Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Lancaster Regiment - Artillery Badge ( 202131, Pte W. G. Trewern )

RFT

My thanks to all who contributed to this topic.

My grandmother, a nurse, not only retained every letter written by my grandfather, but every single piece of correspondence both to and from the War Office,  M. of P., Pension Issue Office, The War Graves of the British Empire, Record Office, etc. 

One hundred and six years later (2023), my Grandfather's last letter home is certainly foreboding.  Dated Friday, June 22nd 1917 and addressed to his wife it opens with -

"My Darling Sue, Children & Sis Liz,"     

Letter ends with "I must draw to a close again once more.  Hoping and trusting the one above us will bring us all safely through - Goodnight dear and pleasant dreams be with you, but not for W [grandfather].  Kisses [3 lines of] for our darling Children from Daddy.  Kisses  [2 lines] these are for you darling, how I could kiss your dear sweet lips.  [Another line of kisses] Love to sis Liz, and all the friends at home . 

A Field Service Postcard, in my grandfather's handwriting, dated 12th July 1917 bears a 13th July postmark.

Two weeks later, 27 July, 1917 a telegram was dispatched to my grandmother - "O.C. 64th Casualty Clearing Station, France telegraphs 26th July Dangerously ill 202131 Pte W G Trewern 1/4th K.O.R. Lanc'r Regt gassed, regret permission to visit cannot be granted.  Terracoff Preston."  Army Form B. 104-80 dated 31st July 1917 confirms same. 

Not having received any further news, a letter from my grandmother was dispatched 8th Aug 1917 to the War Office.  Five days later, 13th Aug, Army Form B. 104-82 stamped Terrl. Force Record Office, Preston, confirms death occurred 30th July, 1917.

My grandmother was left with 2 daughters (one of whom was my mother) and an infant son.  Six months after the loss of her husband, she lost her only son.  Granny never remarried. 

Regards to all

Mrs RFT

Edited by RFT

5 minutes ago, RFT said:

My thanks to all who contributed to this topic.

My grandmother, a nurse, not only retained every letter written by my grandfather, but every single piece of correspondence both to and from the War Office,  M. of P., Pension Issue Office, The War Graves of the British Empire, Record Office, etc. 

One hundred and six years later (2023), my Grandfather's last letter home is certainly foreboding.  Dated Friday, June 22nd 1917 and addressed to his wife it opens with -

"My Darling Sue, Children & Sis Liz,"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Letter ends with "I must draw to a close again once more.  Hoping and trusting the one above us will bring us all safely through - Goodnight dear and pleasant dreams be with you, but not for W [grandfather].  Kisses [3 lines of] for our darling Children from Daddy.  Kisses  [2 lines] these are for you darling, how I could kiss your dear sweet lips.  [Another line of kisses] Love to sis Liz, and all the friends at home . 

A Field Service Postcard, in my grandfather's handwriting, dated 12th July 1917 bears a 13th July postmark.

Two weeks later, 27 July, 1917 a telegram was dispatched to my grandmother - "O.C. 64th Casualty Clearing Station, France telegraphs 26th July Dangerously ill 202131 Pte W G Trewern 1/4th K.O.R. Lanc'r Regt gassed, regret permission to visit cannot be granted.  Terracoff Preston."  Army Form B. 104-80 dated 31st July 1917 confirms same. 

Not having received any further news, a letter from my grandmother was dispatched 8th Aug 1917 to the War Office.  Five days later, 13th Aug, Army Form B. 104-82 stamped Terrl. Force Record Office, Preston, confirms death occurred 30th July, 1917.

My grandmother was left with 2 daughters (one of whom was my mother) and an infant son.  Six months after the loss of her husband, she lost her only son.  Granny never remarried. 

Regards to all

Mrs RFT

A very sad story like so many recounted here in the forum over the years.  Have you been able to research the battalion’s (1/4th) war diary for those days, as they might well add more context for you as to the circumstances of his gassing? 

Edited by FROGSMILE

Yes, a sad tale of loss.

Here's the key page of his damaged service record showing his time overseas (courtesy Findmypast whose copy is sharper than Ancestry) abd will help when looking at war diary.

gbm_wo363-4_007322641_00087.jpg.bb03fea49e191ca9dcd17c2331f1dbb7.jpg

Edited by charlie962

My husband, Rob, started this topic for me earlier today and I seem to have taken over.  Some years ago the topic of my grandfather was posted on the GWF and it appears there are no records of death in the War Diary, for the 1st/4th, on 30 July!

Edited by RFT

Just now, RFT said:

My husband, Rob, started this topic for me earlier today and I seem to have taken over.  Some years ago the topic of my grandfather was posted on the GWF and it appears there are no records of death for the 1st/4th on 30 July!

It won’t necessarily be recorded exactly when you expect depending on how long he lingered, gassing was especially terrible in that regard.

1 minute ago, RFT said:

My husband, Rob, started this topic for me earlier today and I seem to have taken over.  Some years ago the topic of my grandfather was posted on the GWF and it appears there are no records of death for the 1st/4th on 30 July!

