was in the Tatler 19/05/1915 

Courtesy BNL via FMP.

Brian

The_Tatler_19_May_1915_0005.jpg

58 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I see that there are some tantalising links at the bottom here, but frustratingly they’re locked behind a paywall:

Yes they are but you can take out a trial membership, as I did, and then ensure you cancel quickly or the cost is around £80 a year! 

I had a look during my trial membership but not at my grandfather. My uncle joined up in 1915 in Canada after emigrating in 1911. He survived despite severe wounds and lived to 1929. I might add that his full service record was found online all 40 pages of it! 

Edited by iancooper

6 hours ago, iancooper said:

Yes they are but you can take out a trial membership, as I did, and then ensure you cancel quickly or the cost is around £80 a year! 

I had a look during my trial membership but not at my grandfather. My uncle joined up in 1915 in Canada after emigrating in 1911. He survived despite severe wounds and lived to 1929. I might add that his full service record was found online all 40 pages of it! 

Well I hope you are successful with your research of 2/9th HLI.  His glengarry and cap make it crystal clear that he served with 9th HLI in one of their units, or at the very least he was at the time of the photo at Maryhill Barracks.

Edited by FROGSMILE

38 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Well I hope you are successful with your research of 2/9th HLI.  His glengarry and cap make it crystal clear that he served with 9th HLI in one of their units, or at least he was at the time of the photo at Maryhill Barracks.

Thanks. 

16 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

For interest this photograph was in the Tatler 19/05/1915 

Yes, a great picture Brian. It did not come out so well in my book, I think it is called the Moiré effect.

7 hours ago, Neill Gilhooley said:

Yes, a great picture Brian. It did not come out so well in my book, I think it is called the Moiré effect.

All the pictures in the Tatler are of a similar quality. What a good source.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Have previously done some research into this chap from 2/9 HLI:

THOMAS (TOMMY) MUIR

2/9 Highland Light Infantry (Glasgow Highlanders)

From Dennistoun, Glasgow.

Enlisted Glasgow.

Stationed in Maldon (HLI in Maldon from March 1916 and moved out January 1917).

Stationed in the Curragh by Christmas 1916 (HQ of the Signal Section).

Corresponding with Mrs. Volta from the Curragh in January 1917.

In France by 7/2/17.

Wounded May 1917.

Correspondence with Mrs. Volta ends Christmas 1917.

Awarded Military Medal (London Gazette 13/9/1918)

Killed in Action 12/10/1918.

Buried SELRIDGE BRITISH CEMETERY, MONTAY, France.

Entitled to the pair.

I have correspondence between this HLI lad and Maldon tea shop owner, Mrs. Volta including:

A Christmas card for 1916 from Thomas Muir of the 2/9 Highland Light Infantry (Glasgow Highlanders). At that stage, “Tommy” was in the Curragh, Ireland (the Headquarters of the Signal Section) and continued to correspond into the New Year of 1917. He was still in Ireland in January, but by the 7th February was in France and; “ready to go up the line”. By the 24th May he had been “over the top” and had taken a shrapnel wound to his back but was; “still going strong”. Further letters followed and then another Christmas card (1917) “from the Field”, but then they suddenly stop. So what happened to Tommy Muir? Why did he stop writing to Mrs. Volta? After all, he had described his time in Maldon as some of the “happiest in his life”. Further research reveals that he was originally from Dennistoun, in Glasgow. He had enlisted in the City but transferred to Maldon in March 1916, where he doubtless enjoyed cups of tea in Mrs. Volta’s much patronised establishment. She must have been sorry when the smart young kilted lad with the broad Glaswegian accent moved to Ireland and then France. After the Christmas card of 1917 it would appear that he continued on active service and was actually awarded for his bravery with no less than a Military Medal. The trail then goes cold again until the feared, but somehow inevitable, “killed in action” entry of the 12/10/1918. Today, Tommy lies buried in Selridge British Cemetery, Montay, north of the town of Le Cateau, Northern France. 

This is Tommy Muir.

image.jpeg

And here are some other HLI chaps in Maldon.....

Another HLI.jpg

Just now, stephen p nunn said:

This is Tommy Muir.

image.jpeg

And here are some other HLI chaps in Maldon.....

Another HLI.jpg

Group HLI.jpg

HLI004.jpg

HLIZ.jpg

I don’t think this is the right thread for your very interesting story Stephen.  There are much better threads focused on the Glasgow Highlanders in the forum than this one, which will be obscured by the thread title and fact that it’s a story about someone else entirely.

Just now, FROGSMILE said:

I don’t think this is the right thread for your very interesting story Stephen.  There are much better threads focused on the Glasgow Highlanders in the forum than this one, which will be obscured by the thread title and fact that it’s a story about someone else entirely.

OK - thought there was reference to 2/9 HLI and Maldon?

6 minutes ago, stephen p nunn said:

OK - thought there was reference to 2/9 HLI and Maldon?

Yes but it’s all about a particular individual.  If you do a search using the regimental title you will find much better places to put this man’s account I think.  I mean no discouragement it’s a very evocative and poignant story.  Alternatively give him his own thread perhaps.  It’s just a suggestion.  I mean well.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Just now, FROGSMILE said:

Yes but it’s all about a particular individual.  If you do a search using the regimental title you will find much better places to put this account I think.  I mean no discouragement it’s a very evocative and poignant story.

So was the chap in this thread in Maldon?

5 minutes ago, stephen p nunn said:

So was the chap in this thread in Maldon?

Have you read the thread?  He moved between battalions, but not necessarily at a time when at Maldon.  As far as I can see the only mention of Maldon was mine when showing the movements of a battalion he later on in his service was posted to.

You’ve in effect buried your subjects interesting story within someone else’s via a very tenuous connection.

Edited by FROGSMILE

By 1916 the 2nd Line, 6th Battalion, Highland Light Infantry was stationed in Maldon, with an orderly room at 27 London Road and a field kitchen in the adjacent yard. They had relocated from Dunfermline, Fife, and during the move 85 pairs of boots, some tools and 3 stable barrows had gone missing. Maldon’s Inspector of Police offered a £5 reward for any information!

1 minute ago, stephen p nunn said:

By 1916 the 2nd Line, 6th Battalion, Highland Light Infantry was stationed in Maldon, with an orderly room at 27 London Road and a field kitchen in the adjacent yard. They had relocated from Dunfermline, Fife, and during the move 85 pairs of boots, some tools and 3 stable barrows had gone missing. Maldon’s Inspector of Police offered a £5 reward for any information!

It has nothing to do with the man this thread is covering, I’m surprised you can’t see that.  Your man deserves a better billet for his poignant story. 

Thanks for the information about The Curragh, helpful. 

1 minute ago, iancooper said:

Thanks for the information about The Curragh, helpful. 

Thank you Ian - glad my "ramblings" were of some interest.

Regards. Stephen (Maldon)

1 minute ago, stephen p nunn said:

Thank you Ian - glad my "ramblings" were of some interest.

Regards. Stephen (Maldon)

Yes, just trying to get my head round the life these men had in Ireland when they didn't go to the Western Front but stayed in these islands and mostly survived.