Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identity of Cap Badge - is it the Royal Irish Rifles?

Ann2725

5 hours ago, Ann2725 said:

I didn’t know that and, as I don’t even know if Thomas James Graham fought in WWI, other than sending a photo to his brother Nat, it may well remain a mystery. He probably enlisted in Northumberland, so I don’t know if that would make a difference. I don’t think the younger man in that photo looks like James Alexander Graham. My Dad’s grandparents had died by 1900 and only his uncle, Nathaniel in England and aunt, Sarah in America (Thomas James ?) remained alive when he was born.He spoke little about his father’s family, so I have no family knowledge to back anything up. 

Yes it will be difficult to confirm.  All the infantry regiments except the Irish ones had four types of unit (battalion), Regular; Special Reserve; Territorial; and War Service.  The Irish regiments excluded the Territorials for political reasons, but had extra Special Reserve in compensation.  Most of the Irish regiments War Service battalion’s were raised in Ireland initially, but sometimes men who had enlisted elsewhere in Britain were sent to join them, so Northumberland is not impossible.  The Northumberland Fusiliers even raised some special War Service battalions given the secondary title Tyneside Irish.  They wore the standard cap badge, but special badges on their collars and / or shoulders.

IMG_2642.jpeg

IMG_2643.jpeg

IMG_2644.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

39 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes it will be difficult to confirm.  All the infantry regiments except the Irish ones had four types of unit (battalion), Regular; Special Reserve; Territorial; and War Service.  The Irish regiments excluded the Territorials for political reasons but had extra Special Reserve in compensation.  Most of the Irish regiments War Service battalion’s were raised in Ireland initially, but sometimes men enlisted elsewhere in Britain were sent to join them, so Northumberland is not impossible.  The Northumberland Fusiliers even raised some special War Service battalions given the secondary title Tyneside Irish.  They wore the standard cap badge, but special badges on their collars and / or shoulders.

IMG_2642.jpeg

IMG_2643.jpeg

IMG_2644.jpeg

39 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes it will be difficult to confirm.  All the infantry regiments except the Irish ones had four types of unit (battalion), Regular; Special Reserve; Territorial; and War Service.  The Irish regiments excluded the Territorials for political reasons but had extra Special Reserve in compensation.  Most of the Irish regiments War Service battalion’s were raised in Ireland initially, but sometimes men enlisted elsewhere in Britain were sent to join them, so Northumberland is not impossible.  The Northumberland Fusiliers even raised some special War Service battalions given the secondary title Tyneside Irish.  They wore the standard cap badge, but special badges on their collars and / or shoulders.

IMG_2642.jpeg

IMG_2643.jpeg

IMG_2644.jpeg

5 hours ago, Ann2725 said:

James Alexander Graham is right on. He lived in Newbiggen-by-the-Sea

That's grand - glad we found him at Newbiggen-by-the-Sea

Following on from my early discovery of the two pension ledger pages at WFA/Fold3 I have identified another pension index card at WFA/Fold3 which seems to give another and earlier number, thus:

• 32186 Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
  • 6972933 Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

The trick witll be to now identify the other regiment.

As I noted above the last, seven digit, number indicates he served after the war [in fact discharged 24.12.20 12.10.20] so his service papers are quite likely to still survive with the MoD/possibly currently on their way to the National Archive [records for men serving post-war were kept differently to those later destroyed by bomb, fire & water in WW2]

Though there is a known list of some of these records it is also understood to be incomplete - so the only sure way to know if his records do indeed survive is for an application to get a copy be made.

I think member @Dai Bach y Sowldiwr can possibly check the known listed men/numbers as a pre-curser

M

Edit:  https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-records-of-service/apply-for-the-records-of-a-deceased-serviceperson

Edited by Matlock1418
strike correct date of discharge

10 minutes ago, Ann2725 said:

Thomas James Graham was living in Throckley, Newburn, Northumberland with my Granda, his wife and their children as well as an older brother, David. My grandparents returned to Ireland in 1911 to buy a farm. Thomas James may have gone with them and enlisted in Ireland or he may have remained in Northumberland and signed up there. The brothers were even in Durham at one time. I have no knowledge of where he actually went or where he may have enlisted. Thank you for all your help and enlightening information.