You will see from the page I posted that he died of pneumonia at 64 Casualty Clearing Station after gassing. So gas even a bit earlier 

Just now, charlie962 said:

You will see from the page I posted that he died of pneumonia at 64 Casualty Clearing Station after gassing. So gas even a bit earlier 

Yes I was wondering if the war diary might record the gassing incident that led to so many men going to the CCS.

2 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes I was wondering if the war diary might record the gassing incident that led to so many men going to the CCS.

Gas incident must be pre 

18 minutes ago, RFT said:

64th Casualty Clearing Station, France telegraphs 26th July Dangerously ill

War Diary here on Ancestry. Gas bombardment early morning 8th July might fit? Développement of bronchial pneumonia would take a while.

Otherwise he could have been exposed as part of a working party in the following days when the battalion was at rest?

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/60779/images/43112_2922_0-00161?backlabel=ReturnSearchResults&queryId=28c5d885df53e22a607492708a31eb82&pId=524762

Edited by charlie962

Note the 4th bn did major operation on 30,31st/7/17 but Trewern had long been evacuated per the correspondence you have.

Edited by charlie962

7 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

War Diary here on Ancestry. Gas bombardment 7th July might fit? Développement of bronchial pneumonia would take a while.

Otherwise he could have been exposed as part of a working party in the following days when the battalion was at rest?

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/60779/images/43112_2922_0-00161?backlabel=ReturnSearchResults&queryId=28c5d885df53e22a607492708a31eb82&pId=524762

Wow this is fortuitous - I've just unearthed one other letter from my grandfather, dated 7th July and this undoubtedly is the last to be heard from him and, probably, tallies with the 7th July Gas bombardment.  This day is also my mother's birthday and she would have been 2 years old.

Mrs RFT

Edited by RFT

2 minutes ago, RFT said:

Wow this is fortuitous - I've just unearthed one other letter from my grandfather, dated 7th July and this undoubtedly is the last to be heard from him and, probably, tallies with the 7th July Gas bombardment.  This day is also my mother's birthday and she would have been 2 years old.

Mrs RFT

Does the letter give a clue that they were about to be relieved or that he was sick?

2 hours ago, charlie962 said:

He could have attested TF originally under Derby Scheme Dec 1915 but not been mobilised until mid1916

Yes, that is exactly what happened, it just so happens that some were sent to what were Territorial Artillery Training Schools but then renamed Reserve Brigades TF. I have notes on RFA to Training Reserve transfers so will look up this particular case and report back.

2 minutes ago, David Porter said:

Yes, that is exactly what happened, it just so happens that some were sent to what were Territorial Artillery Training Schools but then renamed Reserve Brigades TF. I have notes on RFA to Training Reserve transfers so will look up this particular case and report back.

Thanks David.

6 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Does the letter give a clue that they were about to be relieved or that he was sick?

Letter of the 7th July says he is in good health.  Little did he know that which was to come.

2 minutes ago, RFT said:

Letter of the 7th July says he is in good health.  Little did he know that which was to come.

Holding the line that day. Gassed the next morning. Dangerously Ill by the 26th from complications and dies on 30th. Really suffered.

Edited by charlie962

God almighty, I just cannot appreciate what pain my grandfather must have gone through in that intervening period following the 8th July attack.

Mrs RFT

2 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

64CCS war diary is here at National Archives and is free to download if you register. It may not name him but may show entries after the 8th and deaths the 30th July.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/25ffd75cd41244ada92bf51608e1bff7

Does it state the numbers of men who passed away on the 30th July?

26 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

War Diary here on Ancestry. Gas bombardment early morning 8th July might fit? Développement of bronchial pneumonia would take a while.

Yes those two options seem the most likely scenario Charlie. 

9 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Holding the line that day. Gassed the next morning. Dangerously Ill by the 26th from complications and dies on 30th. Really suffered.

Brilliant work Charlie, I did wonder if it might be possible to link things together and you’ve come up trumps!

7 minutes ago, RFT said:

Does it state the numbers of men who passed away on the 30th July?

I cannot access on my phone so you will have to check it out yourself. It is free. Sometimes these medical diaries have overall statistics sometimes a bit more. Depends on workload I suspect. But look for perhaps several 4th KORL men being admitted following that gassing of 8th July?

Edited by charlie962

1 hour ago, RFT said:

Field Service Postcard, in my grandfather's handwriting, dated 12th July 1917 bears a 13th July postmark

What clues does that give as to his health? He might not have wanted to worry his family and may have believed he would pull through at that time? 

Note that the battalion were still sending forward working parties to the frontline at night so your cards are the only chance of confidently narrowing down the date.

The war diary of the 1/4th gives no clues on casualties early in the month.

Perhaps a Brigade level diary has some statistics for it's battalions? 

The 64CCS diary is also important to scrutinise thoroughly. If you need help, shout here.

Edited by charlie962