Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Insignia on uniform

garywoolhouse

4 minutes ago, garywoolhouse said:

Ye it will be , I have my father's from ww2 aswell 

He would have carried it in his breast pocket.

25 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Walter DUCE, 8/13469, KOYLI - Discharged 20/7/18 GSW Shoulder - Pension claimed

DUCEW.8-13469(1).png.0137ef7684bb45757e110739ab34e54c.png

Image thanks to WFA/Fold3

The MoP pension reference of 4/MD/130  reflects Region 4 [Yorkshire region] / M [Military claim] D [surname starting D] / 160 [claim number 160]  

27/6 pw was a short 100% degree of disability pension for a pension Class V soldier / Pte - a fairly standard exercise whilst more fully sorted out..

DUCEW.8-13469(2).png.b8870096b17b593837e42faf2755bd70.png

DUCEW.8-13469(3).png.6d8603ace7a1f388400c07866bb90aa4.png

Though we can't see all pension rates paid between 20/8/18 and 1920 the reverse of this pension ledger page shows him getting better by then at the 20% rate and later a final award and then a payout of a Terminal Gratuity, £10.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add

Just in case you haven't seen his entry for his Silver War Badge, I have attached an image courtesy of Ancestry. As you can see, it shows that he enlisted on the 5th September 1914

Duce_Walter.jpg

3 minutes ago, garywoolhouse said:

I'm a member of ancestry , is fold 3 a different site ie do I have to pay extra

I believe Fold3 is the US arm of Ancestry and so an extra. https://www.fold3.com

I access WFA/Fold3 pension records through WFA membership https://www.westernfrontassociation.com - not very expensive and lots of other stuff = Recommended.

M

Edited by Matlock1418

3 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

He’s not firing it Phil, just looking at the ‘sight picture’ (aligning along the folded rear and foresight onto a distant object).  From a trench it’s usually done to check the ground clearance from a potential firing point, and thus a part of the usual siting (positioning) process.

Thanks, Frog. I notice that, in the other photo on that post, the gun is set to be fired on its bipod. Why isn’t the sighting done on bipod?

The Lewis and Vickers are usually thought as similar weapons differing only in weight but I imagine there are some real differences in the theory and practice of their use?

2 hours ago, PhilB said:

Thanks, Frog. I notice that, in the other photo on that post, the gun is set to be fired on its bipod. Why isn’t the sighting done on bipod?

The Lewis and Vickers are usually thought as similar weapons differing only in weight but I imagine there are some real differences in the theory and practice of their use?

In a hasty position such as that depicted the gun would need to be capable of fire resting on the ground with the bipod folded in the manner shown, so as to keep the head of the firer as low as possible in silhouette.

The bipod was fitted via a clamp and could be slid up and down the barrel jacket to be either forward, when firing in the prone (laying) position, or rearwards if positioned on the elbow rest of a prepared trench, or when on any suitable platform when firing from inside a house, or bunker.

Whenever possible a prepared position is better, but in fast moving situations such as an advance, or rapid withdrawal, it’s often necessary to resort to what you see in the photo concerned.  It’s a question of achieving ground clearance for the barrel, whilst having your head as low as possible.  Note how exposed the soldier is in the photo below.

IMG_0447.jpeg

IMG_0449.jpeg

IMG_0450.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

There ia a photograph of Walter Duce on IWM Lives of the First World War via FMP.

Have you read the WD of the Machine Gun Co 70 Brigade. There was the Action in June 1917. This is the page from the WD showing the Honours and Rewards. 

EDIT Walter Duce was probably wounded in this Action. He is named in a Casualty List in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph 10/07/1917 under Wounded - KOYLI as Duce (13469), L/Cpl W (Sheffield).

TNA/Ancestry WO 95/2188/3

Brian

2188 3.jpg

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info

2 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

There ia a photograph of Walter Duce on IWM Lives of the First World War via FMP.

Also direct at IWM LOTFWW https://livesofthefirstworldwar.iwm.org.uk/lifestory/1702321 - Photo under the "Media" tab [shame it is not better attributed as a better copy might be available]

M

18 minutes ago, garywoolhouse said:

SmartSelect_20231102_185937_Ancestry.jpg

Looks so young in that picture 

Typical of the teenagers that arguably formed the bedrock of the infantry from the introduction of conscription until the end of the war, reaching its pinnacle in 1918.

Edited by FROGSMILE