Edited by Ann2725

Thank you Matlock1418. You have gone above and beyond and the knowledge you folks have is astounding. My great-Uncle Thomas James Graham may just have to remain a mystery. I cannot find him anywhere after 1911 and in uniform in that first photo.

James Alexander Graham

Sorry, forgot to mention earlier that the disability JAG claimed for was Chronic Suppurating Otitis Media [an ear condition] Aggravated by service. 

His initial claim 12.10.20 was made/administered in pension Region 12 [Northern Ireland (Pension Office in Belfast)] then transferred 24.12.20 to Region 2 [Northern England]

The reverse of one of the pension ledger pages records his claim coming to an end ... 21.4.21 Supplementary Gratuity £5.0.0 In addition to former award 

The quantum of the former award is unknown at the moment but is potentially likely to have been c.10% disability I would guess given the very small final gratuity, [A gratuity would typically indicate <10%].

M

Edited by Matlock1418
tweak

3 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

I think member @Dai Bach y Sowldiwr can possibly check the known listed men/numbers as a pre-curser

Sorry, no the number 6972933 doesn't appear for any of the post 1920 soldiers with the surname Graham.

As mentioned, the lists are notoriously incomplete.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

On 20/02/2024 at 09:45, Ann2725 said:

Photo of Thomas James Graham known as “James” (on the right) and an unidentified younger man, taken in Cookstown, Ireland. Inscription on the back of the photo, “To my brother Nat, from James.” Thomas James Graham was born 25 March 1873 in Ballynagilly near Cookstown, County Tyrone, Ireland.

8 hours ago, Ann2725 said:

I don’t even know if Thomas James Graham fought in WWI, other than sending a photo to his brother Nat, it may well remain a mystery.

Some options seem available as WFA/Fold3 pension records: Thomas James GRAHAM / Thomas GRAHAM / James GRAHAM

Looking for Northumberland and/or Northern Ireland RIR & RInnisR - Excluding the dead = perhaps:

This one certainly caught my eye due to the nature of the disability [which was awfully similar to James Alexander GRAHAM's condition] and also had a later seven digit Army No. - though of course might just be a coincidence as would seem likely a pretty common complaint and extended service wasn't exactly that uncommon either.

• Thomas GRAHAM, 31817, 6972737, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers Discharged 30.9.20, Awarded 6/10 pw for 30 Weeks - Otitis Media [an ear condition] Aggravated by service - 66 Joseph St, Belfast 

Another with potential post-war service records

???

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

21 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Sorry, no the number 6972933 doesn't appear for any of the post 1920 soldiers with the surname Graham.

As mentioned, the lists are notoriously incomplete.

Thanks for looking Dai.  I again note the aforementioned standard proviso!

Ann = As always, a date of birth is handy when looking for post-war service/retained SR

Got to say a Thomas James GRAHAM, 25 March 1873, DoB is probably not impossible for wartime service, perhaps in the UK only, and yet likely to be a bit of a challenge for a man serving after the war - if possibly as 6972737.

???

M

Edited by Matlock1418

21 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:
  • Thomas GRAHAM, 31817, 6972737, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers Discharged 30.9.20, Awarded 6/10 pw for 30 Weeks - Otitis Media [an ear condition] Aggravated by service - 66 Joseph St, Belfast 

No match there either.
It seems as though a very large number of the men with 7 digit numbers starting 6972*** have Irish sounding surnames.
Perhaps a number expert could confirm if these blocks were indeed  allocated to Irish regiments.
I did find these 2 :
6972181    NULL    GRAHAM M    NULL    NULL    1888-08-10
6974829    NULL    GRAHAM TG    NULL    YORK    1900-05-20

The 5th column does contain some regiment names (York) for TG Graham), but not many. There are one or two RIFs, but no distinct pattern.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

12 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Thomas James GRAHAM, 25 March 1873

Cross checked the list by DOB, and the only man born that day was Feeney CH,  6733557.
(Another Irish sounding name, to my ears at least, and another 67***** number.)

I presume purely co-incidental...

Photo of Thomas James Graham known as “James” (on the right) and an unidentified younger man, taken in Cookstown, Ireland. Inscription on the back of the photo, “To my brother Nat, from James.” Thomas James Graham was born 25 March 1873 in Ballynagilly near Cookstown, County Tyrone, Ireland.

