Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John bissett

Des Moriarty

I am looking for information about my wife’s grandfather. he served in the MGC, but can’t find any information beyond that 

Name: John Bissett 

Date of birth: Unknown

Place of Birth: Roscommon, Ireland

Regimental number: MGC (service Number 160312)

Rank(s): Private

Date of enlistment: 1914

Date of discharge: 1920 (est) – we believe he worked for army as a quartermaster in Ireland from 1918 to 1920

Thanks for your help, I am not sure where to start 

Des Moriarty 

His entry in the Medal Rolls (image courtesy of Ancestry) shows that he was in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers (service number 27280) before he was transferred into the MGC.

A search using the RDF service number brought up a few surviving papers for him which shows that he was in the 4th Battalion RDF. Link to these papers below if you have access to Find My Past)

British Army Service Records 1914-1920 Image | findmypast.co.uk

Bissett.jpg

His Medal Index Card (image courtesy of Ancestry) shows that he went overseas with the RDF. There isn't a notation on the card of what Theatre of War he was in nor is there a date -- the lack of a date means that he didn't go overseas until after 31 December 1915.

Bissett_MIC.jpg

That’s a great help, we believe that he may have served in the Somme. As on returning to Dublin, he made a trip to Kilkenny to commiserate with the family of a fallen comrade James Conroy (7790). He was from Kilkenny and died in the Somme in 1916. They must have shared a trench near the end. James served with the 2nd battalion Royal Irish Regiment, so they were never in the same unit 

The reason we know of the trip to Kilkenny was John went on to marry James’s sister and lived in Kilkenny 

• Admin

Without knowing which MGC company he served in, that could be tricky. 

1 hour ago, Des Moriarty said:

I am looking for information about my wife’s grandfather. he served in the MGC, but can’t find any information beyond that 

Name: John Bissett 

Date of birth: Unknown

Place of Birth: Roscommon, Ireland

Regimental number: MGC (service Number 160312)

Rank(s): Private

Date of enlistment: 1914

Date of discharge: 1920 (est) – we believe he worked for army as a quartermaster in Ireland from 1918 to 1920

Thanks for your help, I am not sure where to start 

Des Moriarty 

Des.

If you don't have any luck finding which battalion John served with here then these guys maybe able to help https://vickersmg.blog/about/research/mgcdatabase/ I found them very helpful.

Gunner

Edited by Gunner 87

He appears to be one of several RDF soldiers transferred to the MGC as a block.  In sequence: 160310 James Reilly, 160311 Arthur McGuckin (enter your 160312 here) 160313 Andrew Gibson and 160314 Peter Doherty to name a few - there will be more  Long shot but one of these may have a surviving record which could pinpoint the odd common fact/pattern from around the time of transfer.  I'd have a nose around there to hopefully move things on.

Edited by TullochArd

John BISSETT, 160312, Machine Gun Corps / MGC

A pension index card and a pension ledger page(s) [front and rear], latter is particularly detailed, available at WFA/Fold3

Discharged 19-10-19

Initially awarded 16/- pw from 20/10/19 [the 40% disability rate for a pension Class V soldier / Pte]

Gun Shot Wound to Face, Left jaw.  Living at Castlerea, Co Roscommon

22.4.20 rated at 50%, 20/- pw  Reduces/paid to 8/- pw [20% rate] 18.6.20 to at least 5-2-24

All under the 1919 RW

M

He lived in Roscommon from 1919 to 1920 as we believe he worked for army as a quartermaster in Ireland from 1918 to 1920

He then rejoined the British Army in WW2, Regimental number: AMPC (WW2) service number 13053015, we believe he was working in armaments store at Box, Wiltshire In 1940

He died October 10th 1940 in England, we assume in air raid. Buried in war grave in Bath

8 minutes ago, Des Moriarty said:

He died October 10th 1940 in England, we assume in air raid. Buried in war grave in Bath

No need to assume - his Death certificate should describe his cause of death - quite inexpensive, £2.50, digital DC from GRO are now instantly available.