Of course there is no guarantee that Thomas James "James" GRAHAM, if he joined up, then declared an accurate DoB to the Army!

As few men of advanced years [!!!:D] added years to their age on enlistment [generally being more likely to take off years] then I guess we are possibly looking for a later 'Army DoB' / younger 'Army Age'

Oh joy!

???

M

8 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

It’s possible that one of your relatives served in both regiments.  It was common for men who were wounded or sick and treated in hospital to be sent to other regiments upon their recovery.  This was because of a pragmatic policy to send reinforcements to units where they were most needed at any particular time. 

I didn’t know that and, as I don’t even know if Thomas James Graham fought in WWI, other than sending a photo to his brother Nat, it may well remain a mystery. He probably enlisted in Northumberland, so I don’t know if that would make a difference. I don’t think the younger man in that photo looks like James Alexander Graham. My Dad’s grandparents had died by 1900 and only his uncle, Nathaniel in England and aunt, Sarah in America (Thomas James ?) remained alive when he was born.He spoke little about his father’s family, so I have no family knowledge to back anything up. 

This is sounding like a wild goose chase, but the inscription on the back of that photo has to mean something. I take your point that he may have taken some years off his actual age, but I do have a concern that the man standing does not look 41. Having said that, my Dad’s family always had a youthful look about them. He is wearing the Royal Irish Rifles uniform in the photo, but he could have been sent to a different unit after treatment for his ear condition? Thank you so much for trying to find him for me. Who is the next-of-kin shown on the records? His parents were dead at this time, so I would expect a brother, either William John, David, Nathaniel or George, rather than his sister Sarah who was in America.

i can find no Thomas (or James) Graham in the 1911 Census living at 66 Joseph St, Belfast, although he could have moved there between 1911 and 1914. There is no Thomas J Graham in Belfast at that time, so it’s possible it’s him.

Although his birth was registered and he was baptised as Thomas James, he was always known as “James”, so it is possible we are looking for James Graham and not Thomas at all. One final look maybe and then that’s it. I haven’t been able to find him after the war, but he doesn’t appear to be on any of the war memorials in Cookstown or Northumberland, so he must have survived.

The two Grandmothers were Cahoons and, while they were not from Cookstown, there are several Nathaniels in that family (I suspect that’s how the name got into our family), but there are none with a brother,James. 

As you say, Oh Joy! 

IMG_2938.jpeg

Edited by Ann2725

1 hour ago, Ann2725 said:

This is sounding like a wild goose chase,

The bread and butter of many members!

Thomas James Graham, who may have also been known as Thomas James Gormley

Ah, for a wild goose chase!

Some ideas from pension records to consider / rule upon, sadly addresses and other details are sparse [though one might perhaps particularly raise some faint hope ??]:

Thomas James GORMLEY, Royal Inniskilling Fusliers

• Nil

Thomas GORMLEY, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

• Nil

James GORMLEY, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

• 25832 - Claiming in Pension Region 4 [Yorkshire] - so has to be questioned given my scant knowledge of the family situation
  • 3/15032 [I think the same as below due to a common earlier Chelsea Hospital claim reference of 61633/H]
  • 3/25032 [i.e. 3rd Bn] Chelsea Hospital claim reference of 61633/H, MoP Claim reference 12/MG/221- Born 1870/71 - Discharged 7/4/16, Married 23.7.1893, Bella, - Keolin Rd, Omagh, Co Tyrone - Haemorroids - lots of award annotations leading to 5/2/24 plus later notes to well beyond. This chap may perhaps have only served in the UK so no overseas service or medals => There is a Silver War Badge MIC for service 30-7-15 to 7-4-16 - No medals shown - Discharged due to Sickness and listed for a SWB ... the SWB list may better give his battalion [I'm thinking 3rd Bn, but cannot otherwise clarify]  Perhaps @Allan1892 or another member can see the SWB list and/or more ??

Thomas James GORMLEY, Royal Irish Rifles

• Nil

Thomas GORMLEY, Royal Irish Rifles

• Nil

James GORMLEY, Royal Irish Rifles

• 2483 - Discharged 10.18, Ballyfatton, Sion Mills, Co Tyrone - Disordered Action of the Heart & Haemorroids - Claiming for self, wife and 2 children through to final award  for 70 weeks from 9th May 1923

If I haven't succeeded then I suggest a further double-check of all these names and numbers [as my searches are certainly not always infallible]

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

10 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

It’s possible that one of your relatives served in both regiments.  It was common for men who were wounded or sick and treated in hospital to be sent to other regiments upon their recovery.  This was because of a pragmatic policy to send reinforcements to units where they were most needed at any particular time. 

No family connection to Yorkshire, only Cookstown and Leitrim near Castledawson in Ireland and Northumberland and Durham in England and oh, of course New Zealand where I was born. I have no knowledge of TJG coming here though and I think I would because I know of two others; my Dad’s maternal uncle and his oldest brother.

Thomas James Graham was living with my Granda and family in Throckley, Newburn in the 1911 Census and was unmarried. I have not found a subsequent marriage and it would cost me a small fortune to check all Thomas James Graham marriages in England. His two oldest brothers did not marry, so perhaps he didn’t either.

No-one in the family had heard of Thomas James, although I have an entry to prove his birth to David Graham and Rebecca Cahoon and a baptismal record; same as for the other two youngest children, my Granda and sister Sarah. Thanks for checking the Gormley name, it was just a thought. My great-grandfather was known as either Gormley or Graham, as were the older children, but the three youngest were only known as Graham; Thomas James being the baby of the family.

Thomas James may have enlisted as James Graham as he always went by James (all census records are in the name of James and I know for a fact that it was him, because he was always with one of his brothers - Thomas was never used) and I expect there is a ton of James Grahams in the British Army.

There is no other brother named just James that I know of. From the evidence I have, it is not likely - but never say never. The Irish always surprise you. Rebecca was about 45 when Thomas James was born, so doubtful she had another child and called him James, but did not have him baptised. No deaths found for TJG (either as a baby or after 1911) found in Ireland.

I can understand what you mean about the term “bread and butter” to many members. I have helped numerous people break down brick walls relating to Irish civil records and don’t like letting go without solving a mystery. However, I have no knowledge of searching military records, so am deeply grateful for your efforts.

Edited by Ann2725

1 hour ago, Matlock1418 said:

James GORMLEY, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

• 25832 - Claiming in Pension Region 4 [Yorkshire] - so has to be questioned given my scant knowledge of the family situation
  • 3/15032 [I think the same as below due to a common earlier Chelsea Hospital claim reference of 61633/H]
  • 3/25032 [i.e. 3rd Bn] Chelsea Hospital claim reference of 61633/H, MoP Claim reference 12/MG/221- Born 1870/71 - Discharged 7/4/16, Married 23.7.1893, Bella, - Keolin Rd, Omagh, Co Tyrone - Haemorroids - lots of award annotations leading to 5/2/24 plus later notes to well beyond. This chap may perhaps have only served in the UK so no overseas service or medals => There is a Silver War Badge MIC for service 30-7-15 to 7-4-16 - No medals shown - Discharged due to Sickness and listed for a SWB ... the SWB list may better give his battalion [I'm thinking 3rd Bn, but cannot otherwise clarify] 

I was quite encouraged by this 3/25032 possibility - so still hope that other members can expand - one way or another.

I thought a James GORMLEY born 1870/71 and the marriage to a Bella, 23,7.1893 might have helped you decide.  But I guess not thought your man.

Wishing you all the best.

M

Edited by Matlock1418

Thank you for this. James Gormley married Bella Dillon 23 July 1893 and his father was also James Gormley, a Tailor. TJG’s father was David Gormley or Graham, Farmer.

4 minutes ago, Ann2725 said:

Thank you for this. James Gormley married Bella Dillon 23 July 1893 and his father was also James Gormley, a Tailor. TJG’s father was David Gormley or Graham, Farmer.

I guess you have made your case for JG not being your TJG. :D :(

M

Edited by Matlock1418

I guess James Graham is the last ditch hope.

I’m surprised that my Dad didn’t know (or didn’t mention) that he had an Uncle who served in WWI, as his father was so proud he enlisted in the RAF in WWII when the Irish weren’t compelled to join up. Dad joined up in 1936, so his Dad must have forgotten that.