Presuming this is him

BISSETT, JOHN     46  
GRO Reference: 1940  D Quarter in BATHAVON  Volume 05C  Page 1558
Order this entry as a:           

M

1 minute ago, Matlock1418 said:

No need to assume - his Death certificate should describe his cause of death - quite inexpensive, £2.50, digital DC from GRO are now instantly available.

Presuming this is him

BISSETT, JOHN     46  
Order this entry as a:           

M

Great, I will order this, thanks 

16 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Presuming this is him

BISSETT, JOHN     46  
Order this entry as a:           

M

Thanks for that, that was him. He was hit by a Bus, we believe it was during an air raid in bath.

Regarding his MGC service.  Have a look at:

Machine Gun Corps- Service Numbers- issue dates ? - Soldiers and their units - The Great War (1914-1918) Forum (greatwarforum.org)

Keep ploughing on through the 176 GWF contributions and you may find a rough date for his transfer to MGC ........ stick with it until you get to the graphs.  I was looking at 1918.  I stand by to be corrected.

25 minutes ago, Des Moriarty said:

Thanks for that, that was him. He was hit by a Bus, we believe it was during an air raid in bath.

Report from the Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette, 12 October 1940 (courtesy of Find My Past)

Bissett_newspaper report on death.jpg

7 minutes ago, Allan1892 said:

Report from the Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette, 12 October 1940 (courtesy of Find My Past)

Bissett_newspaper report on death.jpg

Thanks amazing, thank you so much 

I tried to find more information in the MGC Database. But apparently He was not transferred to the MGC until 23/6/1918 and I do not know which unit he then served with.

He was one of six men from the Royal Dublins transferred on the same day but I have been unable to find papers for any of them. Will keep digging 

From the Mac database, John was not transferred to the MGC until 23/6/1918 and I do not know which unit he then served with.

He was one of six men from the Royal Dublins transferred on the same day but I have been unable to find papers for any of them.

I do know, however, that he was wounded, since there are two war service pension cards for him, copies of which I can attach.

He was apparently injured in the face (left side of jaw). His address was given as Castlerea, Co Roscommon. He was awarded 16/-(shillings) per week (equivalent to about £150 sterling today)

where would I get records for 4th battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers ?

And if they were in the same location during the Somme as 2nd battalion Royal Irish Regiment

• Admin

From the Long Long Trail website 

4th (Extra Reserve) Battalion
August 1914 : at Dublin. A depot/training unit, it moved on mobilisation to Queenstown, going on in October 1914 to Sittingbourne but returned to Ireland at the end of 1915, going to Templemore. Moved in April 1916 to Mullingar. Went to Brocklesby in November 1917 and absorbed by 3rd Bn in May 1918.

• 1 month later...

I’m looking for some help with research on my family tree, 

His entry in the Medal Rolls shows that he was in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers (service number 27280) before he was transferred into the MGC.

A search using the RDF service number brought up a few surviving papers for him which shows that he was in the 4th Battalion RDF.

From what we can see he didn't go overseas until after 31 December 1915.

we believe that he may have served in the Somme. As on returning to Dublin, he made a trip to Kilkenny to commiserate with the family of a fallen comrade James Conroy (7790) 2nd Royal Irish Regiment. He was from Kilkenny and died in the Somme 14 June 1916. They must have shared a trench near the end. James served with the 2nd battalion Royal Irish Regiment, so they were never in the same unit , but I can’t find any evidence that both RDF and 2nd RIR served in the same areas 

my question is, could someone have moved from Dublin Fusiliers to the 2nd Royal Irish Regiment and not have it recorded on medal records?

I know the RIR were badly mauled in Ypres and could have needed replacements from other batallions

The reason we know of the trip to Kilkenny was John went on to marry James’s sister and lived in Kilkenny 

thanks

14 minutes ago, Des Moriarty said:

His entry in the Medal Rolls shows that he was in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers (service number 27280) before he was transferred into the MGC.

Please supply his full name.

And the MGC details you think apply.

M