Seeing you all like a challenge, how about this one ……… which may, or may not be true?

Dad thought that his father (George Graham - they are two-a-plenty) served in WWI, because he says he can remember him not coming home until he was 2½ years old; he was in uniform and carrying a big gun (???). If he did, he must have joined up when Dad was a baby because that’s Dad in his mother’s arms. Dad would have been 3½ years old at the end of the war. George  must have come home at some point, because a younger brother was born Jan 1917! There are no photographs of him in uniform which I think is strange, although he was a very private man and he didn’t like his photo taken.

I know he served in the Boer War, because he brought back a piece of Agate that he had made into a brooch for his bride-to-be. This was later made into a pendant for one of his granddaughters on her 18th birthday. This same granddaughter also found an Army Uniform up in the attic, but said it was so small, it would have only fitted a boy - did this belong to James Alexander Graham perhaps or did it belong to one of the children (see photo attached). George is the on the left and his brother-in-law who joined the Flying Corps is on the right.

I would have thought Dad would have talked about who went to War in the family, but other than his Dad and his oldest brother, he did not.

……………… Here’s a challenge. If you want to prove the WWI story right or wrong (and my Dad has been wrong before, although there was always some grain of truth in the stories), here are the details.

George Graham, born 09 August 1870. Went to Northumberland pre 1891 and appears in the Census records for 1891, 1901 and 1911.

In 1901, George and his brother James were boarding with a widow in Coxlodge, Northumberland, England. So, if George went off to South Africa, he would have enlisted in Northumberland, England. I don’t know if you guys and gals are experts in that conflict as well. George married 22 April 1902 in Castledawson, so I don’t know if he could have left prior to the end of the conflict in May 1902? That doesn’t make much sense, but my cousin is adamant that he did fight in the Boer War. That would have come from her father as she was only a toddler when our Granda died. My father never mentioned it.

I found the following, but no details to prove or disprove:

casus-belli.co.uk :: Graham G (Private 3299) (Private 5976) - Northumberland Fusiliers

Service No 29574 | Rank: Trooper - Northumberland Yeomanry - The Queen's South Africa (QSA) Medal Clasps: Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1901, South Africa 1902 - Findmypast.com.au

George was back in Ireland after the 1911 Census was taken and was living in Leitrim, near Castledawson, County Londonderry. So, if he did fight in WWI, he would have enlisted in Ireland. His wife’s Uncle enlisted in the Flying Corps in Omagh, so I don’t know if that was the nearest enlistment place.

Happy hunting. 

IMG_2957.jpeg

Edited by Ann2725

46 minutes ago, Ann2725 said:

I guess James Graham is the last ditch hope.

I’m surprised that my Dad didn’t know (or didn’t mention) that he had an Uncle who served in WWI, as his father was so proud he enlisted in the RAF in WWII when the Irish weren’t compelled to join up. Dad joined up in 1936, so his Dad must have forgotten that.

Seeing you all like a challenge, how about this one ……… which may, or may not be true?

Dad thought that his father (George Graham - they are to-a-plenty) served in WWI, because he says he can remember him not coming home until he was 2½ years old; he was in uniform and carrying a big gun (???). If he did, he must have joined up when Dad was a baby because that’s Dad in his mother’s arms. Dad would have been 3½ years old at the end of the war. George  must have come home at some point, because a younger brother was born Jan 1917! There are no photographs of him in uniform which I think is strange, although he was a very private man and he didn’t like his photo taken.

I know he served in the Boer War, because he brought back a piece of Agate that he had made into a brooch for his bride-to-be. This was later made into a pendant for one of his granddaughters on her 18th birthday. This same granddaughter also found an Army Uniform up in the attic, but said it was so small, it would have only fitted a boy - did this belong to James Alexander Graham perhaps or did it belong to one of the children (see photo attached). George is the on the left and his brother-in-law who joined the Flying Corps is on the right.

I would have thought Dad would have talked about who went to War in the family, but other than his Dad and his oldest brother, he did not.

……………… Here’s a challenge. If you want to prove the WWI story right or wrong (and my Dad has been wrong before, although there was always some grain of truth in the stories), here are the details.

George Graham, born 09 August 1870. Went to Northumberland pre 1891 and appears in the Census records for 1891, 1901 and 1911.

In 1901, George and his brother James were boarding with a widow in Coxlodge, Northumberland, England. So, if George went off to South Africa, he would have enlisted in Northumberland, England. I don’t know if you guys and gals are experts in that conflict as well. George married 22 April 1902 in Castledawson, so I don’t know if he could have left prior to the end of the conflict in May 1902? That doesn’t make much sense, but my cousin is adamant that he did fight in the Boer War. That would have come from her father as she was only a toddler when our Granda died. My father never mentioned it.

I found the following, but no details to prove or disprove:

casus-belli.co.uk :: Graham G (Private 3299) (Private 5976) - Northumberland Fusiliers

Service No 29574 | Rank: Trooper - Northumberland Yeomanry - The Queen's South Africa (QSA) Medal Clasps: Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1901, South Africa 1902 - Findmypast.com.au

George was back in Ireland after the 1911 Census was taken and was living in Leitrim, near Castledawson, County Londonderry. So, if he did fight in WWI, he would have enlisted in Ireland. His wife’s Uncle enlisted in the Flying Corps in Omagh, so I don’t know if that was the nearest enlistment place.

Happy hunting. 

IMG_2957.jpeg

The little boy at far left is wearing a khaki Army jacket with a medal ribbon that might be the KSA.  Infantry battalions and cavalry regiments each had a small establishment of enlisted boys (age 12 to 17, rising to 14 to 17 after the Boer War).  In the case of the infantry many of the boys did go with their units to South Africa.  I suspect the jacket might’ve been his father’s.

Yeomanry were not regulars, but auxiliary part time citizen soldiers.  During the Boer War they commonly signed up for one year.  This could be extended but many men chose to return home, although some went back out again subsequently.

The memory of the big gun is entirely legitimate.  Infantry soldiers took their rifles (but not ammunition) home with them when on leave.

The principal recruitment office in Ireland was at Dublin, but a man could begin the recruitment process at any of the many active Army barracks in Ireland. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

Gee whizz, you have such an eye for detail. I can’t even see it when you point it out. 

That would make sense then that George was in the Yeomanry. Are troopers on horses? I meant to mention he was a great horseman and his youngest son won lots of ribbons and cups for horses he bred and for ploughing competitions.

That’s interesting about the boys, but that boy, Willie David was born March 1903, so he wouldn’t have gone to South Africa, but could have been attached to a unit - he was about 12 in the photo, although he looks younger than this. It’s possible that the photo was earlier than 1915 as my Granny lost two baby girls and that might not be my father in her arms, but the boys are certainly Willie David, George Leslie, James and Joe.

I think you’ve solved that conundrum - fantastic. Thank you so much.

Edited by Ann2725

Without wanting to throw yet another red-herring into the pot but remembering Newbiggin-by-the-Sea and James Alexander GRAHAM

There is a pension record of a George GRAHAM, 12844, Northumberland Fusiliers, b.1884 from 26 Melden [or Meldon] Terrace, Newbiggin-by-the-Sea ... any relation?

M

Edited by Matlock1418

45 minutes ago, Ann2725 said:

Gee whizz, you have such an eye for detail. I can’t even see it when you point it out. 

That would make sense then that George was in the Yeomanry. Are troopers on horses? I meant to mention he was a great horseman and his youngest son won lots of ribbons and cups for horses he bred and for ploughing competitions.

I think you’ve solved that conundrum - fantastic. Thank you so much.

Yes, Yeomanry we’re the auxiliary cavalry element of the Reserve Forces.  They were generally made up from men who worked on the land and who were familiar with horseflesh.

The Northumberland Imperial Yeomanry (Hussars) had a reputation as one of the finest regiments and as a result of their excellent performance in the war they were earmarked before WW1 as the only yeomanry regiment committed to immediate overseas (aka ‘Imperial’) service.  See: http://lwf.it.ox.ac.uk/s/lest-we-forget/item/8040

I’ve extracted the little boy wearing a uniform jacket with KSA medal ribbon below. 

IMG_2658.jpeg

IMG_2660.jpeg

IMG_2659.jpeg

IMG_2661.jpeg

IMG_2663.jpeg

IMG_2664.jpeg

IMG_2665.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE